MY FIRST IOWA GAME of 2009-10

jparmley3

Observations

-- First of all, in reference to Sparky Lickliter (John), I have never...EVER...seen a D1 basketball player dribble with an arm bar. I laughed out loud when I saw it. I have 7th graders I coach that do that. But, that is to be expected from them.

POSITIVES:

- Really impressed with how Cully runs the floor; leads the team. For a freshman, he is pretty calm.

- Gatens is a strong player when you watch him in person.
- Cole works as hard as anyone I have ever seen in an Iowa uniform. He gets the most out of his 'talent'.

NEGATIVES:

- Nobody really moves without the ball
- Offense is stagnant for most of the shot clock
- Iowa crowd is really pathetic. I hate using that word, but it fits.
- Illinois student section was bigger than Iowa's

-- About 1 minute before tipoff, the Illinois student section (hiding in the cover of Iowa t-shirts), peeled off their Hawkeye shirts and had their orange on. I do not like admitting this, but, it was actually quite amusing and funny.

- On the flip side, that is how sad the state of affairs is for Iowa basketball.

- Not sure what the announced crowd was, but it could not be more than 10,000. And, at least 3000 were Illini fans.

-- This team showed me no signs that they are going to get any better. We lost to a very poor Illinois team. Illinois may be athletic, but they are not anywhere near the Illinois teams of recent history.

Well our students chanting "Orange Bowl Champs" really showed them. lol.

Honestly, I didn't even hear that.

The only thing I heard them chat the whole game was in reference to #32 and his 'injury'. The word they chanted is not something I care to type :)

Seriously, the Illinois fans took over CHA and made it their own.

Really pathetic to see.

I think Illinois' B10 record is 7-3. I could be wrong.

We are deluding ourselves, given our current talent level and depth, if we think we are going to play a lot better. If we can hit some shots, we might win a couple, otherwise, we are what we thought we were coming into the year. That is, unless you are some guy from Minnesota.

We need patience. We need no more transfers. We need next year's class to come in and make some immediate impact. We have seen some flashes, but hey just look at this team. IMO, one guy from last years team doesn't transfer, and we are a much better team as he could create, whereas no one else on this team can. But, he transferred.

I think Illinois' B10 record is 7-3. I could be wrong.

We are deluding ourselves, given our current talent level and depth, if we think we are going to play a lot better. If we can hit some shots, we might win a couple, otherwise, we are what we thought we were coming into the year. That is, unless you are some guy from Minnesota.

We need patience. We need no more transfers. We need next year's class to come in and make some immediate impact. We have seen some flashes, but hey just look at this team. IMO, one guy from last years team doesn't transfer, and we are a much better team as he could create, whereas no one else on this team can. But, he transferred.

Illinois is 6-3 in the BT.

Their wins have come against: Iowa (2), PSU (2), and Indiana (2)

Add the total wins in the BT of those three teams and you come up with FIVE.

So, you are not exactly giving us a real good example.

Face it, I_A23, we are not good and adding a couple of transfers coming back are not going to make it much better.

Illinois has also beaten NW, so that's 7-3. Now, get a load of their upcoming schedule:

Michigan State
@ Wisconsin
Ohio State
@ Purdue
@ Michigan
Minnesota
@ Ohio State
Wisconsin

That will be tough.

Last edited:
Illinois has also beaten NW, so that's 7-3. Now, get a load of their upcoming schedule:

Michigan State
@ Wisconsin
Ohio State
@ Purdue
@ Michigan
Minnesota
@ Ohio State
Wisconsin

That will be tough.

I stand corrected.

So, the (4) teams Illinois has beaten in the BT have a combined (9) conference wins. Out of a possible 36 wins. That is 25%.

Again, not exactly a great example.
Illinois is not a good team, and the BT is not very deep. That is not as much an opinion as it is factual.

But, we are beating a dead horse.

The real thing I want to stress is that my first real experience up close and personal of Iowa hoops was not good.

If Iowa were to play the #1 HS team in the nation, the Hawks would get housed.

"Seriously, the Illinois fans took over CHA and made it their own.

Really pathetic to see."

