Patterson (OKLA DNP-7th-Rof12) Redshirted 2012-2013

Graduating AAs:
Sprenkle (NDSU Rof12-Rof12-5th)
Garnett (VT DNP-Rof12-DNP-6th)
McDonough (IA 1st-2nd-1st-Rof12)
Triggas (tOSU DNP-DNP-8th-DNP)
Bonnano (HOF DNP-DNP-8th-DNP)

2013-2014 Outlook
We’re all familiar with the impressive RS season Cory Clark put together: a 20-2 record which included 2 victories over AAs (a 3-2 victory over Patterson of OU and a 6-1 victory over NCAA Champ Jesse Delgado). His 2 losses were close matches against NCAA qualifiers, Garnett of Va Tech and Cullinan of CMU. The future is obviously bright for the Hawkeyes. Also keep an eye on another RS freshman, Thomas Gilman. Clark owns a head-to-head victory, but don’t count out Gilman who had a little better pedigree as an in-coming recruit (both elite recruits, Intermat had Gilman at #10 and Clark at #15 in their 2012 recruiting rankings). So far, Clark seems to be further along in his development, but there’s a lot of time before the 2013-2014 season begins. I think Clark will get the nod and I see him finishing as an AA next year, somewhere in the 4-6 range. For the finals, I think Delgado returns, but this time he faces Garrett of Cornell. Garrett, a guy who didn’t even start wrestling until his freshman year in high school, has shown dramatic improvement in a short time.

Finals Prediction: Delgado (IL) vs. Garrett (CORN)

Returning AAs:
Stieber (tOSU 1st-1st) Projected to move up to 141
Ramos (IA Rof12-3rd-2nd)
Graff (WIS 5th-5th-3rd)
Schopp (EDIN Rof12-4th)
Morrison (OKST DNP-DNP-5th)
C. Dardanes (MINN 4th-6th) Projected to move up to 141
Brewer (OKLA 7th)
Quiroga (PUR 6th-DNP-DNQ)
Mango (STAN DNP-6th-5th) Redshirted 2012-2013

Graduating AAs:
McCormick (MIZZ DNP-DNP-8th)
Sentes (CMU 7th-DNP-4th-Rof12)

2013-2014 Outlook
This weight is going to be loaded next year, even with predictions of both Stieber and C. Dardanes moving up to 141. However, just like this past season, there’s a pretty clear distinction between the elite at this weight and the rest of field. A senior next year, I think Tony will get that elusive championship. For his opponent, I think it’s going to come down to one of these 4 wrestlers: Graff (provided he doesn’t go back up to 141 – he started this past season at that weight), Morrison, Mango (who knocked off Dan Dennis in the Midlands final) or Thorn (who is a more natural 133-pounder and should be more comfortable than he was this past season at 125).

Finals Prediction: Ramos (IA) vs. Morrison (OKST)

Returning AAs:
Maple (OKLA DNP-4th-1st)
Port (EDIN Rof12-2nd)
H. Stieber (tOSU 6th-3rd) Projected to move up to 149
Undrakhbayar (CIT 4th)
Henderson (UNC DNP-6th)
N. Dardanes (MINN Rof12-7th) Projected to move up to 149
Neibert (VT Rof12-8th) Projected to move up to 149 or 157
Carter (VT Rof12-5th) Redshirted 2012-2013

Graduating AAs:
Nevinger (CORN 7th-5th)
Mangrum (ORST Rof12-Rof12-5th-Rof12)
Keith (HARV DNP-DNP-8th-DNP)
Futrell (IL DNP-8th-6th-DNQ)

2013-2014 Outlook
Another new starter for the Hawkeyes, Josh Dwieza will be a RS Junior this upcoming season. 141 returns a lot of solid wrestlers, and if both C. Dardanes and L. Stieber move up, it could potentially be the overall strongest weight next year. Dwieza is going to have a tough time making the podium. For now, I think he’s a Rof12 guy. Nationally, L. Stieber is a cut above the rest and should find himself in the finals for the 3rd time. As far as his opponent, there’s some very strong candidates; so much so that there’s a chance neither of 2013’s finalists (Maple and Port) make it. I also think Devin Carter, coming off a RS year (14-2 with 2 wins over the 2013 5th place finisher Henderson of UNC) has an outside shot at the finals.

