NBC Brings in Notre Dame?

1.5 billion

That's the number that is floating around that the B1G will receive for it's media rights. I will let the smart people figure out what that is per school. 2025 is when their deal is up with NBC...will the number per school be more than ND could get being an independent?

ND. Stay away from the BT. Arrogant pricks.
Can you at least admit you’d send Nebraska back to the Little 12 and replace them with ND in a heartbeat?

Arrogant as hell and perennially overrated, but squarely within the Big Ten footprint and a net gain in competition. Short of realignment or scrapping of divisions this move would also bring greater parity to the East-West divisions.

I am sick of Nebbie fans and there constant bitching about the Big 10. So, here is what I would do if I was stupid Nebraska. I would approach the remnants of the Pac 12 and Big 12 and suggest forming a super-conference called the Big Pac 12. There would be two 10-team divisions that would play a 9 game schedule just in the division and the winners play in a championship game. In essence, it would be two conferences that band together for TV money, but don't really cross divisions except for the championship game. You would have to toss out West Virginia and Cinci, but hey, they could land in the ACC once the SEC steals Clemson and FSU.

Anyway, the Big 12 Division would be the three Texas schools, Okie State, KSU, Kan, ISU, Nebbie, Colorado, and Boise.

The Pac 12 Division would be the 9 remaining Pac 12 schools plus BYU.

That is a balanced conference, big enough to get a damn good TV contract, and should have enough juice to have a seat at the table for whatever format the playoffs take. Nebbie would finally be the big swinging dick they have been seeking to be since the Big 8 expanded.

Go for it Nebbie. Tired of hearing your bitchy fans complaining about being irrelevant in the Big10. Downgrade your conference affiliation and try to be relevant again. Bok bok.

Can you at least admit you’d send Nebraska back to the Little 12 and replace them with ND in a heartbeat?

Arrogant as hell and perennially overrated, but squarely within the Big Ten footprint and a net gain in competition. Short of realignment or scrapping of divisions this move would also bring greater parity to the East-West divisions.
Good points. 60 years of hating ND is tough to forget.

1.5 billion

That's the number that is floating around that the B1G will receive for it's media rights. I will let the smart people figure out what that is per school. 2025 is when their deal is up with NBC...will the number per school be more than ND could get being an independent?
Guessing that can be in a range of $75M to $85M per school.

So the question is what does NBC need to offer ND to stay independent? I am guessing at least $50M would be enough to wait for ND's non-football agreement to run out with ACC in 2033 or whatever the date is. Anything less than $50M, I am guessing ND will break its contract with the ACC and join the Big Ten right away in 2024.

Another interesting question. Would Washington, Oregon or Standford be willing to take less than a full share to join the Big Ten?. The PAC is only supposed to get $30M per school, unless they go to unequal sharing. So I am guessing the PAC schools will take any Big Ten offer that is more than $40M per school, especially if it's just a temporary reduction like say 5 to 10 years before they get a full share.

I wonder if scheduling difficulties in the future and the possibility that ND would have to schedule 3 MAC teams a season and reduce their possibility of a playoff run be what eventually makes them join a conference.

The BIG, after being turned down by ND so many times, should make a conference rule that no BIG 10 team can schedule ND going forward.

I'm at the point to say screw them and I'd be willing to live without the benefits they could bring. They just seem like they'd be another Texas where they would want to move the goal posts in the conference for them and have specialized treatment. The BIG does not operate like that.

Again, I think eventually it's going to come down to ND having to field a competitive schedule to be nationally relevant that will dictate what they do.

I wonder if scheduling difficulties in the future and the possibility that ND would have to schedule 3 MAC teams a season and reduce their possibility of a playoff run be what eventually makes them join a conference.

The BIG, after being turned down by ND so many times, should make a conference rule that no BIG 10 team can schedule ND going forward.

I'm at the point to say screw them and I'd be willing to live without the benefits they could bring. They just seem like they'd be another Texas where they would want to move the goal posts in the conference for them and have specialized treatment. The BIG does not operate like that.

Again, I think eventually it's going to come down to ND having to field a competitive schedule to be nationally relevant that will dictate what they do.
I think the Big Ten money provides enough incentive. No need to be mean or petty if Notre Dame turns down the Big Ten again.

My son, who lives in CA and streams every Hawk game, was disappointed to see CBS become part of the mix. He said ESPN has the best streaming service and quality, FOX also very good. CBS absolutely the worst: requires $10 to stream any game out there and not as good quality. Hopefully in this contract the BTen requires CBS to get their streaming shit together.

