NCAA HOPES?

It's as simple as this. We win Sunday, we have a prayer. We lose? It's over unless we catch fire in the BIG Tournament, which, realistically we win one game and then run into a buzzsaw / top ranked team. We need a few kids, namely Marble, White, and Mikey G, to step up big time and to send the Goofers back home in a bad, bad mood. It's put-up or shut-up time.

From ESPN:
8. Iowa. Not much new to report on the Iowa front. Sure, the Hawkeyes struggled at Penn State Thursday night, but they won, which at least kept their still-mostly-theoretical tournament hopes alive. Sunday's game might be their biggest of the season. With a home win over RPI-favorite Minnesota, Iowa could get at least some sort of RPI boost, something to put them in reasonable Bubble Watch territory.

Last edited:
A loss tomorrow would hurt bigtime. But I think they would still be able to go 4-1 down the stretch and go into the tournament with hope.

In my eyes, that's pretty much the case every game the rest of this year (aside from the IU game). Though I suppose we could go 9-9 and if we win a couple in the BTT with one of those wins being over a top ranked team, or going 9-9 with a win and we'd be in.

That's a much, much tougher road though the road we're on is pretty tough as well.

**** it, just win tomorrow.

Our NCAA tournament pretty much started against NW...lose and we're out. I do believe we get 1 mulligan but I strongly suggest saving it for the road game at Indiana...not optimistic that we can get that win to make up for a loss elsewhere.

I think every Big Ten team should be tournament ready this year. We've all been playing Sweet 16 caliber teams since December 31. I don't see any team in the conference trembling at the sight of Kansas State, UCLA, North Carolina, etc.

I believe that what Iowa really needs is RPI Top 50 wins. There are three oppotunities left in the regular season, MINN, ILL, and IU. NEB and PUR are sub 100 teams and wins only help toward the overall record. It has been made pretty clear over the last several years that who you play and who you beat is paramount. Iowa would go a longway towrad their hopes by beating all three of them, plus the others of course. The reason that MINN and ILL are considered by most to be in and Iowa not is apparent from the RPI record comparison below, which does not break down road/neutral wins, of which ILL has two (GONZ, BUT) and MINN one (ILL) in the Top 50. The mock selection process this week by the NCAA bears that out.

1-50 51-100 101-200 201+
IOWA 2-7 1-0 3-2 10-0
MINN 4-6 8-0 3-1 3-0
ILL 5-6 2-0 5-2 5-0

Last edited:
Not a surprise here, Iowa has to win out at home and only loss can be against IU on the road...finish 10-8 and even if they lose in the BTT first round, it would be tough to leave a 10-win Big Ten team out of the tournament.

Think about where they may finish in the standings if they win 10, as high as 6?

With this scenario we're guaranteed no worse than a tie for 6th and the 6 seed in the tournament unless Minnesota wins out...highly unlikely.

Not a surprise here, Iowa has to win out at home and only loss can be against IU on the road...finish 10-8 and even if they lose in the BTT first round, it would be tough to leave a 10-win Big Ten team out of the tournament.

Think about where they may finish in the standings if they win 10, as high as 6?

In my eyes, that's pretty much the case every game the rest of this year (aside from the IU game). Though I suppose we could go 9-9 and if we win a couple in the BTT with one of those wins being over a top ranked team, or going 9-9 with a win and we'd be in.

That's a much, much tougher road though the road we're on is pretty tough as well.

**** it, just win tomorrow.

Pls explain how 9-9 and 1 BIG tourney win propels Iowa into the tourney.

I would be shocked if a 10-8 team in this year's B1G were to be left out of the tourney. Just can't see that happening.

I would be shocked if a 10-8 team in this year's B1G were to be left out of the tourney. Just can't see that happening.
By playing all of the bottom teams up to Illinois twice and a miserable SoS.

Prepare to be shocked unless they pile up so good wins, which in the B1G they have only.....one.

If MN and IL are anywhere close to Iowa on wins, they will go. There are not strong odds of 8 teams in the dance.

Last edited by a moderator:
By playing all of the bottom teams up to Illinois twice and a miserable SoS.

Prepare to be shocked unless they pile up so good wins, which in the B1G they have only.....one.

If MN and IL are anywhere close to Iowa one wins, they will go. There are not strong odds of 8 teams in the dance.

Guess we'll have to find out, but Iowa has to do their work before we are shocked.

I think Nebby is dissing us:

"At the moment, Michigan State is the only ranked team among NU's final three home opponents this season, meaning tonight might be the last chance for the Huskers to pull off one last stunner before leaving the Devaney Center for good. It would seem the table is set for that to happen, as the Spartans are coming off a huge emotional win over rival Michigan earlier this week and have a showdown with No. 1 Indiana looming next week. If MSU was to ever overlook an opponent, this would seem to be it."

I think Nebby is dissing us:

"At the moment, Michigan State is the only ranked team among NU's final three home opponents this season, meaning tonight might be the last chance for the Huskers to pull off one last stunner before leaving the Devaney Center for good. It would seem the table is set for that to happen, as the Spartans are coming off a huge emotional win over rival Michigan earlier this week and have a showdown with No. 1 Indiana looming next week. If MSU was to ever overlook an opponent, this would seem to be it."

Good

If Indiana is the only loss Iowa gets the rest of the regular season, no matter what they do in the conference tournament they will end up with a 7-3 L10 game stretch. Couple that with a 10-8 record in the best conference in America. IMHO they would have to get completely blown out in round one of the B1G tourney to get stiffed from the big dance.

If Indiana is the only loss Iowa gets the rest of the regular season, no matter what they do in the conference tournament they will end up with a 7-3 L10 game stretch. Couple that with a 10-8 record in the best conference in America. IMHO they would have to get completely blown out in round one of the B1G tourney to get stiffed from the big dance.
The committee doesn't give consideration to your last 10 anymore. IMO 10-8 will put the Hawks on the bubble but will fall short getting in. Being associated with the "bestest conference in the world" doesn't mean much without quality wins. Also, our non-conference schedule sucks. It's all about having a good resume.

Latest posts