N fant to WR?

clim3

we seem deep at TE and really weak at WR. Given n fant has size and decent speed why don't we kick him outside and create some size mis matches? Any thoughts?

He's 240 plus lbs... Better chance of Beyer doing that since he's closer to 220. There's like 3 or 4 true freshman coming in I think Brandon Smith will play early. His size and athleticism will be tough to keep off the field.

He's 240 plus lbs... Better chance of Beyer doing that since he's closer to 220. There's like 3 or 4 true freshman coming in I think Brandon Smith will play early. His size and athleticism will be tough to keep off the field.

If they don't mothball Brandon until he blocks perfectly 100% of the time.... he could have immediate impact.

I believe Fant is quite a bit faster than Beyer.

Fant has speed and surely could meet the blocking requirement. We are deep at TE. Weather Beyer or Fant we might have to make a move.

we seem deep at TE and really weak at WR. Given n fant has size and decent speed why don't we kick him outside and create some size mis matches? Any thoughts?

You make solid points but I don't think it will happen & wouldn't want it to happen. Iowa has shown for nearly 40 years that they know how to properly use and develop TEs. However for the last 20 years they've struggled doing the same thing with WRs.

Fant is really good. Keep him where he'll be used. And I think they should keep the rest of the young talent at TE as well. Run 2 & 3 TE sets. Play 4/5 TEs every game and use them where they excel. Maybe for the first time since 2002, defenses will actually have to adjust to Iowa

TE's to WR; IMHO, coaches will wait to see how the incoming recruits pan out. Also, need to know what Vandy and Smith's returning form will be.

It appears that we have some talent coming in:
* Brandon Smith
* Henry Marchese
* Max Cooper

Another possibility for TEs is moving to OL, we've done that in the past. Especially the "blockers".

TE's to WR; IMHO, coaches will wait to see how the incoming recruits pan out. Also, need to know what Vandy and Smith's returning form will be.

Another possibility for TEs is moving to OL, we've done that in the past. Especially the "blockers".

I posted the list of TEs in the Drew Cook thread, which also got me to wondering if any of these 6 players in the fresh/soph class could become linemen:

The TE roster in the fall:
Coons (RS)
Hockenson (freshman; 6'5", 243)
Beyer (freshman; 6'5", 222)
Fant (sophomore; 6'5", 232)
Vejvoda (sophomore; 6'5", 245)
Cook (sophomore; 6'5", 235)
Wieting (sophomore; 6'4", 250)
Pekar (senior; 6'4"; 252)
Wisnieski (senior; 6'5", 250)

It would seem like Vejvoda and Wieting would have the best chance, just being the largest of the group. Still, it seems like they would have quite a ways to go, and recent OL recruiting has seemed fairly strong. They could always become FBs as well.

Fant at WR kind of reminds me of a big in basketball who has wing-skills (e.g. Uthoff). Put that player on the wing, and they are an adequate player. Put that player at the 4, and they are a weapon you need to game-plan against. Of course, that only works if the player has the requisite big-man skills (offensive post-game and rebounding) to abuse the other team if they try to go small and guard the player with a wing.

Likewise, Fant at WR would probably be an adequate player. Solid speed, could create some mismatches with his size. However, no team is going to be game-planning against him. Fant with legit WR-skills lining up at TE is going to really worry some D-coordinators. Of course, this only works if he has the requisite TE-skills, notably inline blocking, to force defenses to match up with big-personnel. If not, they will just match with nickel/dime-looks, and nothing will really have been gained.

hey everyone! First post here. I'm an expatriot from the dying 24/7 forum.

Why does he have to officially move to WR? If Brian Ferentz is truly trying to replicate the Patriots, he should be able to line up wide, as a down lineman for power running options, as backfield option, and as a tight end. That allows for more confusion as far as what the defense has to look for. (And probably more confusion for our rookie quarterbacks as well.) I tend to agree we have good freshmen coming, Smith in particular. I just think if Fant and Hock can get through the growing pains this season they will be flat out dangerous for 2 seasons.

45577d1352536360t-i-hope-jellybean-does-not-come-s3-24005427.jpg

It is not as easy for players to learn new positions as one thinks even going from a TE to a WR. It's not all about just catching and blocking. Learning all the plays, timing with the QB's on different routes, etc.. You can't just move a player to a position as temporary help.

If I were the coaching staff, I'd utilize the depth at TE and run more multiple TE sets instead of moving TE's to WR's. That is if are really a mess at WR. I mean if your going to have a solid power running game, throw mult TE options at the D as well. YOu can always run some WR downfield to stretch the field and also make the periodic play. Iowa needs to work on getting Iowa's receivers in better space than in the Greg Davis years. KOK did that pretty well when he was here last. He'd get the TE's in space.

What about what Wisconsin used to do, where they line up in a one tight set, but with two wide receivers lined up to the boundary side and the tight end all by himself on the field side usually with a corner covering him? Do you guys know the formation I am talking about?

Brandon Smith is one freshman who sounds like he's got all the tools to make an immediate impact. Can't wait to see what he's got when he gets on the practice field.

I bet Fant and other TEs will often be lined up in the slot at times too. Hopefully going in motion and that way the D will have to tip their hand at their coverage. If Iowa can get the play calls in earlier they'll be able to have time to run more motion pre snap. They've notoriously had to not only hurry to get snaps off before the play clock but burn TOs because of it. Hopefully BF can get in the rhythm of having the play in fast enough so the team is at the LOS with more then 10 seconds to go and can do more motion...

Latest posts