My take on Penn State's reaction

UP6936

The greater Penn State nation, at least the most vocal and visible factions of it, certainly seems to not be reacting to the penalties and to the whole sordid situation as well as the NCAA and the rest of the country had hoped they could and might.

There is a lot of disconcerting and disappointing bluster, bravado, heel digging and "us against the world" mentality coming out of State College that leads many to believe that they just don't "get it" yet and that the football first and foremost culture is not changing.

I am still willing to give the current penalties time to take their full effects, which, realistically, will take at least 2-3 years to happen. PSU certainly has a few more shoes left to drop, as well, with more criminal trials, civil suits and in-depth investigations yet to play out.

The greater Penn State nation is going through the Kubler-Ross model, or the Five Stages of Grief: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance. Right now, at this early juncture, there is still mostly denial and anger. Once their team starts to really start sucking, in 2-3 years, there will be a lot more bargaining and depression. Hopefully, by the time the offical NCAA penalties have run out, there will be a great deal of acceptance and then some real change.

That said, I am still beginning to come around to what seems to be the gaining opinion, that PSU football needed to be handed down the "death penalty" (I think for at least two seasons, if done at all) for the point of all of this to really sink in and for a reassessment of the culture to really happen.

The problem with all of these punishments and sanctions and penalties and all of the condemnation and finger wagging is that, at the end of the day, after PSU rides through this storm (say 8-10-12 years from now), even if they had gotten the "death penalty," Penn State will still have one of the largest alumni bases in the country. They will still have a 106,000 seat stadium to play in. They will still have world class athletic facilities to train in. They will still have the national championships to tout. They will still have the consensus All-Americans and famous alumni in the NFL in their resume and they will still be "Linebacker U." They are still, and it seems they will continue to be, in one of the best, and most lucrative, football conferences around and they will eventually be eligible again to play in major bowl games and win B1G and national championships.

There is no doubt about it that the next 5-10 years will be a long, punishing slog for the greater Penn State nation, but whatever happens, their past success has (at least in my mind) guaranteed that they can only fall so far and will undoubtedly make some kind of rebound, possibly even a full recovery. It may very well take 20 years for PSU to regain their previous stature, but I think they have the infrastructure in place to do it.

If you really want to change the "Football is King" mentality at PSU, tear down Beaver Stadium and replace it with something more "Northwesternish." Of course, no outside entity could legally do that, so don't count Penn State as down for too long.

Last edited:
They should just tear down all the major college football stadiums...especially the SEC. All college sports and fans are evil now,because of those 5 guys at PSU.
All sports should be eliminated...otherwise the culture will die.

They should just tear down all the major college football stadiums...especially the SEC. All college sports and fans are evil now,because of those 5 guys at PSU.
All sports should be eliminated...otherwise the culture will die.

Why is it that people on here feel the need to transform ones opinion into something way off base? He has an opinion take it for what's it worth no need to bash it...it's not like he personally calls someone out in his post, that so many are willing to do on this board.

I would agree with OP about the five stages of grief.

Give them some room, and some time.

The vast majority there get's it, or will get it. The rest never will.

duck-pigeon-pigeons-did-not-read-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1166.gif

I would agree with OP about the five stages of grief.

Give them some room, and some time.

The vast majority there get's it, or will get it. The rest never will.

I agree, Golfer. It's still August. Unfortunately, enough of their team remained intact that they may not feel the sting immediately, but even if they finish 8-4 this year, they'll have a nice silent holiday season to think about things. Then, when their first squad with 65 scholarship players goes 3-9, they may have a little less 'spirit.'

A very sad individual raped probably over 30 little boys, and about 10+ people didn't do all they could do to stop it from happening and/or covered it up. Why does the NCAA need to make millions of people suffer? Make Sandusky and the 10 or so people involved suffer from this...

Does it take millions of people to suffer to make up for Sandusky's actions? No. That doesn't solve the problem. What would solve the problem is hold legal preceedings for the people who didn't do all they could do to stop Sandusky and throw their assis in prison... but that doesn't net the NCAA $60M now does it...

There's no reason that should effect the millions of Penn State fans and thousands of collegiate athletes at Penn State for probably the next decade. The NCAA overstepped its boundaries with this penalty. Especially since the ONLY person who's been charged with anything so far is Sandusky.

