My man Keno...

BSpringsteen

I've just been convinced by another poster that this is going to be the hire, and as we talked, the more we both became convinced this is a great hire, I am changing my stance on this.. a 180.

Here are 10 reasons to hire Keno Davis.

1) Instant sell out for the first few games as this is a name hire. And as they see the fun style of bball, the fans will stay so long as they aren't getting blown out which is difficult to have happen in his style of play.

2) With sell outs comes a real home court advantage, making Iowa BBall fun again for players and fans and making a few close games swing into Iowa's favor.

3) He needs to hire a monster recruiting coordinator, that is real, and I think he will, or I think it may be mandated by Barta.

4) I agree that it is too early for him, but this is home, and the bar is set so low that he can have 3-4 years to grow into the job. He will eventually be a great coach, and his style will make us instantly competitive.

5) I think the entire team as well as the entire recruiting class stays for him. McCabe is already on board, Marble will certainly stay, and they will work on Larson and Brust. I am convinced Payne and Brust are a package deal at this point and Payne is going to have wet dreams about taking the ball end to end freely.

6) He has a top 50 national recruit going to Providence and we have an open scholarship.

7) This is not a stepping stone for him, this is a destiny for him.

8) He can get on campus NOW!

9) The hire will not break the bank, even if our bank is awfully hard to break.

10) He has an intimate knowledge of how to win at Iowa, what Iowa fans want to see and how to be a promoter of the program at I-Club events across the country... he will be a great fundraiser.

I've just been convinced by another poster that this is going to be the hire, and as we talked, the more we both became convinced this is a great hire, I am changing my stance on this.. a 180.

1) Instant sell out for the first few games as this is a name hire. And as they see the fun style of bball, the fans will stay so long as they aren't getting blown out which is difficult to have happen in his style of play.

2) With sell outs comes a real home court advantage, making Iowa BBall fun again for players and fans and making a few close games swing into Iowa's favor.

3) He needs to hire a monster recruiting coordinator, that is real, and I think he will, or I think it may be mandated by Barta.

4) I agree that it is too early for him, but this is home, and the bar is set so low that he can have 3-4 years to grow into the job. He will eventually be a great coach, and his style will make us instantly competitive.

5) I think the entire team as well as the entire recruiting class stays for him. McCabe is already on board, Marble will certainly stay, and they will work on Larson and Brust. I am convinced Payne and Brust are a package deal at this point and Payne is going to have wet dreams about taking the ball end to end freely.

6) He has a top 50 national recruit going to Providence and we have an open scholarship.

10) He has an intimate knowledge of how to win at Iowa, what Iowa fans want to see and how to be a promoter of the program at I-Club events across the country... he will be a great fundraiser.

This is the hazard of engaging in conversation with another poster in a very heated environment, as this has become. Reality becomes distorted.

With all due respect, reading your arguments in favor of Keno make me even more convinced that he is not the right fit for the program.

Yep. Made the same post yesterday. I have been hearing too much chatter about Keno in Iowa City to dismiss it. I think he will be in Iowa City next season.

If this is the hire, I'm also curious on who his assistants would be. Do Chris and Rodell join him in Iowa City?

We've had 10 years of misery trying to figure out why we insist on hiring mid-major flavor of the month coaches and pay them top 20 salaries so why would you want this to continue?

Keno has proven that he can lose 19 games in a season with his own players. Keno has not proven he can build a program. Why is he at the top of so many lists? 1 NCAA tournament appearance with 0 wins.

This is the hazard of engaging in conversation with another poster in a very heated environment, as this has become. Reality becomes distorted.

With all due respect, reading your arguments in favor of Keno make me even more convinced that he is not the right fit for the program.

OK, refute the 10 points I made them... convince me otherwise.

Keno would not make me excited and am sure there are many others that feel that way.

If we can't get Pearl, Pastner, Wright, Dixon, Drew, Williams and about 8 others then I am ok with Keno :)

FWIW McCabe said he is still comming and said he spoke to Cody Larson and they are on the same page.

