My take on Ferentz

no, its not true. Fry lost by more than 20 points 31 times during his stint at Iowa. Most of those occurred in real bad years, and still its less than twice a year. I guess if you consider once or twice a year over 20 years "regular", then you are correct.

By the same token, Ferentz had bungled 4-5 end-of-game scenarios in 12 years and everyone acts like he's a terrible in-game manager. If we're going to savage Ferentz for every mistake he's ever made, than let's do the same for his predecessor and for every other coach in the country.

Just because it didn't happen this year doesn't mean it's never going to happen. If someone gave me even odds on Iowa reaching a national championship game during Ferentz's tenure, I'd bet a couple hundred bucks and feel darn good about it.

Sorry...wrong. Just the opposite is true. If it didn't happen this year (and it won't), it's going to be a long time before it does.

Check the historical facts...we have talent to hover around the "elite" level about once every 8-10 years.

This was supposedly one of those year.

Why does a one point loss to a top 10 program suddenly make us audit Ferentz' worth?

You people are so myopic the prospect of sharing the same roads with you frightens me...

It has been interesting reading these posts. I, also, was extremely disappointed yesterday. Disappointed enough that I could not bring myself to watch anymore football the rest of the day.

But, I have to guess that a lot of you posting today were also probably thrilled when Tom Davis was let go. That decision was such a great one that I honestly don't think we'll ever be relevant in basketball again.

Bottom line: Kirk Ferentz is worth EVERY single penny he makes. I don't think there is a coach in the United States that could do better a better job at the University of Iowa than what Kirk has done (at least doing it the right way). Does he do things that drive me a nuts? Yes, just like Mr. Davis's full court press used to drive me crazy during Big Ten play (but, it worked pretty well in the first round of the NCAA tournament, didn't it?). We are in the golden age of Hawkeye football thanks to Kirk.

Quit whining and enjoy it.

We should not expect 10-11 win seasons every year. If we have an 8 win season it doesn't mean it is time to fire Kirk. That kind of talk is just crazy. Kirk has lifted this football team to a place where fans are now expecting 10-11 win seasons. You don't fire the coach that got you there. The Big Ten is a tough conference. I thought going into this year we could be anywhere from a 8-4 to 11-1 team. My opinion of the team has not changed with this loss to WI. I still think we could win out to go 10-2 or we could be 8-4. Let's throw our support behind our team instead of being Sunday morning quarterbacks.

Newsflash for you: Iowa isn't a program that will win 10 or 11 games every year so the sooner you realize that the better you will be. In the last 10 years Iowa is an average of 8-4 (82-37) and that includes 4 seasons of 10+ wins.

You people act like 10 or 11 win seasons should happen every year and IT WON'T.
people like you should be ISU fans

It has been interesting reading these posts. I, also, was extremely disappointed yesterday. Disappointed enough that I could not bring myself to watch anymore football the rest of the day.

But, I have to guess that a lot of you posting today were also probably thrilled when Tom Davis was let go. That decision was such a great one that I honestly don't think we'll ever be relevant in basketball again.

Bottom line: Kirk Ferentz is worth EVERY single penny he makes. I don't think there is a coach in the United States that could do better a better job at the University of Iowa than what Kirk has done (at least doing it the right way). Does he do things that drive me a nuts? Yes, just like Mr. Davis's full court press used to drive me crazy during Big Ten play (but, it worked pretty well in the first round of the NCAA tournament, didn't it?). We are in the golden age of Hawkeye football thanks to Kirk.

Excellent post. Very well said.

I, also, was extremely disappointed yesterday. Disappointed enough that I could not bring myself to watch anymore football the rest of the day.
me too
But, I have to guess that a lot of you posting today were also probably thrilled when Tom Davis was let go.
loved Mr. Davis ... horrible decision to let his contract expire
Bottom line: Kirk Ferentz is worth EVERY single penny he makes.
it is a free market, so in that sense, yes ... in the grander scope is a football coach every worth that much? ... but probably not the argument you are making here
I don't think there is a coach in the United States that could do better a better job at the University of Iowa than what Kirk has done (at least doing it the right way).
I agree, probably not, as you say, doing it the right way
Does he do things that drive me a nuts?
preach, brother, preach!
We are in the golden age of Hawkeye football thanks to Kirk.
amen!
WTF was enjoyable about this weekend? not a god-damned thing!

people like you should be ISU fans

You right instead of thinking Iowa can win 8 or 9 games every year I should be one of those dumbasses and expect 10 or 11 and if it doesn't happen then start calling for KF's head right?