Penn State Football should lose scholarships and post season play for 4 years. I don't understand where the NCAA gets offs thinking they can fine Penn State $60M on top.

Especially considering, and I'll state again, the only person who has been proven guilty in our court system is Sandusky.

Prove some others guilty in the U.S. court system and then maybe you can fine Penn State for $60M. Until then, I don't see how it is legal.

Last edited:
A very sad individual raped probably over 30 little boys, and about 10+ people didn't do all they could do to stop it from happening and/or covered it up. Why does the NCAA need to make millions of people suffer? Make Sandusky and the 10 or so people involved suffer from this...

Does it take millions of people to suffer to make up for Sandusky's actions? No. That doesn't solve the problem. What would solve the problem is hold legal preceedings for the people who didn't do all they could do to stop Sandusky and throw their assis in prison... but that doesn't net the NCAA $60M now does it...

There's no reason that should effect the millions of Penn State fans and thousands of collegiate athletes at Penn State for probably the next decade. The NCAA overstepped its boundaries with this penalty. Especially since the ONLY person who's been charged with anything so far is Sandusky.

Penn State Football should lose scholarships and post season play for 4 years. I don't understand where the NCAA gets offs thinking they can fine Penn State $60M on top.

Especially considering, and I'll state again, the only person who has been proven guilty in our court system is Sandusky.

Prove some others guilty in the U.S. court system and then maybe you can fine Penn State for $60M. Until then, I don't see how it is legal.
The NCAA didn't net any $$. The 60 mil is paid in to a special endowment to fun programs related to child abuse.

The reason Sandusky is the "ONLY" person guilty is because he's the ONLY one who has been to court .

The NCAA didn't net any $$. The 60 mil is paid in to a special endowment to fun programs related to child abuse.

The reason Sandusky is the "ONLY" person guilty is because he's the ONLY one who has been to court .

No kidding. Just wait til Penn St. starts settling all the civil lawsuits.

Yeah. We all know the NCAA is extremely altruistic, never plays favorites and is above reproach.

A very sad individual raped probably over 30 little boys, and about 10 people didn't do all they could do to stop it from happening and/or covered it up. Why does the NCAA need to make millions of people suffer? Make Sandusky and the 10 or so people involved suffer from this...Does it take millions of people to suffer to make up for Sandusky's actions? No. That doesn't solve the problem. What would solve the problem is hold legal preceedings for the people who didn't do all they could do to stop Sandusky and throw their assis in prison... but that doesn't net the NCAA $60M now does it...There's no reason that should effect the millions of Penn State fans and thousands of collegiate athletes at Penn State for probably the next decade. The NCAA overstepped its boundaries with this penalty. Especially since the ONLY person who's been charged with anything so far is Sandusky.Penn State Football should lose scholarships and post season play for 4 years. I don't understand where the NCAA gets offs thinking they can fine Penn State $60M on top.Especially considering, and I'll state again, the only person who has been proven guilty in our court system is Sandusky.Prove some others guilty in the U.S. court system and then maybe you can fine Penn State for $60M. Until then, I don't see how it is legal.

You don't get to use your NCAA football program to lure at risk boys to be raped. I don't understand why people some have such a hard time with the NCAA taking a stand against PSU

Wow you really have no clue what you are talking about if you believe any of the garbage you just posted!

I have a piece of advice for you - If you don't know what you are talking about then don't talk.

A wise man once said that it is better to not speak and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I'm sorry to say that you've essentially removed all doubt with the above post.

First, people suffer all the time from the actions of leadership. It comes with the territory. Ask the millions of workers whose leadership made horrible financial decisions and they lost their jobs. As fiduciaries, the leadership of organizations represent the organization itself. So when the leadership gets in trouble, the institution, by extension, also gets into trouble. That's the way it is.

As far as others not even getting charged, you may want to do some reading sometime. Both Curley and Schultz have both been charged with perjury and it is expected that Spanier will also be charged as well. JoePa, had he not died, most likely would have been charged with perjury as well.

At what time did someone within Penn State know that Sandusky was a child molester? It doesn't seem to be a disputed fact that somebody at Penn State knew this was happening as far back as 1998.

When was Jerry Sandusky actually arrested and his serial child rape finally stopped? 2011.

'Nuff said, as far as I am concerned.