Finals Prediction: L. Stieber (OSU) vs. Maple (OU)

Returning AAs:
Ness (MINN 2nd-4th) Projected to move up to 157
Sakaguchi (ORST DNP-7th-5th)
Houdashelt (MIZZ DNP-6th)
Tessari (tOSU 4th-DNQ) Projected to move up to 157
Lester (OU 8th-DNP)

Graduating AAs:

Oliver (OKST 4th-1st-2nd-1st)
Chamberlain (BSU DNP-Rof12-3rd-2nd)
Santos (COLM Rof12-3rd)
Lopouchanski (PUR DNP-DNP-DNP-7th)
Vinson (BING DNP-DNP-3rd-Rof12)
Valenti (UVA DNP-8th -DNP)

2013-2014 Outlook
Kelly should be the guy again for the Hawkeyes. From all accounts he had some injury issues this past year which may have played a factor in his lack of offense during the Big 10 dual season. In his 3rd year as the starter, I think he qualifies, but until he proves otherwise, his lack of offense will keep him off the podium. Nationally this weight really cleared out via graduation. If he were to stay at 149, Ness would definitely be a favorite to make the finals. However, I think Minnesota shifts the Dardanes twins and Ness up a weight so Thorn can go at 133. It will be interesting to see if some of the guys at 141 try to move up to a “weaker†weight. As it stands, a spot in the finals is wide open here.

Finals Prediction: H. Stieber (OSU) vs. N. Dardanes (MN)

Returning AAs:
St. John (IA 4th-2nd-1st)
Dieringer (OKST 3rd)
Pena (ORST DNP-5th)
Green (NEB 7th-7th)
D. Alton (PSU 3rd-Rof12)

Graduating AAs:

Welch (NW DNP-6th-4th-2nd)
Bonin (UNI DNP-DNP-4th)
Moore (UVA 6th)
Fleming (CLAR DNP-DNP-5th-8th)
Peppelman (HARV 8th-8th-DNP)

2013-2014 Outlook
A lot of talent returns at this weight. I’ve earmarked DSJ for a return trip to the finals (even as a freshman he wrestled his best at the Big Show), but I’m expecting some potential hiccups along the way. A lot of that has to do with DSJ’s style (he isn’t one who normally opens up and finds himself in a lot of close matches vs. upper-tier talent) plus the match-up issues he can have against the more explosive guys at this weight (especially when they get the benefit of match delays due to extended reviews in the Big 10 semis…I’m looking at you James Green). As far as his opponent, there’s a number of guys to choose from, including Dylan Alton who had a terrible Big 10s/NCAAs coming off a 3rd place finish as a freshman. I see DSJ’s opposition in the finals coming down to someone from the Green, Dieringer, Alton and Ness (who I’m projecting to move up to 157 from 149). Dieringer had a really impressive freshman campaign (can he jump up another tier?), Green has all the tools but doesn’t have the gas tank (seems to struggle in tournaments with stamina), Alton wrestles WAY too conservatively and could jump a level if he opened up a bit more, and Ness has his unorthodox style (though DSJ’s superior positioning and scrambling ability gives me a confidence in a potential matchup vs. the Gopher).

Finals Prediction: St. John (IA) vs. Alton (PSU)

Returning AAs:
Taylor (PSU 2nd-1st-2nd)
Caldwell (OKST 5th-2nd-3rd)
Moreno (ISU 6th)
Sulzer (UVA DNP-8th)

Graduating AAs:

Dake (CORN 1st-1st-1st-1st)
Yates (UVA DNP-5th-4th)
Polz (IL 8th-5th)
Yohn (MN DNP-DNP-7th)

2013-2014 Outlook
Nick Moore’s first year as a full-time starter had its ups and downs before a somewhat disappointing post-season (4th at Big 10s, a 1-2 record at NCAAs). I think we’re going to see a much improved wrestler next year due to both the experience he gained this past season and mentally knowing he’s the probable starter going into 2013-2014. Remember, going into this past season, Moore was expected to be a backup for DSJ/Evans (though I’m not sure if he certified at 157). Then Evans had trouble making 165 and bumped up to 174 making Moore the starter at 165. I think Moore improves on his NCAA finish and gets on the podium next year. Nationally, I think this is going to be Taylor’s weight to win. I’m predicting that Howe (coming off both an Olympic RS and normal RS) moves up to 174 leaving a pretty clear gap between Taylor and the field – he majored Caldwell 10-0 and pinned Yates this past season.

