My goodness, enough of this "we gifted them a win" nonsense

What gift did Iowa give the badgers on its 88 yard drive to take the lead? Iowa was ahead with 5+ minutes left. Any gift Wisconsin was given was already wiped out by Iowa' score. Wisconsin won because it outplayed Iowa when the chips were on the table. Going back to much earlier plays is ridiculous. The game is 60 minutes long.

It shouldn't even have been that close at the end. But you're right, even with everything that went wrong for Iowa, we still just needed one last stop. Everything had to go just right for Wisconsin, and it did and they won. Congrats.

What gift did Iowa give the badgers on its 88 yard drive to take the lead? Iowa was ahead with 5+ minutes left. Any gift Wisconsin was given was already wiped out by Iowa' score. Wisconsin won because it outplayed Iowa when the chips were on the table. Going back to much earlier plays is ridiculous. The game is 60 minutes long.

you can't be this dumb?

They gave them the gift of not being up multiple scores by that time.

Anyone remember the 2003 Michigan game where they couldn't get a punt off? We were gifted that game. It's ok to say.

The point, unknownbadger, of the gifted turnovers was that Wisconsin had a chance to win the game on the last drive based on what happened with those two turnovers. If they were down 10, instead of 3...that's the point.

I get it, ifs and butts...Wisconsin made the plays they had to when the game was on the line. That's what it comes down to IMO.

Iowa fans are left to wonder what the score would have been if those special teams miscues don't happen. I'm of the mind, biased as I am, that they gave Wisconsin 7 points and cost Iowa 3. The other thing is that they kept Iowa's defense on the field where Wisconsin wanted them.

Turnovers that are earned by the defense are not gifts. DB's making a play on a ball, a DE getting to the QB and stripping him, a solid hit on a RB...all plays the defense created and I would certainly not call them gifts.

A live punt that had rolled dead and our guys happens by unaware and touches it happens about 5 times a year in college football and is truly a rare thing. Doing so on your 10 yard line is even more unusual. Gift.

A punt returner is barely touched, but wasn't expecting it...loses control of the ball. Unforced error in my opinion...he was barely touched. gift. That was an unusual play.

Both of those plays absolutely killed momentum and one led to 7 points.
I think you put it into words well. An interception, not a gift. A fumble in an off tackle run, not a gift. Grazing a dead ball with your foot or bumping a guy's hip who isn't even engaged with you are not the same and anyone trying to pretend they are is just being contrarian.

I haven't read thru the posts, but how can you label this anything but a gift?

1. Groenewig fumbles on a 40 yd punt return without literally being touched.
2. Shaun Beyer backs up and kicks a live ball without literally being touched.
3. The Epenesa sack was absolutely a strip sack, but our coaching staff refused to challenge it.

Just those three things right there are the difference between a win and a loss.

The game was gift wrapped....I hope they enjoy Indy.

No, Iowa didn't gift anything to the opponent. Wisconsin is simply a more disciplined and better team than Iowa. Pretty simple when you look at it.

So after the defense successfully stopping them and forcing a punt, giving the ball to the Wisconsin offense on the 10 yard line isn't a gift? The only thing better would have been if it had been closer and would have caromed off of Beyer's leg into the end zone and then Wisconsin recovers for a TD. As it was, it took them 3 plays to score.

If that's not a gift, I don't want to go to your Christmas celebration.

Going back to earlier plays is NOT ridiculous. Play calling is based on situation: down, yards to go, points ahead or behind. You're going to tell me that if Iowa had NOT fumbled the punt return and got the ball on about the 50 yard line (shortest field they would have had all night) that even if they didn't score, they would have very much flipped field position. No, that play was a gift. It didn't cost Iowa points but it cost in the mental game and the momentum.

And the inadvertent touch? If Iowa had not inadvertently touched and got the ball on the 10, they would have at LEAST run three plays and punted and who knows if Wisconsin would have scored then? As it was Wisconsin had 10 yards to score, and did.

Both of these plays changed what happened later in the game, if nothing else the number of reps the Iowa defense was on the field would have been different making a difference in that last long drive. Anyone that says unforced errors don't matter has never played or coached at a highly competitive level. One team cannot give the opponent opportunities to win with unforced errors.

Going back to earlier plays is NOT ridiculous. Play calling is based on situation: down, yards to go, points ahead or behind. You're going to tell me that if Iowa had NOT fumbled the punt return and got the ball on about the 50 yard line (shortest field they would have had all night) that even if they didn't score, they would have very much flipped field position. No, that play was a gift. It didn't cost Iowa points but it cost in the mental game and the momentum.

And the inadvertent touch? If Iowa had not inadvertently touched and got the ball on the 10, they would have at LEAST run three plays and punted and who knows if Wisconsin would have scored then? As it was Wisconsin had 10 yards to score, and did.

Both of these plays changed what happened later in the game, if nothing else the number of reps the Iowa defense was on the field would have been different making a difference in that last long drive. Anyone that says unforced errors don't matter has never played or coached at a highly competitive level. One team cannot give the opponent opportunities to win with unforced errors.

