My thoughts on Coach Lickliter

FYI..I posted this several weeks ago on mom's site...LOL

First off before everyone rips me and tells me I am the anti-fan. I congratulate the guys for a good win today. Fuller is really turning the corner, I wish Matt could wake up and join him. That soph year is tough...
Most on here think I don't support the basketball program. I have more basketball memorabilia in my hawkeye room then football. My earliest recollection of Iowa Athletics are basketball memories. As most of you know I have been a HS coach for 25 years...had a 65% winning percentage, all be it in girls. However, basketball is basketball and I did take 4 different schools to state tournaments. So I somewhat understand the game, I also have 3 close friend who are in D1 basketball.

Now from day 1 I have been very hesitant about Coach Lickliter and his preparedness for Big Ten Basketball. I personally like Coach and his values, I think he is a good guy. However, he won't win any charisma contest. I would like to give you my breakdown of why I would not of looked at Lick as a guy who could have success at a school like Iowa. By that I mean a school with borderline facilities, a somewhat tarnished rep from the last coaching hire and the coaching release before that.

We know who made Butler a household name and that was Barry Collier, who is the same guy as Lick, nice guy, personality and charisma are not his strong suits either. Barry went to Nebraska, the press loved him, he was congenial, was going to bring the Butler system to Nebraska and play lock down defense and shoot the 3. He couldn't ever get talent to Nebraska (and say what you will but their facilities were decent and money was present to help). After about 4 years of recruiting unathletic guys, boring style of ball (to the fans) the worm started to turn. The press was nice, I remember Tom Shatel in the World Herald wring I want him to succeed but he is failing to bring fans in, failing to bring athletes that are capable of winning in the Conference and his style was somewhat limiting...it was time for Barry to go and sure enough back to Butler he went.

In the meantime Matta takes the helm and really recruits a strong group to Butler...goes 24-8 and draws the interest of Xavier. Off he goes and starts to figure out that the Butler system has its strong points but if he was to succeed at the level he needed to he would have to change. He allowed his guys to create and play in space, press, and run a controlled break. He hence had great success at Xavier going 78-23 and never losing a first round NCAA game and going to the elite 8 once. He figured it out...had a great staff, recruited well and let his guys play....no stifling them with sets, and patience on offense. He goes to Ohio State and even opens up more....

Now Lick takes over for Matta and Butler was already a player in the game...thanks to Collier, followed up even better by Matta. Lick in 01-02 and 02-3 inherited a very good nucleus from Matta and Collier and went 26-6 NIT 2nd round, and 27-6 NCAA Sweet 16, then with his kids went 49-42 the next 3 seasons never finishing higher then 2nd in the conference one year had a .500 conference record, one year had a 7-9 season and one year had a 11-5 season with only 1 trip to the NIT. RED FLAG! Then in his last year in 06-07 (and most will tell you in a VERY WEAK HORIZON LEAGUE) went 13-3 in league and tied for first and had a fairly easy trip to the sweet 16. 3 of 6 years he was not conference champion and 2 of 3 years not even in the top half of the Horizon League, with a 500 team and a losing record team.

His recruiting was marginal at best...65-31 conference record (67%) in a suspect conference. His teams were hard to prepare for with only a day or two to prepare. My argument from day 1 has been he is unprepared for this kind of position. Do I think his system could work...YES...however he has committed a cardinal sin in BCS Conference basketball, he has surrounded himself with a totally inadequate staff. You look at all the highly successful coaches wherever they have been have surrounded themselves with top flight assistants, a mix of x and o guys and at least 2 young recruiting guys. Until Lick understands the staff part he is doomed to failure at Iowa (in my opinion). Do I want him to fail HELL NO...I want whoever is at the helm to have success. I want #5 or higher in the conference with NCAA berths 7 out of 10 seasons...sound familiar? I believe it may take Barta saying change the staff up to get him to win at Iowa. Collier did not figure it out and was out...Matta figured it out and went right up the ladder and continues to do so. These are my thoughts and concerns about our staff, in particular our head coach. I may be totally wet behind the years but I think bringing in two young guys, whether they are recent players at a BIG TIME program, AAU coaches, or former players that have great connections to a hotbed of recruiting. He has to make some changes to succeed at Iowa.

And that is about all I have to say about that...
crazy.gif

I like the hawkeyes.

I really am sick to death of hearing about what Lickliter did at Butler. It's been 3 years, and I'm wondering what he's going to do for IOWA. So far, he's done squat. Butler means zip to me at this point. Lickliter isn't coaching Butler anymore.

I'm still a Lick skeptic but if you give Matta credit for Lick's success. Who gets the credit for Butler since then? Didn't they win 30 games or something and make the tourney again after Lick left? Shouldn't Lick get some of the credit for the players he left behind?
This is exactly right. LoessHills has several contradictions in his post. First, he lists all that Matta did for Butler and how Licks' successes were because of Mattas' players. Then gives Lick no credit for the 30-4 and 26-6 teams Lick left behind to come to Iowa. Second, he says Lick can't turn a program around right after he lists in detail the 49-42 record he had at Butler before taking them back to yet another Sweet16 in '06-'07. Only to discredit the league that year as VERY WEAK and an EASY trip to the Sweet16. I didn't know there was such a thing. Lastly, states, "Do I want Coach Lick to fail - HELL NO." This, after stating TWICE in his post that "from DAY 1", he was unhappy with the hire. A hire that, AT THAT POINT AND TIME, was the National Coach of the Year voted on, not by sportswriters, but by his peers, the other Coaches in the country. Believe this, the only one kicking himself right now is Coach Lick. If he would have stayed at Butler one more year or two instead of taking the payday, he would probably be coaching perhaps, Indiana, right now. Where the history of the school recruits for you. I agree Coach Lick needs to find someone to help Walthall with recruiting. It won't hurt to get moving on that practice facility either as we have seen the other BigTen facilities on the Journey on BTN. There's still a glimmer of hope if they can just get through the next 10 games being competitive and no more quitters from KEY players this year. He also needs to quit with the Debbie Downer post games and interviews. Potential recruits are watching. Get excited about your program. Your players and fans will feed off positive energy. See Coach Ferentz, never too up, never too down. Always with the positive encouragement whether a fumble, interception, missed field goal, or a Touchdown. At this point, and for his health's sake, I think he needs to change his mindset going forward. Get excited about teaching these players. Get excited about turning this thing around. Teach, don't yell. Give some encouragement to the guys that are going to battle for you. Encourage Cully, May, Cougill, Fuller, and Gatens. These guys are your core, your foundation to build on. If anyone of them leave, look out.

All that proved was that Lickliter could do it AT Butler in the Horizon League. It says nothing about Lickliter being able to do it in the Big 10 with the same talent...so far he has been an utter failure at the Big 10 level, a complete and total failure.

Latest posts