Those are many of the reasons I like him as well. Throw in the fact that his recruiting classes at Providence has consisted of kids from Texas, Wisc, Colorado, NY, RI, GA, NJ, etc. if clearly shows he can recruit on a national level.

On top of that, Providence has by far and away the worst basketball facilities of ANY Big East school. They do not even have a on-campus arena and the undergraduate enrollment is less that 4K TOTAL.

Would be a great hire! Not a Bruce Pearl type hire, but one that I think could have a great deal of success.

I don't have a problem with Keno IF we spend the money we save on his him to hire a top of the line staff. In my opinion, that has been the biggest mistake of the last 2 hires.

I wouldnt mind if Keno was hired, would he be my first choice? idk. I like that he is familiar with iowa and has iowa ties.

Any coach is going to be an instant sell-out for the first few games until said coach proves he can't win.

This statement has nothing to do with Keno.

Again, nothing to do with Keno. You could insert any coach's name here.

No he couldn't. I think the bar is set HIGH and Barta knows it. I think that Barta's job is now on the line and he knows that too. The fan base will not accept another 3-4 years of putrid ball. Especially when Barta says money is not a problem.

Do we really care that much about one recruiting class? Brust has been named 2nd team All-State. Marble is a legacy, the kid from SD has baggage. McCabe is 6'9". It's at best the 5th best recruiting class in the Big10.

I agree with this point. There is rumors of another top 100 kid signing as well.

Are we watching the diner scene in "Back To The Future"?

Which is exactly why he's not a good hire. Make the NCAAs with a team that your dad didn't put together then we can talk. He will be available in 5-10 years.

He makes $1million right now. Lick made $1.2million (maybe a little higher but I'm not looking it up). Why pay another unproven mid-major, flavor of the month that kind of coin just to learn on the job?

WTF does that mean? Any proven coach knows how
to win, he just hasn't proven he can win with his own players.

How's that for you?

I would also be very pleased to see Keno named as the Hawk's next coach. If this were to occur would like to see him bring in a top notch recruiter and a past Iowa player that knew TD's defensive system and could teach it.

Heck go get your defensive coach in Ryan Bowen...unless of course he is still playing in the NBA.

Keno has not proven he can do anything so i will have take a major pass here...would be serioulsy disappointed if he is hired.

We've had 10 years of misery trying to figure out why we insist on hiring mid-major flavor of the month coaches and pay them top 20 salaries so why would you want this to continue?

Keno has proven that he can lose 19 games in a season with his own players. Keno has not proven he can build a program. Why is he at the top of so many lists? 1 NCAA tournament appearance with 0 wins.

If Providence was in the Big Ten this year they finish no worse than 5th and he wouldn't have 19 losses. I didn't want Keno either, but everyday that goes by and the more I think about it I don't think he would be bad. If he could get a recruiting coordinator that opens up Chicago and St. Louis he would be just fine.

People claim his teams don't play D and that is somewhat true and I don't think that would be a trend, but after what I have watched the last 3 years I could stomach a loss better after scoring 106 points as opposed to scoring 40 points and losing.

Recruits want to play for a guy that wnats to score points. As soon as his recruits realize that just scoring poits will not win you games they will play defense. His dad's teams scored points but didn't play that great of defense. There really isn't a team in the big 10 that gets uo and down the floor like the Iowa teams of old. The guys on Iowa's roster can play some defense, think they could score 80 points a game? I would love to find out. Keno will actually mix up his defenses to and press, sounds like what the Iowa fans want.

I think Keno would put everything he has into this job at Iowa, but then again Todd put everything he had into it as well. While Keno's name will be bantied about, I don't think I like him in my top 10.
Bruce Pearl
Mark Turgeon
Kevin Stallings
Scott Drew
Buzz Williams
These are more favored in my book.

Latest posts