Nathan Stanley

JoeyLabasForPresident

Alright guys, how does Stanley perform this year? Does he make another run at some of Chuck Long’s records? Does he have enough added tools around him to take the next step? Will he be able to hit those deep wide open receivers? And for that matter, will there be more than five plays with open receivers that aren’t TEs this year?

There are a number of areas where Stanley can improve.

Stanley's lack of mobility and fumbles under pressure last year are a concern. If he can show he can run every once and a while to pick up a first down, that will help.

Plus although he had a low number of interceptions, he also had low completion rate. This suggests he could take some more risks with his passes that also help pick up a few more first downs.

Still not sure if Stanley can take it to the next level. But it's too early to say he has hit his ceiling. Hopefully Stanley will shift into a higher gear this year. Hopefully Mansel will also get some decent playing time this year to see what he can do. Guessing the other guy will redshirt.

There are a number of areas where Stanley can improve.

Stanley's lack of mobility and fumbles under pressure last year are a concern. If he can show he can run every once and a while to pick up a first down, that will help.

Plus although he had a low number of interceptions, he also had low completion rate. This suggests he could take some more risks with his passes that also help pick up a few more first downs.

Still not sure if Stanley can take it to the next level. But it's too early to say he has hit his ceiling. Hopefully Stanley will shift into a higher gear this year. Hopefully Mansel will also get some decent playing time this year to see what he can do. Guessing the other guy will redshirt.

Something that's come up often... but I wouldn't hold your breath.

I said it last year after the Iowa State game, I believe Nathan Stanley will be right there with the best QBs in Iowa History. Whether the team performs to the Long era (Rose Bowl), Banks season (Orange Bowl), or Stanzi season (Orange Bowl) is a good question and too early to tell. That being said, he improved greatly throughout the season. He can make the throws...all of them. He just needs more experience.

I honestly think he benefits by having Brian Ferentz at OC. He's proven he's going to take deep shots, get the ball in the seams with the TEs, and scheme to get his best players the ball. If Stanley's arm is the best chance we have to win in a particular game...I think we throw it 35-40 times if necessary. The biggest challenge we have is whether we can consistently protect him. That's been a problem over the past few years. If he has time, his completion percentage is much, much better. Hopefully, he is also better under pressure too this year too.

Nathan Stanley is the best punter on the team.

Chuck was a very accurate passer and Hayden seemed to utilize the WR passing game much more than Ferentz.

Ferentz needs to stand to TE's up at the end of the line and have Stanley do a 7 backwards (face towards downfield the whole time) step drop back. Those were the innovative things that Hayden tried.

If Stanley were to be just a little bit better I can't see why he wouldn't do great. He should only have a better report with his receivers. I think Brandon Smith will be an upgrade over what Vandeberg contributed last yr. TEs will be great I only hope we use them more. Easley and Smith Marsette should be pretty good. So long as the Oline plays well I don't see why Stanley would not do at least as well. That's the X factor to me is will he be in 3rd and longs a lot due to a lack of running game and not have much time to pass. Because if the Oline is doing their job everyone elses is easier

I said it last year after the Iowa State game, I believe Nathan Stanley will be right there with the best QBs in Iowa History. Whether the team performs to the Long era (Rose Bowl), Banks season (Orange Bowl), or Stanzi season (Orange Bowl) is a good question and too early to tell. That being said, he improved greatly throughout the season. He can make the throws...all of them. He just needs more experience.

I honestly think he benefits by having Brian Ferentz at OC. He's proven he's going to take deep shots, get the ball in the seams with the TEs, and scheme to get his best players the ball. If Stanley's arm is the best chance we have to win in a particular game...I think we throw it 35-40 times if necessary. The biggest challenge we have is whether we can consistently protect him. That's been a problem over the past few years. If he has time, his completion percentage is much, much better. Hopefully, he is also better under pressure too this year too.

Be careful. You're getting that glass half full of kook-aid kind of feeling already and it's only June.

I would expect pass pro to be improved from maturation of the OTs and run blocking to take a hit from graduation/Draft. With Wadley also gone, Stanley will have more on his shoulders.

Wadley had 28 catches, 350 yards and 3 touchdowns receiving out of the backfield. Can Young and IKM replicate that?

Either way the WR's need to step up in a major way.

Be careful. You're getting that glass half full of kook-aid kind of feeling already and it's only June.

