MY FINAL (yes, FINAL) Big Ten Division Prediction

I may be way over simplifing this, but why does there have to be divisions at all? With divisions not all team play each other anyway, there is still teams with easier/tougher schedules (divisions). Why can't they just keep a schedule simular to now, and the top two teams each year go the the CCG. I am sure there is something I am missing, but I would love it this way.

I hate to break it to you all, but 10 games in 70 years isn't a rivalry.

does it have the potential to become a good game, yes. but to anoint it as some great college football battle of the titans that rivals tOSU v Michigan a year before it even starts is a bit ridiculous.

This is coming from a member of Cyclone Nation, which seems to think that a few years of moderate success against the Huskers (bear in mind that it came during one of Nebraska's worst periods in their history, and one of ISU's best) is enough to warrant a rivalry. Nevermind that Nebraska fans don't really care about it other than to get payback for last year's fluke win. But that's not a rivalry. Iowa fans don't like Nebraska fans. Nebraska fans don't like Iowa fans. They both want their teams to shut the other fanbase up. They both WANT this game. It's not manufacturing the way the Big 12 tried to do with Nebraska and Colorado when Nebraska wanted Oklahoma. This is something both fanbases want. THAT is a natural rivalry, one that should hit the ground running.

Iowa/Nebraska wouldn't be creating one overnight, even though they have only played a handfull of times, the rivalry already exists. I know you as a clone fan wants Iowa to go East just so ISU doesn't become even more irrelevant in the State of Iowa but I have a feeling you won't get your wish.
41 times a handfull?

NU 26
Iowa 12
ties 3

I may be way over simplifing this, but why does there have to be divisions at all? With divisions not all team play each other anyway, there is still teams with easier/tougher schedules (divisions). Why can't they just keep a schedule simular to now, and the top two teams each year go the the CCG. I am sure there is something I am missing, but I would love it this way.
The NCAA says that if you have a conference championship you must have the champions of two divisions meet each other.

originally i was going to pick 3 losses, (AZ, MICH, and OSu). But i think for the first time ever, i am going on the record for a 12-0 regular season record. Why Not?

Wasn't aware that the win/loss record matters; you made your point with 41.

Next year, it's 0-0.

Well, the win/loss matters a little if we're trying to say it's a rivalry. 26-12-3 ain't exactly .500 like the Wisconsin series, but it's competitive. It's not a deal where one side considers it a rivalry, and the other doesn't because they hold a very lopsided edge in the series.

That's close to my proposed alignment. My opinion: the slotted divisional pairings and the proposed protected rivalries don’t make sense. Not to me anyway. Is Illinois-Purdue a rivalry? NW-Indiana? While those four don’t have any clout in deciding whom their rival is going to be or which division they'll be in, there is a better way even for them, I think.

We all know what is known about alignment or what can be reasonably assumed from the trial balloons and talking heads paraphrasing whispers from those inside the latte-laden conference rooms.

The unknowns boil down to two:

1. Which directions Iowa and Wisconsin will go. And while I think both schools are the keys to determining divisional alignments based on the two most important criteria, Wisconsin is the master key.

2. Which school gets Nebraska as a rival? PSU, as some yearn for in recapturing their youth, or Wisconsin as Alvarez and Bielema have been in campaign mode like they‘re channeling Bill Clinton.

The answer to #2 I’m thinking will go a long way in determining the answer to #1.

So here is the guessing part.

Wisconsin has put feelers out for getting Nebraska as a rival -- either as a divisional rival or an inter-division protected rival -- trying to trump Iowa or PSU. That's not good news for Iowa because in that pecking order, Iowa is #3.

Pinned to a white trial balloon with two center-red stripes this message was found in Barry’s handwriting: “If we go to the East then we want Nebraska as our protected rival. If we can’t get that, then we want to be in the West with Nebraska and you can move Iowa to the East.“

While the talking heads want to see the Big10 setting up PSU and Nebraska as protected rivals, I have yet to read or hear anything about Penn State wanting that. So I’m giving the nod to Wisconsin going East and Iowa going West. Both schools and Nebraska are happy.