This is all a scramble to save the game with fewer relevant teams. Like Walnut Grove getting blown up in the series final. Locally several HS's have dropped football and the city schools are failing to field freshman teams. The product is getting deluted. Since the early 10s Iowa has noticeably improved team speed compared to others. Begining to wonder if what it means is that overall college speed is down due to lower HS participation. Maybe in the contraction, Iowa's style will fair better as they do coach up some positions with strength and conditioning.

Pitt averaged 45k fans last year. Washington I think in the 50s which is getting close to IL.

MLB is having attendance issues. Lots of reasons including I think a watering down of talent. Think about it, kids that play in HS do a lot of travel. That leaves out athletes as many can't afford or don't get the opportunity to travel. Bigger schools now oft have a talent drop compared to smaller schools where there are good travel programs. So in the end maybe both sports have lesser talent.

How much will teams like ISU, NW and others put up with getting pummeled as we go forward and attendance drops?

Add Notre Dame, Pitt, Stanford, and Washington. 4 divisions of 5 teams.

Bam.

And put Nebraska in the "Pacific" division with USC, UCLA, Stanford, and Washington. I think I would feel sorry for them if that happened.

My son, who lives in CA and streams every Hawk game, was disappointed to see CBS become part of the mix. He said ESPN has the best streaming service and quality, FOX also very good. CBS absolutely the worst: requires $10 to stream any game out there and not as good quality. Hopefully in this contract the BTen requires CBS to get their streaming shit together.

I suspect that CBS would want the Big Ten to replace the SEC game of the week at 3:30 that they are losing and that it would be OTA. I think they will put the #2/3 Big Ten game in that slot because Fox will get pick 1 for Big Noon. I think CBS views their basketball deal as pretty important because there's a bit of a sports lull when the conference tournaments are on and they probably want to hang on to the Big Ten and that marquee Sunday slot right before the selection show.

I suspect that CBS would want the Big Ten to replace the SEC game of the week at 3:30 that they are losing and that it would be OTA. I think they will put the #2/3 Big Ten game in that slot because Fox will get pick 1 for Big Noon. I think CBS views their basketball deal as pretty important because there's a bit of a sports lull when the conference tournaments are on and they probably want to hang on to the Big Ten and that marquee Sunday slot right before the selection show.
Wrong sport, but in my opinion CBS has the best basketball coverage of any network. A big part of it is their audio. Lots of crowd noise and close in shots. CBS' slow mo is the best in the biz as well.

Now if Jim Nance could just get permanent laryngitis we'd be all set.

This is all a scramble to save the game with fewer relevant teams. Like Walnut Grove getting blown up in the series final. Locally several HS's have dropped football and the city schools are failing to field freshman teams. The product is getting deluted. Since the early 10s Iowa has noticeably improved team speed compared to others. Begining to wonder if what it means is that overall college speed is down due to lower HS participation. Maybe in the contraction, Iowa's style will fair better as they do coach up some positions with strength and conditioning.

Pitt averaged 45k fans last year. Washington I think in the 50s which is getting close to IL.

MLB is having attendance issues. Lots of reasons including I think a watering down of talent. Think about it, kids that play in HS do a lot of travel. That leaves out athletes as many can't afford or don't get the opportunity to travel. Bigger schools now oft have a talent drop compared to smaller schools where there are good travel programs. So in the end maybe both sports have lesser talent.

How much will teams like ISU, NW and others put up with getting pummeled as we go forward and attendance drops?

Wouldn't the product get diluted if more teams were added? This doesn't make sense. One would think if reducing teams that the product would get better or a bit stronger.

With baseball, I think the most talented athletes are going to other sports. What you state about travel teams and many athletes not having that chance is true. There are many great athletes that are great on the playground or field but are left behind, because they never got the chance or instruction playing on a club or travel team. There are a ton of kids that could have ended up successful in sports that are left behind.

Some will play later on their school teams who are fairly athletic but lack the knowledge and discipline needed for the game or their potential position. They think they can start late or when there isn't a lot of $$$$ to pay, but ends up being to late to catch up to what the teammates are doing.

The bigger schools are still always going to have the advantage, just by the shear number of athletes. You see this with depth. There are players at my boys' school who will not make the basketball team next year but would start at almost any other smaller school. Their class is just loaded with top talent in basketball. They had 2 freshman teams that pretty much went undefeated. I think maybe only a couple losses between them.

Last edited: