My take on Penn State's reaction

At what time did someone within Penn State know that Sandusky was a child molester? It doesn't seem to be a disputed fact that somebody at Penn State knew this was happening as far back as 1998.

It's very much a disputed fact, as Sandusky was investigated for the 1998 "hugging" incident by the police, and cleared. Also, bob is correct that there is no substantiation in the Freeh report that Paterno lied to the GJ about 1998.

But I'm quibbling, because any doubt about Sandusky was removed in 2001. And that's bad enough.

Sounds like PSU trustees are set to ratify the NCAA sanctions and move forward, as they should.

Penn State trustees to ratify NCAA consent decree by phone | Latest news | CentreDaily.com

The coach is onboard too.

Penn State coach: We have to accept punishment, move forward - News - Citizens Voice

Perhaps sanity and decency are finally winning the day. We can only hope that their @$$hole fans follow suit.

Good to see. Thanks for posting that, Thunder.

As with any large group of people, there will always be a certain percentage that will just not be happy, no matter what. It is good to see that the "adults" at PSU seem to be taking control of the situation. Most will eventually see their wisdom, although some never will.

Yep, and for the PSU fans who still don't "get it".. If they don't get it by now, then they never will. I feel sorry for people like that.

They are not going to "get it"! See what they are selling college bookstore. NCAA shirts with the C being Soviet hammer and sickle
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/08/09/controversial-t-shirt-sold-at-bookstore-on-penn-states-campus/

My response to them would be, if you have such a problem with the NCAA, you are free to leave it at any time.

Frankly, it's over. I just saw a blurb in Orlando Sentinel that said Bill O'Brien "discourages" any broad reactions to NCAA sanctions by PSU. That settles it for me. He is owning it, and for that I give him credit.

It'll really be over when the BOT votes Sunday to confirm Erickson's acceptance of the sanctions.

Last edited:
My response to them would be, if you have such a problem with the NCAA, you are free to leave it at any time.
Frankly, it's over. I just saw a blurb in Orlando Sentinel that said Bill O'Brien "discourages" any broad reactions to NCAA sanctions by PSU. That settles it for me. He is owning it, and for that I give him credit.

just for the fun of pot stirring...could this be because he wants sanctions? could he possibly lose his extension if the sanctions are overturned. sounds like a good business plan by obrien if it was the case (i doubt it thoug).

Board of Trustees meeting is live now at WPSU / Channel One

They will not vote to ratify consent decree (or on anything else) tonight due to legal concern over lack of public notice. But they are going to discuss Freeh report and consent decree.

"We will first hear from Gene Marsh, the nationally
recognized expert in the field of NCAA enforcement, having
spent nine years on the NCAA committee on infractions,
including two as chair. Reviewing the discussions with NCAA that led up to the
decree.
After that president Erickson will discuss the rationale
for acceptance of the decree and why he believes it was
only real option available.
Steve Dunham will discuss president's Erickson to accept
the Consent Decree.
Ken Frazier will discuss the University's plan to
accept the decree.
Then we will hear about the public relations.
After that we will open the floor to trustees as
questions and comments."

Last edited:
PSU counsel says Erickson had right to sign decree and it does not matter legally if board votes on it later or not.
Most BOT complaining about sanctions being too tough but say to move on.
A couple including "Laimbraino" keep complaining and say the board never accepted the Freeh Report.
Erickson says couldn't risk death penalty or good chance Big 10 would not have kept them.
Some are trying to play the - NCAA hurting student athlete angle by reducing scholarships.
They appear unanimous that NCAA overreacted with penalties with most mentioning how clean Penn St was before. That image may change as more dirt comes out.
They also mentioned the Fed investigating Clery violations are coming back to town tomorrow.

This will not make people happy, but don't be surprised if Schulz and Curley have their perjury charges dropped, or are exonerated of same at trial.

The case for, against Penn State officials Gary Schultz, Tim Curley - ESPN

The lynchpin of the case has always been what precisely Mike McQueary told them.

In addition to the legal precedents from higher courts, Schultz and Curley will rely heavily on McQueary's admission at the preliminary hearing that he never "from day one" used words like "anal intercourse" or "sodomy" or "rape" in his meeting with the two officials.

McQueary agrees with the defense that he used the word "inappropriate" and the phrase "over the line" in his description of what he saw in the shower, language that was not dramatic enough to cause Schultz and Curley to conclude that McQueary had been an eyewitness to a horrible crime.

A refresher on MM's testimony is here: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf-...estimony-sexual-molestation-2001-showers.html

This will not make people happy, but don't be surprised if Schulz and Curley have their perjury charges dropped, or are exonerated of same at trial.

The case for, against Penn State officials Gary Schultz, Tim Curley - ESPN

The lynchpin of the case has always been what precisely Mike McQueary told them.

A refresher on MM's testimony is here: Mike McQueary's testimony attacks Jerry Sandusky while repairing his own reputation - Yahoo! Sports

Give me a break. MM has testified multiple times that when he spoke with them that he used the term "sexual", even when he spoke with JoePed. They're not getting off that easy.

Latest posts