Understood. I'm actually trying to be objective too. The guy threw 26 TDs as a sophomore. He's got a cannon and he's shown he can be accurate without pressure. I'm not sure how you can argue the WRs won't be better. The TEs are already on par with the best in the country. It all boils down to the offensive line. How much do the young tackles improve and can we find a center that can pull it all together up front.

Even without Wadley, Daniels, and Welch...i think this is going to be a much better offensive team. The maturation of the WRs is the key. It would be nice to see Smith emerge or Tracy come in and make an impact. Either way...we have more options that are plausible "break out players" than I can remember (Smith, ISM, IKM, Tracy, Toren Young).

There is something about Stanley that tells me he doesn't regress. The big question is whether we can protect him on clear throwing downs...2nd and long...3rd and long. There are so many opportunities with his arm...he can throw the deep outs (not something we have shown) and seam routes with the velocity of an NFL QB. He started to show some nice touch on deeper balls too. I just think this kid has a break out season if the offensive line performs.

Then, 2018 sets us up for the National Championship run in 2019. :)

Last edited:
Understood. I'm actually trying to be objective too. The guy threw 26 TDs as a sophomore. He's got a cannon and he's shown he can be accurate without pressure. I'm not sure how you can argue the WRs won't be better. The TEs are already on par with the best in the country. It all boils down to the offensive line. How much do the young tackles improve and can we find a center that can pull it all together up front.

Even without Wadley, Daniels, and Welch...i think this is going to be a much better offensive team. The maturation of the WRs is the key. It would be nice to see Smith emerge or Tracy come in and make an impact. Either way...we have more options that are plausible "break out players" than I can remember (Smith, ISM, IKM, Tracy, Toren Young).

There is something about Stanley that tells me he doesn't regress. The big question is whether we can protect him on clear throwing downs...2nd and long...3rd and long. There are so many opportunities with his arm...he can throw the deep outs (not something we have shown) and seam routes with the velocity of an NFL QB. He started to show some nice touch on deeper balls too. I just think this kid has a break out season if the offensive line performs.

Then, 2018 sets us up for the National Championship run in 2019. :)

Oh, I agree a lot with what you state. I think he's going to really grow a lot. I just try to check myself anymore because been burned so much in the past waiting for the receiving game to come around.

Our running backs may not equal the passing stats Wadley had, but I expect our TE's and WR's to more than pick up the slack this year. One of the young receivers will surprise this fall camp and give Stanley another option. Who knows who that will be, but we have several talented candidates to fight to be that guy.

I sure hope not. A two TE set with Hockenson and Fant would be the most deadly passing threat in a very, very long time. I just wish we'd have another year of Fant.
Hey, this is a fair assessment. I want those ends open on every play, it would just be nice if the receivers helped more.

If Fant and Hockenson are on the field at the same time the receivers are definitely going to be open more.

It’s not necessarily throwing to TEs all the time, it’s the threat of it that will open things up.

Because those 2 are exceptional TE's it could work just like that. I know that Ferentz has it in the playbook because we have seen it before, but it has been a little while since we have had 2 quite this good.

TE ten yard curl in the middle other TE post route. The defense will cry and WR's will be streaking open as the safeties will be to afraid to shade off of the TE post route. I run this in madden a lot and I expect similar results in real life when you got those studs on the field.

Because those 2 are exceptional TE's it could work just like that. I know that Ferentz has it in the playbook because we have seen it before, but it has been a little while since we have had 2 quite this good.

TE ten yard curl in the middle other TE post route. The defense will cry and WR's will be streaking open as the safeties will be to afraid to shade off of the TE post route. I run this in madden a lot and I expect similar results in real life when you got those studs on the field.
Hernandez and Gronkowski won a lot of ballgames doing that for Belichick. Probably still would be if Hernandez didn’t start executing people.

Hernandez and Gronkowski won a lot of ballgames doing that for Belichick. Probably still would be if Hernandez didn’t start executing people.

Well I know you're not the biggest Ferentz family apologist, but maybe even you hope that baby face Ferentz learned a thing or 2 from those times. Maybe he has secretly been preparing for this moment. Pulling the strings from the shadows and setting the stage for a glorious crescendo. After all...sending his father out on a high note to a ruckus round of applause is the best way to be able to take the reigns.

P.S. if this happens I will know who the true maestro was.

Since KF predicates the passing game on the running game, the better the running game is, the better Stanley will be.

Latest posts