Nate Moore question

iowahawkeyes89

Just looking at the future and where he fits in.

McD 125 SO(133 next year?)
Ramos 133 FR(125 next year? 141?)
Mark Ballweg SO 141 (149?)

Is it realistic to think theres a chance he never cracks the lineup?

I was really excited about him out of high school, ranked #1 at his weight. Surprised he hasn't made a bit of noise to this point.

That's the way it is at UI. McDonough has been a pleasant surprise and Ramos has cracked the lineup because of his aggressiveness.

Nate wrestled well last year & then had some issues with an infection he had to fight off.

It is WAY to early to count Nate Moore out. There is still a real chance that he could be the guy this year and I don't think that we'll know until after Midlands for sure. I'm really hoping that Ramos and Moore meet each other there so we find out a little more with head to head for those that aren't able to make it into the room.

Also I thought McDonough was pretty highly regarded out of HS.

I remember watching him wrestle on the "Dream Team" meet.

Got spanked by Oliver from Okie State, if I recall.

Ramos has beaten up on a couple of DIII level opponents, I will hold judgement on him until I see him against some higher level guys.

Ramos has looked good alright....but the level of competition is not exactly top ranked guys yet. I think the kid from MSU had a 0-5 record this year. Wow! so let's see how he looks against some ranked competition. And yes, Midlands will find some better quality oponents.

True just reported that Clark is hoping to be back by Midlands and Ballweg hopes to be at 149 by then also. Dzeiwa had shoulder surgery and likely out for the year.

If Moore fails at Midlands; I predict he goes to UNI next year. I would argue that Moore hasn't wrestled anyone either. I think Ramos is the front runner and look forward to Midlands to see how this gets sorted out.

Actually, I think after wrestle offs, Ramos was the 3rd dog on this dog sled, not the first. No? Due to Clark's injury, Moore's mis-step at the Brands open and who knows why else, Ramos has gotten the time recently. And for the person who thinks Moore transfers to UNI, well that is kind of a quitters attitude, isn't it, on his part. I think he would have more guts than that. Just work harder and improve. Beat Ramos out. Clark graduates and it's Moore and Ramos. OOPs, except for wherever McD decides to go next year. I find it hard to believe McD can stay down at 125 next year, but who knows. Clark is listed as 5'4", Ramos is listed as 5'4", Mark Ballweg 5'5", Moore 5'6" and McD 5'7" I don't see Ramos as anything but 125,133.

Clark is only a Jr so he'll be around for another year. Recall that Clark was #1 based on wrestle offs and Brands made comments to the effect, "I wish Clark would have shown me this level of effort last year." I took that to mean Clark has been impressive in practice and was the front-runner. Bottom line, I think we'll be having this discussion for some time to come.

Kwood - Regarding Moore should he decide to transfer to UNI...I wouldn't call it quitting if he decides to wrestle at another university. This is all hypothetical of course, but here is an AA caliber wrestler who potentially might not wrestle varsity for the remainder of his career. That's a tough position to be in and a tough decision to make.

Thanks for the correction on Clark AFHawk. For some reason the redshirt last year thru me off I guess. Or more likely....senility! So let's see, next year we have Clark, Moore, McD, Ramos, around 125-133 and then Gurule and Dzeiwa also. Dzeiwa listed as 141, but wrestled 135 in High School. Gurule was a 3x Finalist and 2x State Champ in Colo. and likely looks to be career 125. Oh, yeah and Trizzino. 133. So we got some depth I guess. I am wondering if Midlands settles anything at 133, especially if Clark isn't fully recovered by then. I'm starting to think that maybe this years 133 will be like last years 157, with a lot of alternating to see who gets going and makes the Head Man happiest.

133 might be this year's 157, but the wrestlers this year are a lot better. I compare it more to last year's 141 weight class.

Actually, I think after wrestle offs, Ramos was the 3rd dog on this dog sled, not the first. No? Due to Clark's injury, Moore's mis-step at the Brands open and who knows why else, Ramos has gotten the time recently. And for the person who thinks Moore transfers to UNI, well that is kind of a quitters attitude, isn't it, on his part. I think he would have more guts than that. Just work harder and improve. Beat Ramos out. Clark graduates and it's Moore and Ramos. OOPs, except for wherever McD decides to go next year. I find it hard to believe McD can stay down at 125 next year, but who knows. Clark is listed as 5'4", Ramos is listed as 5'4", Mark Ballweg 5'5", Moore 5'6" and McD 5'7" I don't see Ramos as anything but 125,133.

