NCAA HOPES?

The committee doesn't give consideration to your last 10 anymore. IMO 10-8 will put the Hawks on the bubble but will fall short getting in. Being associated with the "bestest conference in the world" doesn't mean much without quality wins. Also, our non-conference schedule sucks. It's all about having a good resume.

So you are saying having wins against Wiscy, Minny, & Illinois aren't quality wins? By the time the season is over Iowa could have wins against 5 top 50 RPI teams if you throw in ISU and a hot UNI team. I know they aren't road wins but still very nice quality wins. To say they would be "without quality wins" is just not true.

All the playing in the B1G gets you is the opportunity for "good wins" and mitigates the possibility of "bad losses". If you research how the selection process is done, you will find that conference affiliation, in and of itself, means nothing. Iowa's Strength of Schedule in the non-con is hurting them badly with very few Top 50 wins and too many 100-200 and 200+ wins. Beating the bottom 3 in the B1G has little value other than avoiding a 100+ loss. VA Tech learned this the hard way year after year.

I understand how the committee works thank you, I am just saying I would be surprised that if Iowa finishes like they could that they would get stiffed barring a blow out loss in the first round of the conference tournament.

IMHO, Iowa would need a second round BTT win to feel comfortable. A first round win against a sub 100 team doesn't add much to the resume. That is assuming, of course a 5-1 finish, losing only to IU.

I don't know about the rest of you, but it sure is nice to even be having a conversation like this right now. Here's to a win tomorrow to keep this chatter alive! :cool:

I understand how the committee works thank you, I am just saying I would be surprised that if Iowa finishes like they could that they would get stiffed barring a blow out loss in the first round of the conference tournament.
It doesn't matter if the first round game is a blow out or not, it's just a loss.

All the playing in the B1G gets you is the opportunity for "good wins" and mitigates the possibility of "bad losses". If you research how the selection process is done, you will find that conference affiliation, in and of itself, means nothing. Iowa's Strength of Schedule in the non-con is hurting them badly with very few Top 50 wins and too many 100-200 and 200+ wins. Beating the bottom 3 in the B1G has little value other than avoiding a 100+ loss. VA Tech learned this the hard way year after year.
Exactly.

IMHO, Iowa would need a second round BTT win to feel comfortable. A first round win against a sub 100 team doesn't add much to the resume. That is assuming, of course a 5-1 finish, losing only to IU.

When you look at teams that finish with winning records in their conference and they beat teams that may have the better resume, the committee does then look at the head to head, they can't help but do so.

If Iowa splits with Minny, Wisky and beats Illinois, that is three very good wins with Wisconsin likely finishing ahead of Iowa in the standings. Iowa hasn't exactly embarrassed themselves against the top teams, save Michigan. If Iowa were to get to 10-8 and no bad conference losses, it would be difficult to leave them out.

There are times where conference affiliation gets teams in or there wouldn't have been was it 10 Big East teams in a few years ago when everyone said it was the greatest conference ever, but then they lost six teams in the first round. It does matter to a point, the fact that Iowa has no bad losses in conference and just one bad OOC loss.

Your reference to Virginia Tech is not comparable because one year they beat Duke twice and UNC at home, but missed the tournament and I think they finished 10-8 in the ACC, they had so many horrible losses that year despite those wins and getting 21 overall wins. Va Tech did this every year with Greenberg and it failed every year. Their OOC schedule didn't ever include anyone in a major conference, something that Iowa actually has as well.

Bad losses matter more than quality wins in a lot of cases. Just because Iowa has lost to good teams, they have some good wins as well and still some opportunity for at least 3 more. Florida State made the NCAA tourney with a 16-14 record one year playing nobody in the non-con and finished 6-12 in the "great" ACC that year. They proved they could compete and lose to good teams and beat nobody, but still made it, FSU had zero bad losses that year as well.

Thank you sportstalent, that is exactly the point I was trying to make. That's why I said barring a terrible loss in the first round of the conference tournament, it would be extremely hard for a 10-8 team in the B1G with Iowa's resume of no bad losses to be left out.

Wow, ILHawk recruited some friends to share his views. Or are those alts? :)

I still say 9-9 and 1 win in the BTT gets Iowa on the bubble. That puts Iowa 21-12 overall, finishing .500 in the toughest conference, and having won 7 of their last 10 games.

Thank you sportstalent, that is exactly the point I was trying to make. That's why I said barring a terrible loss in the first round of the conference tournament, it would be extremely hard for a 10-8 team in the B1G with Iowa's resume of no bad losses to be left out.

PSU made it a few years ago with no bad losses, so the committee thought anyway, losing to Maine was pretty bad, but anyway they had to beat some big boys of the league to get in the discussion at all because they had no real good wins and some road losses that weren't considered bad.

This all becomes a moot point anyway if Iowa loses tomorrow, or any other game against someone not named Indiana.

It is fun bantering back and forth on Iowa's chances. Winning at Purdue was a game that Iowa needed, it would have allowed them to slip up somewhere down the stretch, but be that as it may, Iowa just has to do their job, it won't be easy and there has been nobody who has stepped up in the shooting department as Gatens did last year around this time.

It is a challenge, but the opportunity is there, more realistic than it has been since Iowa's last tournament appearance, but remember this team will have everyone back, save for May, who has indeed given me the middle finger this season and I love it.

Let's just win out...will make all of our threads/discussions on this moot. We all agree that they make it at 11-7 so let's just do that. It will be far less stressful and I don't care for Indiana.

^^ Haha agreed, I am just ecstatic to be able to talk about it right now. The team just needs to take care of business like you said and things will fall into place.

PSU made it a few years ago with no bad losses, so the committee thought anyway, losing to Maine was pretty bad, but anyway they had to beat some big boys of the league to get in the discussion at all because they had no real good wins and some road losses that weren't considered bad.

This all becomes a moot point anyway if Iowa loses tomorrow, or any other game against someone not named Indiana.

It is fun bantering back and forth on Iowa's chances. Winning at Purdue was a game that Iowa needed, it would have allowed them to slip up somewhere down the stretch, but be that as it may, Iowa just has to do their job, it won't be easy and there has been nobody who has stepped up in the shooting department as Gatens did last year around this time.

It is a challenge, but the opportunity is there, more realistic than it has been since Iowa's last tournament appearance, but remember this team will have everyone back, save for May, who has indeed given me the middle finger this season and I love it.

They also had some players that were mature and some real gamers.

What did that have to do with their NCAA resume?

I don't think you understand how this works. Yes the computers do a lot of work, but in the end there are decisions to be made. Two equally deserving/undeserving teams are decided by committee. Yes there had to be a bit of sentiment to that.

Latest posts