MY FINAL (yes, FINAL) Big Ten Division Prediction

Jon, I think that's a good bet at this point.

Not saying it will happen, but if you swapped Indiana/Purdue for Illnois/Northwestern, you probably wouldn't shift the balance of power TOO much, but you'd also pick up two rivalry/trophy games: Illibuck and Old Brass Spitton.

Might make sense just to do that.

Not that I know of.

Some people think Iowa doesn't have a strong voice in this. NW, ILL, PUR & IND seem to have NO voice.

I think you swap the Illinois and NW protected rivalry. Give Illinois IU and give Purdue Northwestern.
From Wikipedia:Furthermore, the Big Ten football schedule is set up with each team having two permanent matches within the conference, with the other eight teams in the conference rotating out of the schedule in pairs for two-year stints. Permanent matches are as follows:

Illinois: Indiana, Northwestern
Indiana: Illinois, Purdue

Thats exactly how I see it unfolding. And I am happy with those divisions. I agree that Nebraska and Iowa are joined together wherever they fall!

Not that I know of.

Some people think Iowa doesn't have a strong voice in this. NW, ILL, PUR & IND seem to have NO voice.

Where is our voice at all? If we end up in the East we will have had NO voice as well.

EDIT: and wow Wisconsin will have a tough schedule year in and year out.

Where is our voice at all? If we end up in the East we will have had NO voice as well.

From what I have seen, the consensous is Iowa will be West and that means we did have a voice. If we go East you are correct and we were just told what to do. We wont know for sure until its announced but i think West is the best bet

Thats exactly how I see it unfolding. And I am happy with those divisions. I agree that Nebraska and Iowa are joined together wherever they fall!

why are nebbie and Iowa joined together?

it is a huge misconception to assume that you can simply create a rivalry over night.

Nebby vs. Iowa is going to be a monster rivarly. Nebby has not had a good rival since OU went to the south. I truly believe it will overshadow every other rivalry we have ever had. As an Iowa alum living in Omaha I am ready to carry the banner.

I LOVE the idea of Iowa being in the West and having to deal with Michigan and Nebraska...It's hard to say what will come of Michigan in the coming years but I am really not scared of them at this point. Nebraska is starting to come around but I see them pretty equal with Iowa so toss that coin on these games.

However in the East Ohio State would own us and thus Iowa would likely not see a B10 Championship game anytime soon.

Wouldn't these divsions be temporary anyway with more expansion on the horizon? And could the divisions change in 10 years if balance of power has shifted to other schools?

why are nebbie and Iowa joined together?

it is a huge misconception to assume that you can simply create a rivalry over night.

Not in the case of Iowa/Nebraska. A shared border, two arrogant, obnoxious fan-bases (according to Clown fan), one team who was once great, one who is on the cusp. This rivalry has been debated in bars and living rooms for decades. For the two schools this is an instant cash cow. Nebraska didn't need to join the B10 to create this rivalry, its always been there.

Not in the case of Iowa/Nebraska. A shared border, two arrogant, obnoxious fan-bases (according to Clown fan), one team who was once great, one who is on the cusp. This rivalry has been debated in bars and living rooms for decades. For the two schools this is an instant cash cow. Nebraska didn't need to join the B10 to create this rivalry, its always been there.

Couldn't said that any better!

Contiguous border, Osborne seems to want it and Iowa wants it.

Are you thinking that Iowa will continue to end the year vs Minn? I appreciate the Floyd of Rosedale tradition, but this rivalry has become one sided. Here's to hoping we end the season with NU..

You mentioned that Wisconsin would have to play 3 of the 4 winningest programs in the country...but we all already do that right now every year. It wouldn't be much different than playing Michigan Penn St Ohio State every year. I don't think it is as huge of an arguement for someone like Wisconsin who already plays those schools as for Nebraska, but then again, that is why Nebraska is joining the Big Ten...to play schools like that and their traditions. I don't worry about Grandpa Barry. Osborne inspires more fear in Big Ten ADs than Mr. Alvarez. Nebraska "gots our back" so to speak.

Latest posts