Finals Prediction: Taylor (PSU) vs. Caldwell (OKST)

Returning AAs:
Perry (OKST Rof12-3rd-1st)
Brown (PSU 2nd)
Kokesh (NEB Rof12-3rd)
Storley (MINN 6th-4th)
Heflin (tOSU Rof12-5th-5th) Projected to move up to 184
Evans (IA DNP-6th)
Walters (OHIO 8th)
Howe (OU 2nd-1st-3rd) Redshirted 2011-2012 and 2012-2013

Graduating AAs:
Blanton (IL DNP-5th-4th-7th)
Asper (MD Rof12-6th-6th-Rof12)

2013-2014 Outlook
Arguably the most competitive wait this past season, 174 is going to be a bear again next year despite the loss of a 3x AA in Blanton. Every other AA is back along with a 2-time finalist in OU’s Andrew Howe. As a result, it’s going to be a battle for Mike Evans to improve his spot on the podium. While Evans has shown marked improvement from the neutral position since his freshman year, he seemed to have taken a step back with his mat wrestling as a sophomore. He consistently had trouble riding the top-level guys, giving up a number of reversals and quick escapes which were the difference in some of his close losses. As it stands, I don’t see Evans making the finals, but I do see him as an AA – somewhere between 3rd and 6th. In the finals, it’s going to be a battle between in-state schools. I think that finals win by Perry is going to do a lot for him confidence-wise and I expect to see a better wrestler next year. And Howe is just a beast, even up a weight class.

Finals Prediction: Howe (OU) vs. Perry (OKST)

Returning AAs:
Ruth (PSU 3rd-1st-1st)
Lofthouse (IA DNP-7th-5th)
Sheptock (MD Rof12-6th)
Loder (UNI Rof12-Rof12-7th)
Steinhaus (MINN 8th-5th-Rof12)
Rutt (DNP-7th)

Graduating AAs:
Hamlin (LEH DNP-2nd-4th-2nd)
Bosak (CORN Rof12-4th-1st-3rd)
Bennett (CMU 6th-8th-6th-4th)
Ihnen (NEB Rof12-Rof12-8th-Rof12)
Larson (MIZZ DNP-DNP-Rof12-8th)
Gambrall (IA 3rd-DNP-DNQ)

2013-2014 Outlook
After a season that was all over the map, Ethen Lofthouse wrestled his best when it mattered most – at Big 10s and NCAAs. The success he had in those 2 post-season tourneys should do wonders for him mentally and another offseason of strength training should give the Hawkeyes a more consistent wrestler at this weight and he should move up a couple of spots on the podium (call it between 3rd and 6th). While this weight class really clears out due to graduation (4 AAs graduate) the most talented NCAA wrestler, Ed Ruth has one more year of eligibility remaining. It’s more than likely that Ruth will run through the field once again on his way to the finals. As far as his opponent, I expect it to be another Oklahoma Sooner (ex-Wisconsin Badger) who’ll be coming off consecutive RS seasons, Travis Rutt.