Completely agree. The reason why great KF teams have been great is because all 3 phases help each other. The entire philosophy is predicated on playing disciplined football so you don't beat yourself, LITERALLY THE ENTIRE PHILOSOPHY. So yes, it is HUGE when we have a 4 possession swing. Two possessions to Wisconsin tiring our defense and two possessions less on offense that are scoring opportunities taken away from us. We scored on the prior and ensuing possessions in both cases making something out of nothing. You can't tell me we wouldn't have had a chance to put up at least 6 and possibly 14 points on those drives. Take away 7 from Wisconsin and you have yourself a 13-21 point swing in what was effectively a 4 point game. I think that lends perspective to how well we were playing in spite of those two gifts. I wouldn't be scared of Wisconsin if we had to play them again because I think we win that game 7/10 times even with only one of those "gifts". When you're all about momentum in a game you know is going to be close, unforced turnovers always loom large.

I haven't read thru the posts, but how can you label this anything but a gift?

1. Groenewig fumbles on a 40 yd punt return without literally being touched.
2. Shaun Beyer backs up and kicks a live ball without literally being touched.
3. The Epenesa sack was absolutely a strip sack, but our coaching staff refused to challenge it.

Just those three things right there are the difference between a win and a loss.

The game was gift wrapped....I hope they enjoy Indy.

Bottom line is with 5:00 left, Wisconsin was at their own 12-yard line in an incredibly hostile environment. They proceeded to drive the length of the field and scored. They took the game. Iowa could’ve shut it down on that drive and didn’t. That is champion DNA.

Wisconsin was also missing multiple key players (not including that WR). They could lose 3 more games or they could run the table. Iowa could run the table as well or drop 2-games they shouldn’t. I’ll wait to see how the season shakes out. It appears the West is just those 2 teams but who knows?

Bottom line is with 5:00 left, Wisconsin was at their own 12-yard line in an incredibly hostile environment. They proceeded to drive the length of the field and scored. They took the game. Iowa could’ve shut it down on that drive and didn’t. That is champion DNA.

Wisconsin was also missing multiple key players (not including that WR). They could lose 3 more games or they could run the table. Iowa could run the table as well or drop 2-games they shouldn’t. I’ll wait to see how the season shakes out. It appears the West is just those 2 teams but who knows?

Oh really, where was the champion DNA against BYU? That was the same situation and Wisconsin choked. Regardless, it shouldn't even have been that close.

B.S. 2 unforced turnovers of the DUMB variety was the reason Iowa lost. Simple as that. I was at the game and those two plays completely changed Big Mo along with going for it on 4 and almost 2 instead of taking the early lead. Plus a big assist to Brian for chucking the ball up in the air on 2 and 5 in the fouth where the OL was kicking the a%& of the Whiskey defense.
If you switch the logos on the helmets how would I feel... I'd feel fortunate... I would feel that losing the turnover ratio 3-0 and total yards and first downs and how it went that they should feel fortunate. Now they were clutch as well. That last drive they had some good execution/playcalling. They can feel good about that. They can feel good that they shut us down when we had 3 possessions in the 4th quarter with a 3 pt lead and they forced us to punt every time. Was that a them or us thing? Depends on where your sitting I guess.

Wisky isn't a great team Iowa can beat them 7 out of 10 times I think. That was just one of the 3 where Iowa shot themselves in the foot too many times.

Who are you, a Wisky fan??? Wow what are you doing here?

Ask yourself this:
Had Iowa won the exact same way, same everything, just swap teams, would you be sitting there saying "Boy, good thing Wisc gifted us that one, because they were clearly the better team"?
Haha like hell you would.
You would be lauding Iowa making plays when it counted, and that's what the better teams do.

Hopefully we can win out and Wisc drops a few.
I'd hate to disappoint OSU in Indy and their plans to return the favor from last year.

Actually, I think I would have said that and been fine with it. I have been in that situation before and said just that. I dont know if I would have added that they were clearly the better team.

But make no mistake, we did gift wrap that one for them. What else do you call it when they don’t do anything and we give them a ball on the ten yard line after we touch a punt by mistake when our guys should have been nowhere close to it and then we are inside the ten twice ourselves and come away with three points. And we fumble a punt return when we would have had the ball with only 45 yards to go for a TD.

They were the better team that day because they took advantage of everything we gave them and we did not do the same. I give them all the credit for doing that and for stopping us on 4th down at the 4 on that first drive.

We can give credit to Wisconsin, and they were the best team that day and maybe are just a better team this year when it is all said and done. That doesn’t change the fact that we gift wrapped this one for them, either.

Oh really, where was the champion DNA against BYU? That was the same situation and Wisconsin choked. Regardless, it shouldn't even have been that close.

Most teams in college football outside of Alabama are gonna drop some games. BYU was a non-con game.

Wisconsin got it done on the road in a meaningful conference game. Iowa can bemoan their own mistakes and there is validity to that but Wisconsin got it done when it mattered and left with a W. Anything else is sour grapes.

But make no mistake, we did gift wrap that one for them. What else do you call it when they don’t do anything and we give them a ball on the ten yard line after we touch a punt by mistake when our guys should have been nowhere close to it

Like I said earlier,
the inferior team is the team that will make the mistake in the first place.

Iowa didn’t gift wrap Wisconsin a 4th and 1 stop on a QB sneak at the 6-yard line or holding the hawks to 3-points on a 1st and goal from the 5-yard line.

I get the hand wringing over the mistakes but it’s part of the game. There were still plenty of other chances to end the game and it didn’t happen. Tip your cap and move on.

Latest posts