Not sure Ramos was third after wrestle off. Maybe that's how he "placed" due to losing the semi-final, but both Ramos and Moore lost to Clark. Since they didn't wrestle each other it's hard to say who was ahead of who in terms of the line-up.

Ramos lost his wrestle-off with Clark in overtime. In regulation Ramos was the aggressor the entire match, in deep on a lot of shots. In my opinion, Clark's familiarity with Ramos is the only reason he doesn't finish on some of those shots.

IMO, in a head to head situation Ramos has the chips stacked against him whether it's Clark or Moore. Both seem willing to let the action come to them and take the match to overtime. Both are familiar with Ramos' offense.

Not to mention, at times comments have been made about Moore and Clark in regards to their effort or commitment. I've only heard great things about the way Ramos goes about his business.

If Clark or Moore earn the spot, fine. I'm glad Ramos is getting the matches right now.

Personally I'll take Moore, he gives us a better opportunity against the top guys than does Ramos and that's the bottom line! Ramos may be more "flasy" but wait till he see guys like Oliver, Hoch and Graff. Just remember last year Moore lost in ot. to Hoch and easily could have won the match!!! Ramos has looked good against lesser opponents but has looked good. It will be interestling who comes out on top but I honestly feel Moore will be our guy after the Midlands. Don't forget about Clark also.

Ramos isn't 'flashy' he's aggressive! The only position I would have given Moore an advantage over Ramos was underneath, but as we recall now he's been pinned twice this season so I'm not giving him that one either. Moore lost to a good wrestler by a close score, sound familiar. That's his approach, keep it close and win 3-2. When you bring that mat approach you can beat good wrestlers but you can also lose to less opponents.

Ramos isn't 'flashy' he's aggressive! The only position I would have given Moore an advantage over Ramos was underneath, but as we recall now he's been pinned twice this season so I'm not giving him that one either. Moore lost to a good wrestler by a close score, sound familiar. That's his approach, keep it close and win 3-2. When you bring that mat approach you can beat good wrestlers but you can also lose to less opponents.

2009-10 Results:

1. Nate Moore Fall Travis Evans (GSV) :20 1-0

2. Nate Moore Fall Tyler Grask (Iowa State) :50 2-0

3. Nate Moore Fall James Clark (Ellsworth CC) 2:05 3-0

4. Nate Moore Maj Ridge Kiley (Nebraska) 17-7 4-0

5. Cody Garcia (Nebraska-Omaha) Dec Nate Moore 4-2 4-1

6. Nate Moore Fall Tom Kelliher (Wisconsin) :59 5-1

7. Tyler Clark (Iowa) Dec Nate Moore 3-1SV 5-2

8. Nate Moore Fall Aaron Ely (Dana) :57 6-2

9. Nate Moore Dec Mark Ballweg (Iowa) 3-2 7-2

10. Nate Moore Fall Ryan Jauch (Northern Iowa) 2:42 8-2

11. Nate Moore Fall Vince Vallez (Triton) :46 9-2

12. Nate Moore Dec Scott Sentes (Central Michigan) 2-1 10-2

13. Nate Moore Dec Matt Fisk (Lehigh) 3-2 11-2

14. Steve Bell (Maryland) Dec Nate Moore 10-3 11-3

15. Kyle Hutter (Old Dominion) Dec Nate Moore 12-8 11-4

16. Nick Fanthorpe (Iowa State) Dec Nate Moore 2-1TB 11-5

17. Nate Moore Maj CJ Napier (Nebraska) 9-1 12-5

18. Andrew Hochstrasser (Boise State) Dec Nate Moore 8-6SV 12-6

19. Nate Moore Dec Thane Antczak (Minnesota) 6-4 13-6

20. Nick Fanthorpe (Iowa State) Dec Nate Moore 8-3 13-7

Aside from top competition and his own teammates I don't see a lot of these 3-2 matches that people keep laying on Nate. Tony Ramos in the new backup QB. Most popular guy on the team but has yet to have proven anything other than HS accolades and 2 matches at CHA.

No rip on Ramos. I said the same thing on Dennis and Slaton 2 years ago (and was crucified for it) let the best man win. Midlands will tell a lot.

Last edited:

Latest posts