NBC Brings in Notre Dame?

My son, who lives in CA and streams every Hawk game, was disappointed to see CBS become part of the mix. He said ESPN has the best streaming service and quality, FOX also very good. CBS absolutely the worst: requires $10 to stream any game out there and not as good quality. Hopefully in this contract the BTen requires CBS to get their streaming shit together.

Tell your son to pony up $65 a month and get YouTube TV. Certainly, of the 8 other people he lives with in the 1,000 square foot home or apt, they can all afford $9 a month.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the product get diluted if more teams were added? This doesn't make sense. One would think if reducing teams that the product would get better or a bit stronger.

With baseball, I think the most talented athletes are going to other sports. What you state about travel teams and many athletes not having that chance is true. There are many great athletes that are great on the playground or field but are left behind, because they never got the chance or instruction playing on a club or travel team. There are a ton of kids that could have ended up successful in sports that are left behind.

Some will play later on their school teams who are fairly athletic but lack the knowledge and discipline needed for the game or their potential position. They think they can start late or when there isn't a lot of $$$$ to pay, but ends up being to late to catch up to what the teammates are doing.

The bigger schools are still always going to have the advantage, just by the shear number of athletes. You see this with depth. There are players at my boys' school who will not make the basketball team next year but would start at almost any other smaller school. Their class is just loaded with top talent in basketball. They had 2 freshman teams that pretty much went undefeated. I think maybe only a couple losses between them.
Yes it's complex. Fewer teams would help fight dilution. But the game has issues outside of certain areas. Illinois for example I believe is one place where football is in serious trouble at the HS level. A lot goes into that equation. Start with degradation of finances from the state budget issues and a negative population growth state. I also think there is a correlation between parental education level and football participation due to injuries, particularly brain issues. Not only are city schools seeing a major issue with participation numbers, but suburban schools are as well. Where football seems to be thriving are smaller communities that are located away from universities. Thus fewer people with college degrees are parenting football players. Iowa's population is one of the lowest as a percentage with 4 year degrees. City schools also don't have as many kids that play in youth leagues. Same w/ baseball. Not so with BB as much but you are seeing even in BB smaller suburban schools competing quite well with city schools.

Regardless it will be interesting to see college football changes. It might just be to Iowa's advantage... at least for awhile.

Guessing that can be in a range of $75M to $85M per school.

So the question is what does NBC need to offer ND to stay independent? I am guessing at least $50M would be enough to wait for ND's non-football agreement to run out with ACC in 2033 or whatever the date is. Anything less than $50M, I am guessing ND will break its contract with the ACC and join the Big Ten right away in 2024.

Another interesting question. Would Washington, Oregon or Standford be willing to take less than a full share to join the Big Ten?. The PAC is only supposed to get $30M per school, unless they go to unequal sharing. So I am guessing the PAC schools will take any Big Ten offer that is more than $40M per school, especially if it's just a temporary reduction like say 5 to 10 years before they get a full share.

ND is a national brand and being part of a conference will dilute that. Yes, their fanbase, alumni, administration, etc. are all elitist and snobbish, but you can see why ND will wait until it makes financial sense to join the B1G. Right now, ND doesn't have to chase the B1G and vice versa the B1G doesn't need to jerk off ND. It is a stalemate until the B1G can force ND to blink.

ND. Stay away from the BT. Arrogant pricks.
Yes, I TOTALLY agree with your point about them being arrogant. Having said that, they are a huge acquisition, and I think they would be challenged to win as much as they might want in the B1G. They would put the Big Ten on top in terms of money, prestige, and national reach.

Also, USC is also the same brand of arrogant pricks and they're in.

