Naysayers....have you changed your tune?

83Hawk

Banned
After the Campbell loss there were many on here saying this team was terrible..wouldn't win a game in the Big 10...couldn't compete...maybe Fran should be fired, etc, etc, etc.

But some of us urged patience. Fran is a good coach and WILL get the job done.

I think we saw this Iowa team make great strides these past 2 games. Yes, there will be some backward steps taken but Fran has Iowa BB back on track and heading in the right direction.

No, they still won't be a tournament team this year, but the future is bright.

I couldn't be more proud of the team today. They kept their composure, played great defense, and hit big shots down the stretch to pull out a win in one of the toughest places to play in college basketball.

I had not lost any faith in Fran, even after the Campbell game.. But at that point, I was thinking that this year was going to be pretty bad nonethless. Today's game has got me excited for the future of Iowa hoops once again.

Cartwright is back, Aaron White is going to be a VERY good player, as is Devyn Marble.

I don't pretend that we've taken the last of our lumps this year, but I love what Fran's doing with this program. I can't wait for a couple years from now when Fran has got a roster full of his players. Good times are coming.

I love how almost all of the main contributors are guys Fran brought in himself. Can't wait to see what next year's freshmen look like. I think we are witnessing the resurrection Iowa Basketball.

Never though Fran should be fired, that's dumb but I never thought, after the Campbell game, that they'd be able to pull off a win like today. Hell, if they had gone undefeated up until this game I never thought they'd win this game.

I enjoyed the win as much as anyone but I think people need to keep in mind that Wisconsin had a horrible shooting game and we all should just sit back and enjoy this team growing in the next couple of years.

It's pretty simple. If you follow Iowa basketball at all, you know that Fran's past teams have relied on having a good PG. The fact that Iowa has only one true PG in BC hurts how this system is played.

Iowa has Gessel and Clemmons coming in next year to play the point. Also with Ingram and Marble being others who will be able to back up that position if needed is HUGE. There will not only be competition now for that spot but also depth and depth in a fast paced offense is big.

Next year you will see a big turn around.

It's pretty simple. If you follow Iowa basketball at all, you know that Fran's past teams have relied on having a good PG. The fact that Iowa has only one true PG in BC hurts how this system is played.

Iowa has Gessel and Clemmons coming in next year to play the point. Also with Ingram and Marble being others who will be able to back up that position if needed is HUGE. There will not only be competition now for that spot but also depth and depth in a fast paced offense is big.

After watching yesterday's game next year we should be favored to win the Big Ten.

Good post. McCaffrey is getting the most out of mismatched parts, but I agree, the added PG depth will help on both ends of the court. WI relies on Taylor almost exclusively to get them into their offense, so we didn't have to content with multiple quick guards like Purde has.

Another classic overreaction. We saw the negative overreact with the loss to CAMPBELL (yes this still happened) and now the positive overreact with the Wisconsin win. There are a lot of games in a basketball season. When I start seeing some consistency and nice run of games then I may change my tune. If I'm honest with myself I still say that we are going nowhere this year, Basabe is still worrying, Marble could be a flash in the pan (I do not believe this he has too much pedigree) and there is still plenty of dead weight to get rid of.

Also, with Woodbury coming in next year, the game plan is going to change if his skills are to be maximized. Next year may be more of an adjustment season than this one.

Another classic overreaction. We saw the negative overreact with the loss to CAMPBELL (yes this still happened) and now the positive overreact with the Wisconsin win. There are a lot of games in a basketball season. When I start seeing some consistency and nice run of games then I may change my tune. If I'm honest with myself I still say that we are going nowhere this year, Basabe is still worrying, Marble could be a flash in the pan (I do not believe this he has too much pedigree) and there is still plenty of dead weight to get rid of.

Also, with Woodbury coming in next year, the game plan is going to change if his skills are to be maximized. Next year may be more of an adjustment season than this one.
Wow. Thanks Mr Wetblanket. This is FM's gameplan. He isn't changing it for Woodbury. Nor will he need to.
To the OP: I don't recall seeing any threads calling for FM to be fired. I knew this season would be up and down. I had no idea the lows would be this low (loss to Campbell) and the highs would be this high ( win @ Wisky) There are more bad losses coming, and yes, I think we will get a few quality wins. The roller coaster ride will continue. We're at the top now. Enjoy it while it lasts.

It was great victory, especially being at Wiscy. We've seen consecutive competitive games against 2 good teams.

Really my only concern moving forward is the 3 point shot. Wiscy shot 3 for 28. Make only a couple more and this game could have been a different story.

It was great victory, especially being at Wiscy. We've seen consecutive competitive games against 2 good teams.

Really my only concern moving forward is the 3 point shot. Wiscy shot 3 for 28. Make only a couple more and this game could have been a different story.

Yeah and if we'd have hit 5-10 from 3 the game would have been much different too....what's your point? They were the idiots that kept hoisting them up particularly Brust who looked like he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Latest posts