It took fourteen frickin' years for someone in State College to gather enough gonads to risk negative exposure for the exalted football program and Saint Paterno and stop a child rapist.

What else does the NCAA need to know? How much due process is needed? Hardly anyone even disputes that Penn State harbored, protected, aided and abetted a serial child rapist for 14 years, simply to save face for Paterno and the football program.

PSU knew in 1998. He wasn't stopped until 2011. Case closed. That's all you need to know.

And it was the "football first and foremost" culture at Penn State that made it possible.

Do you think that Kirk Ferentz or Gary Barta could keep Sally Mason from reporting a felony committed on their campus? Even if they would have the inclination to try such a thing, which I highly doubt, even they do not have that much clout in Iowa City to do that.

In State College, PA, Joe Paterno had that much clout. That clout was derived from the beatification given him by the PSU faithful. The "football first" culture is what made it possible.

That HAS to change, not only at Penn State, but wherever it exists.

The purpose of the harsh sanctions given to Penn State is to not only punish the guilty, but to give the entire Penn State nation a time out away from being a competitive football team so they can sort out and reassess their priorities. Just as much the harsh penalties were a shot across the bow of every athletic program in the country, a warning: this could happen to you too! Get YOUR priorities right before something tragic happens at your school!

At what time did someone within Penn State know that Sandusky was a child molester? It doesn't seem to be a disputed fact that somebody at Penn State knew this was happening as far back as 1998.

When was Jerry Sandusky actually arrested and his serial child rape finally stopped? 2011.

'Nuff said, as far as I am concerned.

It took fourteen frickin' years for someone in State College to gather enough gonads to risk negative exposure for the exalted football program and Saint Paterno and stop a child rapist.

What else does the NCAA need to know? How much due process is needed? Hardly anyone even disputes that Penn State harbored, protected, aided and abetted a serial child rapist for 14 years, simply to save face for Paterno and the football program.

PSU knew in 1998. He wasn't stopped until 2011. Case closed. That's all you need to know.

And it was the "football first and foremost" culture at Penn State that made it possible.

Do you think that Kirk Ferentz or Gary Barta could keep Sally Mason from reporting a felony committed on their campus? Even if they would have the inclination to try such a thing, which I highly doubt, even they do not have that much clout in Iowa City to do that.

In State College, PA, Joe Paterno had that much clout. That clout was derived from the beatification given him by the PSU faithful. The "football first" culture is what made it possible.

That HAS to change, not only at Penn State, but wherever it exists.

The purpose of the harsh sanctions given to Penn State is to not only punish the guilty, but to give the entire Penn State nation a time out away from being a competitive football team so they can sort out and reassess their priorities. Just as much the harsh penalties were a shot across the bow of every athletic program in the country, a warning: this could happen to you too! Get YOUR priorities right before something tragic happens at your school!

And this is obvious following the Coker situation last winter. KF's comments make it clear that it wasn't his decision.

Serious question - how long do the stages of grief usually last? The PSU boards are full of denial, and hate for everything not PSU. It seems to me that they are actually getting worse. But that may be because the moderators have banned almost everyone who disagrees with the cult of Paterno.

Serious question - how long do the stages of grief usually last? The PSU boards are full of denial, and hate for everything not PSU. It seems to me that they are actually getting worse. But that may be because the moderators have banned almost everyone who disagrees with the cult of Paterno.

I don't know the official medical answer, but anyone who knows someone who has gone through a divorce should have an indication about how long that takes.

A wise man once said that it is better to not speak and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I'm sorry to say that you've essentially removed all doubt with the above post.

First, people suffer all the time from the actions of leadership. It comes with the territory. Ask the millions of workers whose leadership made horrible financial decisions and they lost their jobs. As fiduciaries, the leadership of organizations represent the organization itself. So when the leadership gets in trouble, the institution, by extension, also gets into trouble. That's the way it is.

As far as others not even getting charged, you may want to do some reading sometime. Both Curley and Schultz have both been charged with perjury and it is expected that Spanier will also be charged as well. JoePa, had he not died, most likely would have been charged with perjury as well.

<<JoePa, had he not died, most likely would have been charged with perjury as well>>

There has been absolutely NO substantiation of this. ZERO.

That said, the NCAA or B1G HAD to do SOMEthing. The issue is what limits, what process, etc.