This post is as moronic as the one's where people think Iowa can win 11 games every year when that has only happened 3 times in school history.

"We don't ever get blown out anymore like we regularly did with Hayden."

wow.

I will accept some heat on this statement. It didn't come out like I meant. When I typed it I was especially thinking against good Michigan and Ohio State teams and forgot that as part of my quote.

Didn't mean to imply Hayden was not a good coach, just meant to say that with Hayden's style we would handily beat the bad to medium teams and have some games against the Big Dogs that were not very competitive.

With Kirk, we very, very rarely get blown out by the Big Dogs, mostly due to his style of play. The downside of this style, is that it is less effective against the bad to medium teams.

Wish I would have just expounded on it more originally.

Also, to those who think I'm whining, I am happy with Ferentz and don't want him gone. The Mr. Davis lesson should be available for all to see. But the man has some opportunities to improve on some things that are within his grasp and it's frustrating that we continue to make the same mistakes.

Here's whats funny. We are in the middle of the best 3 year run we've had since Evy and people are saying "Ferentz is the best we could hope to get and keep". What an absolute joke. I damn near ****** myself when you claimed we have more talent than 10 teams pretty much year in and year out.

I'm literally speachless and that doesn't happen very often.

Well, there's no reason this team or the next two or three teams have to be 7-8 win teams.

Since 2002, when Kirk established everything we've had the more talented team on the field in almost every occasion except a few.

2002--more talented than ISU, but less than USC
2003--more talented than MSU, Purdue, less than OSU
2004--more talented than ASU, less than Mich
2005--more talented than ISU, Mich, NW, Florida, and less than OSU (the Mich and Florida refereeing were atrocious, but the Mich game should not have been close enough to let refs determine the outcome)
2006--more talented than Indiana, NW, Wisky, MN, less than OSU and Mich
2007--more talented than ISU, Indiana, Purdue, and Western Michigan, Wisky is a push, less talented than PSU
2008--more talented than Pitt, Illinois, NW, and MSU, less talented than PSU
2009--more talented than NW, less than OSU
2010--more talented than Arizona and Wisky (especially given their injury situation).

If Kirk just wins the games he's suppose to win (based on having better talent) and loses the games to the superior talent here are our regular season records:

2002: 12-0
2003: 11-1
2004: 10-1
2005: 10-1
2006: 10-2
2007: 10-1-1
2008: 11-1
2009: 11-1
2010: 7-0

This is not pie-in-the-sky, it's what SHOULD have happened based on comparative talent. The discrepancy between what should be the record and what is the record is due to the deficiencies of the coaching staff.

It's my hope they take a look at this and accept the reality for what it is, and not try to down-sell the program to lower expectations for contract renewals and fan demands.

You may be overrating Iowa's talent a bit.

I think he's a great person and a great representative of the University.

As a recruiter with an eye for undeveloped talent, he's the tops in all of football.

As a head coach, keeping his assistants happy and content, he's also tops.

In fact, as far as running a football operation, there aren't many people I would want instead of him.

He's also perhaps the best business man in the state of Iowa, signing lucrative deals at exactly the right time (peaked expectations). More on this later.

He has his flaws, like all of us, and here is where I see them showing up:

1. He's very stubborn to change
  2. It took him almost a decade before he was willing to replace starters based on game performance
  3. It took him almost a decade to start running QB sneak on 3rd and 4th and short instead of handing the ball off 7 yards deep
  4. It took way too many years for him to take ISU serious (by that I mean running aggressive down-field plays instead of coming out throwing the fullback)
  5. He does a lousy job of managing a player's eligibility (wasting their red-shirt freshman year, only to see them use up their eligibility when hitting full stride)
  6. Clock management is...well, Kirk should be sending Les Miles a Christmas card every year
But worst of all, he has bought into his own "coach-speak" on Iowa's ability to be successful. By this I mean he really, truly believes that it's a daunting task to beat every team in the Big 10 regardless of the talent he possesses.

