My starting 5

hawkeye12345

PG - Cartwright
Wing - Oglesby
Wing - Gatens
PF - White
PF - Basabe

There is simply a void at the C position and there is no polite way to say it.

Next Year

PG - Gesell
Wing - Oglesby
Wing - White
PF - Basabe
C - Woodbury

That's a MONSTER starting 5. 6'2" is the shortest player on the floor with a 6'5" SG, 6'7 and 6'8 Wing and PF and 7' Center. That's what a starting 5 should look like.

Off the bench

Marble
McCabe
Clemmons
Meyer
Olaseni

That is my 10 man rotation with Meyer and Olaseni only coming in for short spurts or as needed for foul trouble. Marble and Clemmons would cover up Gesell and Oglesby, McCabe covers White and Basabe.

That is what a basketball team looks like

PG - Cartwright
Wing - Oglesby
Wing - Gatens
PF - White
PF - Basabe

Next Year

PG - Gesell
Wing - Oglesby
Wing - White
PF - Basabe
C - Woodbury

That's a MONSTER starting 5. 6'2" is the shortest player on the floor with a 6'5" SG, 6'7 and 6'8 Wing and PF and 7' Center. That's what a starting 5 should look like.

Off the bench

Marble
McCabe
Clemmons
Meyer
Olaseni

That is my 10 man rotation with Meyer and Olaseni only coming in for short spurts or as needed for foul trouble. Marble and Clemmons would cover up Gesell and Oglesby, McCabe covers White and Basabe.

You nailed it.

Why are some of these guys getting so many minutes? I simply do not understand it.

Slight adjustment:

PG - Cartwright
SG - Gatens
Wing - White
PF - Basabe
C - McCabe

Unfortunately for Oglesby he is stuck behind Gatens...which isn't necessarily a bad thing right now as the kid is a freshman and will get plenty of playing time. Oglesby is my 6th man and Marble is getting minutes before May too. Throw Olaseni on the floor to get some minutes and fill in the gap with Brommer only as needed.

Thats a 10 man rotation with the younger guys logging most of the minutes.

Mine...

PG Cartwright
SG Ogelsby
SF May
SF Marble
PF White

How can anyone who has watched this year and last year put May in their starting lineup?? :confused: He brings nothing to the table on offense...nothing. He is good for a break away dunk here and there but that is it. He is hesitant, he still struggles to the handle the ball and the offense really bogs down when he touches the ball.

My lineup right now would be:

Cartwright
Oglesby
Gatens
Basabe
McCabe

McCabe seems to give the most effort and he is feisty which this team needs. Cole brought a toughness last year and McCabe is the closest thing we have to that right now.

PG - CartwrightWing - OglesbyWing - GatensPF - WhitePF - BasabeThere is simply a void at the C position and there is no polite way to say it.Next YearPG - GesellWing - OglesbyWing - WhitePF - BasabeC - WoodburyThat's a MONSTER starting 5. 6'2" is the shortest player on the floor with a 6'5" SG, 6'7 and 6'8 Wing and PF and 7' Center. That's what a starting 5 should look like.Off the benchMarbleMcCabeClemmonsMeyer OlaseniThat is my 10 man rotation with Meyer and Olaseni only coming in for short spurts or as needed for foul trouble. Marble and Clemmons would cover up Gesell and Oglesby, McCabe covers White and Basabe.That is what a basketball team looks like

Don't underestimate Meyer. He will be a big ten ready body, and is gonna be very solid.

Marble will be a starter before Oglesby
Oglesby is a good shooter but has not shown a defensive ability

my starting 5

Gesell
Marble
White
Basabe
Woodbury

6th man McCabe
Olaeni could see time at the 4 and 5, giving Iowa a twin tower
May will get minutes but will be determined by his confidence
Meyer will struggle as he will be a Freshman
so will Woodbury struggle at time but his struggling will be at a minimum

Have you guys watched Ogs and White on defense? They have miles to go. I think they can get there. But unless they make huge leaps, having both on the floor for a ton of minutes next year is not going to be a good thing.

From the Creighton game on...

May 4 ppg 3 rpg
Basabe 2 ppg 3 rpg.

Until that changes... the lineup wont really matter much.

I figured Basabe would carry this team with 17 and 9 each night, especially when I heard from my Iowa friends who said Bryce Cartwright was playing really well at the end last year.

Have you guys watched Ogs and White on defense? They have miles to go. I think they can get there. But unless they make huge leaps, having both on the floor for a ton of minutes next year is not going to be a good thing.

I agree they have miles to go but so does everyone else on this team. Just look at the shooting %'s of Iowa's opponents. May and Gatens are decent defenders but to say there is a big difference between those two and Oglesby/White is a stretch. They are better right now because of experience and that is it.

If we can't stop the other team from scoring we need to try and score with more efficiency and Oglesby/White have shown so far that they can score when given the chance.

May has had his chance and he doesn't have it. He should be playing football if he wants to someday make money playing a sport.

Cartwright
Oglesby
Gatens
Basabe
McCabe

First 3 off bench

Brommer
Marble
White

I think McCabe needs minutes because he is aggressive and plays with attitude. This team is soft and he is the most physical presence on the team.

PG - Cartwright
Wing - Oglesby
Wing - Gatens
PF - White
PF - Basabe

Next Year

PG - Gesell
Wing - Oglesby
Wing - White
PF - Basabe
C - Woodbury

Off the bench

Marble
McCabe
Clemmons
Meyer
Olaseni

After a disappointing loss I suppose offering up a new line-up is an entertaining exercise. But I find it a little silly to be be slotting in players who have yet to be fitted for an Iowa basketball uniform let alone arrived on campus.

See how this year plays out, see what the newcomers look like with a few games under their belts.

no matter how good Oglesby is as a shooter he won't start ahead of Marble
Oglesby has to play defense you can't have a guy out there doing nothing more than shoot
throwing Marble under the bus already because Oglesby hits a few 3's come-on people
unless you expect them to score 125 pts a game and don't care about defense

They should put Eric May at the 4. He could log 15-20 minutes a game. If he's as athletic as he seems, he should still be able to play some defense and get some garbage buckets.

cartwright
ogelsby
gatens
mccabe
white

bring in Basabe and May off the bench, as year progresses if they improve catch fire whatever insert in starting line-up.

Cartwright
Gatens
Oglesby
McCabe
White

Those 5 have the best overall body of work in terms of performance so far this season. That 5 will/would get eaten alive in the post but so will any 5 we have this year but right now those 5 are simply the best players on the team.

I put Marble in as the 6th man so far this year with Brommer providing decent back up minutes rebounding and being annoying on Defense. May and Basabe have not performed up to my preseason expectations and right now Basabe is contributing so little that it makes little sense giving him more than 10-12 minutes a game. Obviously if either May or Basabe's game play improves then Fran should give them more minutes.

PG - Cartwright
Wing - Oglesby
Wing - Gatens
PF - White
PF - Basabe

Next Year

PG - Gesell
Wing - Oglesby
Wing - White
PF - Basabe
C - Woodbury

Off the bench

Marble
McCabe
Clemmons
Meyer
Olaseni

First of all I will agree with you on the starting lineup for next year. I disagree with you on Meyer. Have you watched any tapes of this kid? He is as ready to play now as White is, and I love White. He will be the suprise recruit coming in.

Latest posts