Finals Prediction: Ruth (PSU) vs. Rutt (OU)

Returning AAs:

Meeks (ORST DNP-4th)
Schiller (MINN 5th)
Gadson (ISU 6th)
Rosholt (OKST DNP-DNQ-8th)

Graduating AAs:

Wright (PSU 6th-1st-2nd-1st)
Kilgore (KENT DNP-7th-1st-2nd)
Wilps (PITT DNP-4th-3rd)
Hernandez (WYO 6th-7th)
Burak (PENN DNP-Rof12-7th-DNP)

2013-2014 Outlook
For a guy who started the season losing to backups and D3 wrestlers, Nathan Burak was arguably one of the most improved wrestlers in the country by the end of the season, making it to the round of 12 at NCAAs and finishing 3rd at Big 10s. I hope to see him with improved mat wrestling and more diverse attacks from neutral next season. If he accomplishes both of those things, he’s got a great shot at making the podium next year as this weight really clears out with graduation (the top 4 seeds were all seniors). Trying to predict finalists here is a real crapshoot. The 4 returning AAs all have a reasonable shot, along with PSU’s Morgan McIntosh, the former Intermat #1 recruit who took a RS last year. I think Cael will work his upper-weight magic once again and turn him into a finalist.

Finals Prediction: McIntosh (PSU) vs. Gadson (ISU)

HWT
Returning AAs:
Nelson (MINN 7th-1st-1st)
McMullan (NW 3rd-2nd)
Telford (IA 5th-DNP)
Johnson (OHIO DNP-7th-Rof12)
Myers (MD 6th-DNP) Redshirted 2012-2013
Gwiazdowski (NCST 8th) Redshirted 2012-2013

Graduating AAs:
Gelogaev (OKST 7th-3rd)
Bradley (MIZZ 3rd-4th)
Thomusseit (PITT Rof12-5th)
Trice (CMU DNP-8th-4th-6th)
Delaney (CIT DNP-DNP-Rof12-7th)
Cooper (ASU 8th-Rof12-DNP)

2013-2014 Outlook
We should be talking about Telford’s chances to be only the 9th ever 4x AA as a career HWT. Instead, Bobby injures his knee in his 1st round match and his season is abruptly ended. The positive: it sounds like a torn meniscus rather than an ACL, so he should be back on the mat at the start of next season. In order for Bobby to get over the hump against Nelson, he has to get stronger – it remains to be seen how much this injury is going to affect his ability to improve his lower body strength. A lot of talent is graduating this year, so a spot in the finals vs. Nelson is going to be available and I think Telford has a shot at claiming it.

Finals Prediction: Nelson (MN) vs. Telford (IA)

Great post! Wondering if Dwieza goes 49 next year and Brody does 41. Seems like Brody's talent are better suited at 41.

Great post! Wondering if Dwieza goes 49 next year and Brody does 41. Seems like Brody's talent are better suited at 41.

Interesting thought, though Dwieza would have to put some serious work in the weight room in order to compete at 149 - though there is much more potential to get on the podium at 149 vs. 141.

Okay, admittedly I don't know much about wrestling, but for the resources the school puts into the program this isn't a very promising prediction. Looks like a 4th straight year with no real shot at a championship?

Okay, admittedly I don't know much about wrestling, but for the resources the school puts into the program this isn't a very promising prediction. Looks like a 4th straight year with no real shot at a championship?

Not a very promising prediction? No real shot? Next year there will be three potential finalists (Ramos, St. John, Telford) and five others who will probably make AA (Clark, Moore, Evans, Lofthouse, Burak). With eight AA, you're definitely talking about having a real shot at a championship, even with PSU and Minn. having their studs. The Hawks will be a threat for the title next year, as they would have been this year if it hadn't been for the injuries to McDonough (?) and Telford.

Nahson Garret has never beaten Cory Clark. i watched Clark dismantle Delgado I strongly disagree with your prediction at 125 if Clark wrestles hes the champ

Nahson Garret has never beaten Cory Clark. i watched Clark dismantle Delgado I strongly disagree with your prediction at 125 if Clark wrestles hes the champ

Has Clark ever beaten Garrett? not arguing, just curious. i was really impressed with Garrett this year. that kid is tough. Obviously Clark's win over Delgado was a great win, but it creates an unrealistic level of expectations for most Iowa fans i think. Clearly clark is going to be in the mix w/ all the best guys at 125, but to think he's just going to blow through the likes of Megaludis, Delgado, Garrett, Waters, etc is being a little over confident in my opinion. if i had to guess i'd say he'll have a great season w/ some big wins, some freshman losses and finish in the 3-6 range as well. Which i think would be a great season as a freshman at that weight.

Latest posts