I was at the game too and felt the exact opposite. I had heard how many Illinois fans were gonna make the trip and while the student section of theirs that showed up did outnumber the Iowa student section, it was still roughly only 300 fans in one section behind the basket. I didn't think they made a lot of noise, certainly not anything imposing.

Also, you can't blame our crowd for not getting into when the team gives you nothing to get excited about. It was so frustrating watching this offense just stand around and pass it back and forth with no action to the hoop or no concerted effort to get the ball inside. When the game got close late, the crowd stepped up and got into it. It just didn't last long because Illinois responded both times the crowd got into it with made baskets.

Illinois will not make the tourney this year and will be lucky to 3-5 over their last 8. This was a game Iowa easily could have taken, but played very poorly.

I stand corrected.

So, the (4) teams Illinois has beaten in the BT have a combined (9) conference wins. Out of a possible 36 wins. That is 25%.

Again, not exactly a great example.
Illinois is not a good team, and the BT is not very deep. That is not as much an opinion as it is factual.

But, we are beating a dead horse.

The real thing I want to stress is that my first real experience up close and personal of Iowa hoops was not good.

If Iowa were to play the #1 HS team in the nation, the Hawks would get housed.
I agree that Illinois is not very good and the Big Ten is not as deep (or as good) as thought earlier in the year.

I don't agree that Iowa would lose to any high school team.

Illinois students have been doing that for years. They cheer for Iowa during the warmups, draw a lot of attention to themselves, then do the" big reveal." It was kind of cool when it was new, now it's just...played. Not a big shocker their students outdrew ours at CH-that is a tradition, too.
-Greg

A couple of weeks ago I heard Dolph say that there are over 500 student season tickets that have yet to be picked up from the ticket office. How pathetic is that? Our student section was never the best, but when I was in school for Alford's early years, the Hawks Nest was pretty cool and at least represented well every game.

"Seriously, the Illinois fans took over CHA and made it their own.

Really pathetic to see."

I was at the game too and felt the exact opposite. I had heard how many Illinois fans were gonna make the trip and while the student section of theirs that showed up did outnumber the Iowa student section, it was still roughly only 300 fans in one section behind the basket. I didn't think they made a lot of noise, certainly not anything imposing.

Also, you can't blame our crowd for not getting into when the team gives you nothing to get excited about. It was so frustrating watching this offense just stand around and pass it back and forth with no action to the hoop or no concerted effort to get the ball inside. When the game got close late, the crowd stepped up and got into it. It just didn't last long because Illinois responded both times the crowd got into it with made baskets.

Illinois will not make the tourney this year and will be lucky to 3-5 over their last 8. This was a game Iowa easily could have taken, but played very poorly.

That may have been true in person but on the BTN telecast half the time it looked and sounded like the game was being played in Champaign. Those of us on the live chat were screaming about the number of times the BTN came back from a timeout to show the Orange Krush and their screaming drunks getting in front of the camera.

A couple of weeks ago I heard Dolph say that there are over 500 student season tickets that have yet to be picked up from the ticket office. How pathetic is that? Our student section was never the best, but when I was in school for Alford's early years, the Hawks Nest was pretty cool and at least represented well every game.

I heard that comment too. I can't imagine, when I was in college, spending the money on tickets and not at least picking them up! Not a good sign!

Ya that chant really makes a basketball school like Illinois mad Im sure...

I had an Illinois fan sitting by me, around the age of 20, who, when the some of the crowd started making "wait for football" comments, absolutely went off.

"Who won the last time we played in football?" That was a tough thing to respond to.

But, I responded.

"Um, how much do you enjoy watching us play on New Year's Day each year?"

Then he said, and I quote, "well, um, at least our basketball team plays in the postseason."

I respond, "you win that one, but nice subject change. sounds like every Illini fan I have ever met. 'wait for basketball, we will beat you' .."

The kid then says, "you wanna go?" as if I wanted to fight him over it.

I said, "relax, Chochie. I am not going to fight you. I have already won. I only have to wear orange one time a year."

Illinois just moved back up the hatred list to a tie for the top again. Look out Wisconsin, the Illini are gaining on you. With a bullet.

Latest posts