My starting 5

1) Marble-He has actually had fewer turnovers than Cartwright, I know he has handled ball less. Actually handling the ball pretty well. I think his defense is better than bryce. MUCH better at defending the three on the perimeter. If he is in control of offense he will learn when to dish and when to take the shot.

2) May/Oglesby-Gatens has also been very suspect defending the three. Matt's defense seems to be better from 8-18 feet. May's shot will be ok, he has always been a streaky shooter and will be until he graduates. Fran just needs to see when he is off, and get him off the floor. I just think Eric and Josh are a little quicker than Matt to defend the shooter.

3) Gatens-We all know he has had trouble finishing inside at this level. However, it will be good for the team to get him to the foul line 4-5 times per game. I also think Matt has a little more problem getting his three point shot off against quicker two guards. I know he will give up some size at the three but we have that problem whoever we put in there.

4) Basabe-I think Mel is having some confidence issues with the loss of Cole. Mel is seeing A LOT of double teams. Once we get the 5 spot healthy weak side should be open for some easy shots. Mel will be ok. Mel was a very slow starter last year as well. I think he will be fine, too much talent.

5) Brommer-He will solidify as he gets healthy.

I am concerned why McCabe came out of the game when he was on fire in first half. He had four points and four rebounds in 5 minute span and came out of game. He never got back in his groove. At that point of game he was the only player able to score inside. Fran did the same thing to Aaron in second half. Basketball is a game of streaks, feed the beasts who are doing the damage and keep feeding them.

Mine:

1. Marble/Cartwright- Cartwright is terrible right now.
2. Oglesby- Best player and scorer.
3. Gatens- Just cause he's good.
4. White- Just cause.
5. McCabe- Undersized but agressive.

no matter how good Oglesby is as a shooter he won't start ahead of Marble
Oglesby has to play defense you can't have a guy out there doing nothing more than shoot
throwing Marble under the bus already because Oglesby hits a few 3's come-on people
unless you expect them to score 125 pts a game and don't care about defense

How do you know he can't play defense? No one is throwing marble under the bus but the teams needs someone that can shoot the ball on the floor. May doesn't want to shoot, Bryce can't shoot from 3 and Gatens is going to be keyed on by every team Iowa plays. Marble is streaky and has a nice mid range shot, but nothing from outside.

Marble might be the teams best defender though.

Latest posts