It's in Kirk's personal interest to down-sell Iowa's chances to the fans and then "over-deliver", which some on this site fall for each and every time (ie. "We're Iowa", "We're not sexy", etc). But that mentality has lead him to coach the games today the same way he did in 1999 when the talent gap was reversed.

My best friend calls him Captain Coinflip because regardless of opponent, the game comes down to the end. Granted, we've made some progress: early on it use to come down to our ability to connect on a hail mary, then it progressed to hinging on our ability to execute an on-side kick, and now we're firmly in the category of needing to make the last-second field goal to secure wins.

The problem is that Kirk is not as good of a gameday coach with the superior talent as he was with inferior talent. This is something that is changeable, but I'm not optimistic that we'll see it change. The evidence for this is the standard "Hawks go up by 14 points and regardless of the quarter, the Hawks start running out the clock." Kirk is still in the mindset that the other team is better and the fewer plays are run the higher the chances of Iowa "stealing" a victory.

Why didn't we use time outs when Wisky was running down our throats and there were still 3 minutes left? We were also moving at will against them and clearly, whoever had the ball last was going to win. He was hoping the clock would run out before they could score a touchdown.

I'm as tired of all the flaws as the rest of Hawkeyenation, but I recognize that having Kirk with his flaws is better than not having him. We don't ever get blown out anymore like we regularly did with Hayden. We have a chance to win every game we're in, but unfortunately, we have a chance to lose every game we're in, too.

If Kirk would just accept the fact that he's been so successful at building up the PROGRAM that he doesn't need COACH like he's got a 1-10 team he can take us to the next level. If you believe, as Kirk does, that there's only a 50-50% chance of winning each game, whether it's Northwestern or Ohio State, we'll continue to see the upset and shocking loss in the same seasons.

He's getting paid $3 million dollars a year and there are frustrated people writing the checks. They like him and appreciate all that he and his family have done, but it's reasonable for the fans to EXPECT him to continue improving on his weaknesses, when they are the only things keeping the program from reaching the next level.

Go Hawks!

This is 100% correct. I want to add to it though. KF plays to his opponents level. Some of the reason why Iowa doesn't get a lot of respect is because of this. Like you said, we should win some games handily but we always end up making them closer than they should be. In this day and age, everything is about style points. KF is not a fan of style points and thats fine, but if Iowa wants to be at the next level they need to start producing some more of these infamous style points and winning the games they are suppose to win (i.e. Indiana and Northwestern) by bigger margins than by a last second field goal. I understand there are just games that Iowa doesn't play there best, but we consistently let lesser teams hang around with us longer than they should. Voters today think a 52-28 win is better than a 28-0 win. It's just the world we live in. Now I'm not saying we need to start going Boise on opponents and winning 68-0, but an extra score cushion before we start running out the clock we could become that consistent BCS contender.

That being said, if KF wants to run out the clock, thats fine. But I think we need to put up another score or two before starting to do it. Take a little extra pressure off the defense, have some faith in the offense. For example, Penn State, Michigan, and Wisconsin this year. Penn State hung around with Iowa for the whole game and the end of the game was getting a little tight. Michigan was way to close for comfort at the end of the game, way closer than it should have been. Wisconsin, we were able to pass all day on them, but we decided to start running the ball up the gut for 1 yard trying to run out the clock. If we would have attempted to score again (it seemed like after Greenwood's interception we didn't even try to score and settled for a field goal) we would have won.

But I agree but until Kirk gets up with speed with the times, we will be the consistent Capital One Bowl and Outback bowl contenders. I'm a UNI alum and have witnessed how attempting to run out the clock early in games does. UNI lost a chance to be in the title game 2 years ago because of it and almost lost some other games that they easily should have one.

Why does a one point loss to a top 10 program suddenly make us audit Ferentz' worth?

You people are so myopic the prospect of sharing the same roads with you frightens me...

I agree 100%. I would love to do job performance evaluations on some of these stooges that are posting these moronic opinions. If they do have jobs...

We're going to really be loving that $3 million a year when we drop back down to 7-8 win seasons the next couple of years.

It only took a day before the salary talk started. Petty, petty, petty talk.

There's 5 games left this year (6 including the bowl) and people are already worried about only winning 8 games next year.

