My thoughts from Shirts/Skins

Thanks for the report! May always seems to look good this time of year, I think if he can put it together for a full season we can be very good. He has a lot of things we lack IMO

1st off i am not your pal, 2nd i am saying the possibility is there for him to do so on the pts and rbds, its very possible for him to do it just as easily as not, but in your thinking there is no way he can is way off, the PTL is not the place to judge him as it his a shooters game and very loose in stucture, we shall see how he does in a controlled envirement

Sorry buddy, its completely unrealistic (putting it nicely) to think he's going to average a double double. To my knowledge the only person in the HISTORY of Iowa bball to do that was Reggie Evans. To think O is going to do this as a true freshman is ******* insane.

will you feel this way with Woodbury[/QUOTE
You name the sig bet and Ill do it. LOVE the positive attitude but there is no way on Gods green earth O averages 10 n 10. I would bet he has under 3 double doubles the whole year. I will gladly eat my words. But thanks for the report

will you feel this way with Woodbury

1. Woodbury is not on campus
2. He won't average a double-double in his first season, either.

It just doesn't happen very often. Maybe Olaseni will do it, but to actually call it in the preseason is asinine. It's such a longshot that it's not fair to put expectations like that on him.

1. Woodbury is not on campus
2. He won't average a double-double in his first season, either.

It just doesn't happen very often. Maybe Olaseni will do it, but to actually call it in the preseason is asinine. It's such a longshot that it's not fair to put expectations like that on him.

you didn't answer the question when woodbury committs anfd gets here will you feel this way about him

Hey Dragon, he did answer your ignorant question with the answer in 2.

There were two people to average double digit rebounds last year Mbakwe and Sullinger. Gabe doesn't have the body of Sullinger, but I will wait and judge to see if the has Mbakwe's determination...even if he does, it will still be a stretch to expect a freshman to grab 10+ reb. per game.
Seriously, every Iowa fan hopes you are right, but be realistic...if you said 8 ppg and 6 rpg, nobody would be so harsh. It just doesn't happen very often.

Well we have our Iowa will go to the tourney and Olesani will be a 10/10 player posts. Thread complete. Good lord.

I just don't see him getting enough minutes as a freshman to get 10-10 unless he comes in and blows away the coaches or injuries hit Brommer and Archie. I think anything more than 4-4 or 5-5 will be a surprise this year.

I just don't see him getting enough minutes as a freshman to get 10-10 unless he comes in and blows away the coaches or injuries hit Brommer and Archie. I think anything more than 4-4 or 5-5 will be a surprise this year.
How much improvement would it really take for a 6'9" guy to beat out AB and DA?

Thanks for the eyewitness report on the S & S games.
Good to hear that the frosh are working into the group well.
I hope Josh can get some minutes because this team still needs shooters. Our shooting from the arc was the worst in the league last year and that has to improve.
I am just hoping that Gabe can be part of a 3 headed monster in the middle with the two seniors. Honestly, that would be a solid contribution. We should avoid putting expectations in numbers,tho. Averaging 10 rebounds would lead the Big Ten.

Olaseni is 6'10 with a wing span of 7'2, so unless Brommer and Archie have a 180 turn around in their ability, there is a real possibility of him starting by the BT season, he runs like a deer, is a good FT shooter, has a nice hook shot has range to 12', and at 225 lbs is not that skinny when looking at other centers, also i said he had the potential to average 8 to 10 ppg and 8 to 10 rpg, it was the OP that said he "COULD" be a 10-10 guy "NOT" would, but i guess you can twist words to trip your trigger

Last edited:
Olaseni will not average a double-double as a true freshman. I'd put money on that. But that doesn't mean he can't be a good rebounder and contribute something around the basket this season. We'll see how he looks in actual games against real competition..

If Olaseni can average 7-8 rebounds and double figure scoring at any point in his career, I'll be plenty happy with that. Anything more is gravy.

Jess settles (at 6'6") averaged 15 Pts and had 203 total rbs as a freshman. that was about 7.4 rbpg if I did that correctly. Chris Street had 52 blocks and Acie Earl 50 as a frosh. I'm doing that from my phone so lots of back and forth. 8 and 8 would be a great season for Gave. Since there is playing time to be had and no truly imposing upper classmen at the position anything is possible. I don't want to put expectations on Gabe but refuse to sell him short either.

Fran has stated on a few occasions that he doesn't recruit projects, Gabe is not a finished product but i highly doubt he is a project and i doubt he will take 2-3 years to be a contributer; it is easy to find a 1000 flaws when you look but it is hard to find a single positive when you don't

Jess settles (at 6'6") averaged 15 Pts and had 203 total rbs as a freshman. that was about 7.4 rbpg if I did that correctly. Chris Street had 52 blocks and Acie Earl 50 as a frosh. I'm doing that from my phone so lots of back and forth. 8 and 8 would be a great season for Gave. Since there is playing time to be had and no truly imposing upper classmen at the position anything is possible. I don't want to put expectations on Gabe but refuse to sell him short either.

Rebounding is about effort and positioning, not always about size, so I am hoping that is what the Settles reference was for. If a kid wants to rebound, then that kid can, it is a mind set. I am hoping that Gabe comes in with the same mind set that Basabe did and ends up being the starter from day one. The first part of the season will be interesting to see how he adapts if he ends up in the starting lineup. There will be moments he looks lost, but he cannot panic. Gabe needs to give Iowa stability at the Center position, that is what Cole did, he wasn't an outstanding player, but he provided effort, hustle and toughness, something one could count on game in and game out. Brommer/Archie haven't proven they can provide anything sustained, so when it comes to that scenario, I would far prefer the more athletic player that can run the floor and wear out the opponents Center in transition. Brommer is the better of the two, but if you are still struggling with the same things as a Senior you were as a Freshman, as a coach I am going to give the nod to the freshman if the results are comparable when looking at each side by side in practice.
Gabe will be something of a project, but again that is not a bad thing. The reason I would prefer Gabe to start is if Iowa can secure Woodbury and Adam beats him out, then Iowa will be very tough at the Center position for a long, long time. Especially when you consider that Meyer is listed as a C in the rankings, but also has the ability to play the 4 spot as he has on his AAU team.

word is that Broomer s still out of shape because of injury, Gabe may start because of this, Brommer's mobility may be slowed due to the surgery

I don't think anyone here said that Gabe wasn't going to be a contributor this year, but most of us are reasonable enough to realize that him averaging a double double as a freshman is more than unlikely.

10 pt / 10 reb from Olaseni will be nearly impossible.
How many bigs have done that in the Big Ten the last 5 years?

Sullinger was RIDICULOUS last season and he barely average 10 boards.
In fact, only two players in the Big Ten averaged 10 boards (Mbakwe and Sully).

I'm excited for Gabe, but that's a bit overzealous.