My Top Ten Hawkeye BBALL Players Ever

jsmhawk

I have been a Hawks fan since I was 8 years old(1986). So guys like Don Nelson, Stokes and Lester are not on my list, because I did not see them play. Here is my list, what does yours look like?

1. B.J. Armstrong
2. Roy Marble
3. Brad Lohaus
4. Ed Horton
5. Acie Earl
6. Andre Woolridge
7. Jeff Horner
8. Greg Brunner
9. Ryan Bowen
10.Jess Settles

1. Ronnie Lester
2. Greg Stokes
3 Andre Woolridge
4. BJ Armstrong
5. Gerry Wright
6. Chris Street
7. Chris Kingsbury
8. Roy Marble
9. EZ Ed Horton
10. Ryan Bowen

Those are my top 10 in terms of who i most enjoyed watching, but hell I could probably write this list 100 times and each time it would come out in a different order with a different name or two on it.

Wow. Some real recency there.

How can you include both Horner and Brunner who didn't win a single NCAA tourney game on the list of best ever? Jeff Horner didn't even make first team All-Big Ten. They were good players but not among the greatest ever.

Leaving out Herb Wilkinson, Murray Wier, Charles Darling, Sam Williams, Don Nelson, John Johnson, Fred Brown, Greg Stokes, Ronnie Lester etc.. It's fine that you didn't see them play but you HAVE to look at history when you make a list of "Top Ten Hawkeye BBALL Players Ever".

No particular order I was born in 87.
Darryl Moore
Jason Price
Jake Jaacks
John Carter
Chris Kingsbury
Jeff Horner
Luke Recker
Dean Oliver
Adam Haluska
Chris Street

my list would pry change every time I make it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Roy Marble - best all around player in Iowa history
2) Chris Kingsbury - step across half-court and shoot
3) Gerry Wright - sir jam-a-lot
4) Steve Carfino - that hair@!
5) Bobby Hansen - greatest hawkeye ever
6) Jeff Moe - love the way he played
7) Greg Stokes - the twin towers
8) Michael Payne - the twin towers
9) Steve Waite - friend of the family
10) Ronnie Lester - brought more to the program than ever could be repaid

I'm older, and thus had the priveledge of seeing many fine players represent the Black & Gold over the years. My list has a few names I haven't seen yet, but that's OK.

With that caveat, here goes my list in no particular order;

1) "Downtown" Freddie Brown

2) Connie Hawkins

3) Kevin Boyle

4) Ronnie Lester

5) John Johnson

6) Chad Calabria

7) Glen "The Stick" Vidnovic

8) Bobby Hansen

9) Ed Horton

10) Tie between B. J. Armstrong and Roy Marble

Honorable Mention: Reggie Evans, Kenyon Murray, Kevin Kunnert and Darryl Moore.

1. Ronnie Lester
2.Roy Marble
3.BJ Armstrong
4.Carl Cain
5.Freddy Brown
6. Johnny Johnson
7. Dean Oliver
8. Andre Woolridge
9.Kevin Gamble
10. Chris Street

Wow. Some real recency there.

How can you include both Horner and Brunner who didn't win a single NCAA tourney game on the list of best ever? Jeff Horner didn't even make first team All-Big Ten. They were good players but not among the greatest ever.

Leaving out Herb Wilkinson, Murray Wier, Charles Darling, Sam Williams, Don Nelson, John Johnson, Fred Brown, Greg Stokes, Ronnie Lester etc.. It's fine that you didn't see them play but you HAVE to look at history when you make a list of "Top Ten Hawkeye BBALL Players Ever".

It's his list. His favorites.

1. Ronnie Lester
2.Roy Marble
3.BJ Armstrong
4.Carl Cain
5.Freddy Brown
6. Johnny Johnson
7. Dean Oliver
8. Andre Woolridge
9.Kevin Gamble
10. Chris Street

Your screen name is SirJamaLot and you don't have Gerry Wright? You may want to think about changing your name.

My top 10 favorite Hawks in no particular order:

Jeff Moe, Steve Carfino, Greg Stokes, Roy Marble, Bobby Hanson, Jeff Horner, Reggie Evans, Brad Lohaus, Matt Bullard, and Russ Millard

I could easily go 20, if they dressed up in a Hawkeye uniform then I love watching them.

This is true but at the same time any list that doesnt include Andre Woolridge should be deleted by a moderator and that poster should be banned from Hawkeyenation.

Ooops, add Andre to my list then.

There are so many players I enjoyed watching over the years that it is tough to only come up with 10 favorite.

my top ten. too tough to rank 1-10 so this is not in "order"- just my fav's.

1. Bill Logan
2. Ronnie Lester
3. BJ Armstrong
4. Greg Stokes
5. Michael Payne
6. Jeff Moe
7. Chris Kingsbury
8. AC Earl
9. Bobby Hansen
10. Steve Waite

This is true but at the same time any list that doesnt include Andre Woolridge should be deleted by a moderator and that poster should be banned from Hawkeyenation.

does this mean my list is going to be deleted?? maybe you should just make a top 10 list for everyone since our opinions dont matter to you

I didn't get to see hardly any of the legends play, so most of this is just going off of what people who did see them tell me:

1. Ronnie Lester
2. Chris Street (family friend, I was just 3 years old when he died, wish I could have gotten to know him)
3. Roy Marble
4. Greg Stokes
5. Andre Woolridge
6. B.J.
7. Acie Earl
8. Ryan Bowen
9. Jess Settles
10. Dean Oliver/Adam Haluska

Born in 1970. I can't come up w/ 10.

Chris Street - loved #40 on that press - cried like a baby when he passed and I never met him. In a league of his own when it comes to my Hawks!

Vince Brookins, Bobby Hansen, Ronnie Lester, Kevin Boyle, Andre Banks, Steve Carfino (my formative Hawk years) Greg Stokes, Michael Payne

Roy Marble, BJ Armstrong, Ed Horton, liked Jeff Moe as he was hated by opposing fans.

For only having one hand, Andre Woolridge was great. Ricky Davis would have put up some sick numbers had he stuck around... Liked Bowen as he is the epitome of over-achieving Iowa kid who gets it.

I haven't been that enamored w/ "new school" guys. Brunner as he was a lunch pail type of player. Haluska was a nice all-around player.

I'm sure I'll come up with others. - Go Hawks!

Born in 1970. I can't come up w/ 10.

Chris Street - loved #40 on that press - cried like a baby when he passed and I never met him. In a league of his own when it comes to my Hawks!

Vince Brookins, Bobby Hansen, Ronnie Lester, Kevin Boyle, Andre Banks, Steve Carfino (my formative Hawk years) Greg Stokes, Michael Payne

Roy Marble, BJ Armstrong, Ed Horton, liked Jeff Moe as he was hated by opposing fans.

For only having one hand, Andre Woolridge was great. Ricky Davis would have put up some sick numbers had he stuck around... Liked Bowen as he is the epitome of over-achieving Iowa kid who gets it.

I haven't been that enamored w/ "new school" guys. Brunner as he was a lunch pail type of player. Haluska was a nice all-around player.

I'm sure I'll come up with others. - Go Hawks!

good call on Vince "Federal Express" Brookins..how did i leave him out?