It's very very hard to win 10 or 11 games every year, for any school. Look it up.

I love that KF is being paid $3+ million a year because 1) it shows UI can afford it, 2) he's worth it, and 3) in 10 years other quality coaches, some we don't even know about right now, will look at Iowa as a place they want to be.

Actually simohawk is on to something, here. How many folks know that the University of Iowa has 31 men on NFL rosters right now? This ranks 10th among all universities, currently. I believe USC is tops with 41 or 42.

I know it's kind of a fad to think that little ol' Iowa just has a bunch of hayseeds on their football team, but NFL executives understand the program, facilities, and talent that has been present at Iowa for the years simohawk has broken down.

There is an argument that most of these players on NFL rosters are not 'skill' players, and are mostly O and D linemen, but in my opinion, those are the players that more often than not control the outcome of a football game. I think Kirk Ferentz would also agree with that statement.

IMHO, this football program has every right to expect results, and needs to always look inward and take stock of some of the excellent critiques stated by the OP. I don't think fans in Nebraska criticize their own fan base for wanting excellence, demanding growth, and yearning for National Championships. What the heck are Iowa fans afraid of? What would Dan Gable say of muted expectations? I think we all know the answer to that...

Last edited:
It only took a day before the salary talk started. Petty, petty, petty talk.

There's 5 games left this year (6 including the bowl) and people are already worried about only winning 8 games next year.

It's very very hard to win 10 or 11 games every year, for any school. Look it up.

I love that KF is being paid $3+ million a year because 1) it shows UI can afford it, 2) he's worth it, and 3) in 10 years other quality coaches, some we don't even know about right now, will look at Iowa as a place they want to be.

Good luck trying to convince people of how hard it is to win 10 or 11 games every. I'm at the point where if these idiots can't understand how many breaks and how much luck it does take to win that many year after year then I'm not going to try and make them understand because it is impossible.

Actually simohawk is on to something, here. How many folks know that the University of Iowa has 31 men on NFL rosters right now? This ranks 10th among all universities, currently. I believe USC is tops with 41 or 42.

I know it's kind of a fad to think that little ol' Iowa just has a bunch of hayseeds on their football team, but NFL executives understand the program, facilities, and talent that has been present at Iowa for the years simohawk has broken down.

There is an argument that most of these players on NFL rosters are not 'skill' players, and are mostly O and D linemen, but in my opinion, those are the players that more often than not control the outcome of a football game. I think Kirk Ferentz would also agree with that statement.

IMHO, this football program has every right to expect results, and needs to always look inward and take stock of some of the excellent critiques stated by the OP. I don't think fans in Nebraska criticize their own fan base for wanting excellence, demanding growth, and yearning for National Championships. What the heck are Iowa fans afraid of? What would Dan Gable say of muted expectations? I think we all know the answer to that...

What your not happy with the results up to date???? Seriously some of you need to put the pipe down and start thinking before you start typing. It is downright sad the crap I'm reading. KF created this environment you guys are now whinning about. Do you guys honestly think that KF doesn't want to win a National Championship. Just stop!!

Some of you seem to operate under the assumption that those of us who are being critical are expecting the Hawks to win 10-11 games every year. That is not the case. In fact, it's just the opposite. We realize that those seasons do not come around all that often for us, and are disappointed that this year's team, which certainly has/had the ability to win 10+ games, hasn't delivered the way they were expected to.

There's a big difference there. A very large amount of Hawk fans (and even national pundits) thought that this was the year we would go back to the Rose Bowl, and now the chances of that are slim. We haven't been to the Rose Bowl in 20 years. I was born in March of 1990. I've NEVER seen the Hawks play in Pasadena, and this team looked primed to do so. And I'm disappointed about it.

However, my disappointment thus far hasn't stemmed solely from last night's game. I've been seeing problems all year (special teams, poor tackling). We've gotten away with it against the teams that weren't good enough to take advantage of those mistakes, like BSU, EIU, Michigan (barely), and we haven't against the teams that were good enough to take advantage of them (Wisconsin and Arizona). I'm hardly saying that we will lose 3 of our last 5. But it IS possible, as MSU, OSU, and Northwestern are all good enough to take advantage of our mistakes.

Latest posts