NCAA concussion rules change

I don't remember any notable cases in wrestling this past year, but I wonder if this isn't at least partly an outgrowth of the increased awareness of the dangers of concussion that have been exposed in the NFL. I suspect all contact sports are re-evaluating their procedures for making sure that athletes with concussions are competing again too soon.

My wife is a certified athletic trainer for a local high school. In all of her sports, she typically needs to make the calls as to whether or not a kid can continue to "go". I don't think that this rule is really any different from the current process. My guess is that most NCAA wrestling teams have a trainer present at their events. Those trainers will treat the injured and be sure that they are ok before they are allowed to return to competition. Now, it will be interesting to see if the NCAA goes further with the concussion concerns. There are some standards out there that require the athlete to remain "symptom free" (i.e. no headache, nausea) for a certain amount of time (24-48 hours) before they can return back to practice.

I know that Coe had a wrestler this year, that was more or less with held from competition for most of this year due to a concussion and lingernig symptoms.

I know it's not NCAA but it does make you think of the Koethe - Trizzino match at the state tournament this year.

sp is right not a whole lot of change hopefully we don't see a change in those weight classes is what im concerned about

I am not sure about the rules changes vs what is currently being done but the world of concussions is rapidly changing because of the data that is finally out there. What is said in this article is not much different from everyday competition. I have seen some wrestling coaches try to bypass medical professionals and try to dicate to some degrees the athletes return to play. It happens in many sports but I can think of it most often in wrestling. I am an athletic trainer and physical therapist and there will only be further changes to the rules at all levels over the next few years. Especially young athletes have been returning to competition too early and many are having look term effects.

To add what Hawk94 wrote: Yes, athletic trainers are pressured by some coaches to get their injured back on the field/mat. I personally saw a coach (his school shall remain nameless), where the kid bounced his head off of the mat. The kid was concussed. My wife left the mat after telling the ref and the coach that the kid should be done. We she returned to her seat, the matched continued. Since it was not her athlete, she flagged down her AD, but the match was soon over. That was a bad deal.

Latest posts