Yes it's complex. Fewer teams would help fight dilution. But the game has issues outside of certain areas. Illinois for example I believe is one place where football is in serious trouble at the HS level. A lot goes into that equation. Start with degradation of finances from the state budget issues and a negative population growth state. I also think there is a correlation between parental education level and football participation due to injuries, particularly brain issues. Not only are city schools seeing a major issue with participation numbers, but suburban schools are as well. Where football seems to be thriving are smaller communities that are located away from universities. Thus fewer people with college degrees are parenting football players. Iowa's population is one of the lowest as a percentage with 4 year degrees. City schools also don't have as many kids that play in youth leagues. Same w/ baseball. Not so with BB as much but you are seeing even in BB smaller suburban schools competing quite well with city schools.

Regardless it will be interesting to see college football changes. It might just be to Iowa's advantage... at least for awhile.
Great points.

Nah, I like Pitt. Adds a little more balance to the east, and the Iowa/Pitt games have always been a blast. It also would Allow Pitt to be in a division with Penn State and continue that rivalry in perpetuity. I watch that game every time they play and it's awesome. Crowd is nuts.
I also like Pitt, and Iowa/Pitt and PSU/Pitt would be great games.

Having said that, Oregon is a big national brand, whereas Pitt just hasn't been that in recent years. Also, there is some potential that keeping west coast rivalries alive is at least a little intriguing. I'm sure UCLA and USC are salivating to play Rutger and Indiana.

Obviously, getting ND is the big one, but I would enjoy seeing Washington, Oregon, Stanford, and Cal in the Big Ten. It would lock up the west coast. I realize I just proposed an odd number, but some version of this would be the best situation, IMHO.

While we're re-aligning, could we trade Maryland and Rutgers to the ACC for ND and Pitt?
Add Washington, Oregon, Stanford & Cal.
Call it a day.

While we're re-aligning, could we trade Maryland and Rutgers to the ACC for ND and Pitt?
Add Washington, Oregon, Stanford & Cal.
Call it a day.
Deal. Playing Rutger and Maryland STILL feels like a lame OOC game. I don't think I would feel the same about those teams you mentioned.

B1G has to go to 24, Add Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, ND, Pitt. and 2 more teams in the East and have 4 pods of 6.

B1G has to go to 24, Add Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, ND, Pitt. and 2 more teams in the East and have 4 pods of 6.

I don't see obvious opportunities to open new markets to the east unless the ACC blows up it's Grant of Rights deal. I think I would go more heavily west, with the teams you mentioned plus Az St and Colorado. Perhaps swap Pitt for Kansas.

Perhaps swap Pitt for Kansas.
I get the intent, but the B1G isn't going to add anyone that doesn't bring at least mediocre football.

Kansas has won 6 conference games in the last decade. Rutgers has won 20 conference games in that same span.

Kansas is among the absolute cream of the crop in basketball, but that is still tiny potatoes compared to even run-of-the-mill football team revenue.

I get the intent, but the B1G isn't going to add anyone that doesn't bring at least mediocre football.

Kansas has won 6 conference games in the last decade. Rutgers has won 20 conference games in that same span.

Kansas is among the absolute cream of the crop in basketball, but that is still tiny potatoes compared to even run-of-the-mill football team revenue.

No shit, and it's about eyes on the TV, particularly for football. The BIG is not interested in that market with a population of 2.9 mil.

Yes, I TOTALLY agree with your point about them being arrogant. Having said that, they are a huge acquisition, and I think they would be challenged to win as much as they might want in the B1G. They would put the Big Ten on top in terms of money, prestige, and national reach.

Also, USC is also the same brand of arrogant pricks and they're in.
You gotta believe ND coaches and those in the know at the school are right to realize losing control of their schedule and playing in the Big would lower their chances to get into the college playoffs. Instead of having to get up for three or four games a year strategically positioned to avoid trap games makes going undefeated a possibility. WOULD not happen if they played in the Big. They simple couldn't avoid playing back to back ranked teams and of course Ohio State.

I doubt the B1G expands anymore if ND stays independent. There are no more schools out West that will increase the value. Not even Oregon. Hell, their president is leaving to become Northwestern’s president. You would think if there was an invite, he’d want to see that through.