And so is PSU. If MSU is big enough to play a rivalry with the Notre Dame, then they’re big enough to play a rivalry game with PSU. Besides, when ND joins the Big10, PSU will gladly call, “DIBBS!” after “voluntarily sacrificing” their rivalry with Nebraska.

With Wisconsin going East, Minnesota will go with them to maintain the longest rivalry in college football -- or something like that. Iowa then will get Minnesota as their protected rival. That's a big negative for me since Iowa-Wisconsin is a solid, equal, head-knocking rivalry.

And now is where I disagree with the Talking/Typing Heads. The remaining four teams make sense to split up because of their geography for the following reasons: by splitting up the in-state schools, (1) these schools will have “natural” rivals for the Big10 Rivalry Weekend. (2) fan and media attention within these states will be decentralized -- in other words, the focus within these larger population states will be split between both divisions rather than focusing on one division as would be the case if both state schools were in the same division. That's not a huge deal, but when getting down to this level, minutia matters. And I think it will help in decreasing the likelihood that the Big10 will become as compartmentalized/regionalized as the Big12 was. That ended up not being a good thing.

So the divisions look like this:

EAST . . . . . . WEST
OSU <- - - - > MICH
PSU < - - - - > MSU
WIS < - - - - > NEB
MIN <- - - - -> IOWA
PUR < - - - - > IND
ILL <- - - - - > NW

Not much of a difference from Miller's in the upper half. However . . . Following The Delaney Realignment Rules had me thinking the bottom quartet in a little different light.

After setting up the divisions, I spent some time during a Big10 Greatest Games Replay to do some stats from different perspectives and shades. Here are the categories with the numbers below. The first column contains three numbers: the first is conference record above .500% , the second is =.500%, the third is under .500%. The second column is number of seasons in the top 4 finishes and in the bottom 4 finishes in the conference standings (including ties).

School . . . . Record . . T4-B4 . .Wins
1. OSU . . . 15-1-1 . . . 15-1 . . . 106
2. MICH . . 15-0-2 . . . .12-2 . . . .94
3. NEB . . . 13-1-3 . . . .12-2 . . . .97
4. PSU . . . 12-3-2 . . . .9-2 . . . . .91
5. WIS . . . 10-2-5 . . . .8-3 . . . . .79
6. IOWA . . .7-4-6 . . . . 7-5 . . . . 71
7. NW . . . . 7-1-9 . . . . 6-9 . . . . .59
8. MSU . . . .5-6-6 . . . . 3-6 . . . . .63
8. PURD . . . 5-5-7 . . . . 4-7 . . . . .63
10. ILL . . . . 3-3-11 . . . 2-10 . . . .45
11. MIN . . . .2-2-13 . . . 2-9 . . . . .44
12. IND . . . .1-1-15 . . . 0-14 . . . . 31

Looking at the >.500% records and top 4 finishes, the seeding (surprisingly) lines up well with the conference alignment I propose. But there is a better way to determine divisional competitiveness top-to-bottom. By adding the stats of each school the division totals look like this:

DIV . . . . Record . . . T4-B4 . .Wins
East . . . . 47-16-39 . . 40-32 . . 427
West . . . .48-13-41 . . 40-38 . . 415

Those stats are amazingly balanced in spite of OSU’s dominance and Indiana’s ineptness. There is no way that Indiana and Minnesota should be placed in the same divisions with sub-.500 records in 17 years numbering 15 and 13 respectfully (or disrespectfully).

Flipping Iowa-Wisconsin would tilt the >.500% records to the West from a difference of +1 to a difference of +7. That's not huge, but it is substantial and would disassemble the natural rivals mentioned above.

Flipping the final four entrants as pairs would skewer the stats in making the East very light at the bottom and making the West, like me, with a lot more girth around its middle.

This flip does make some sense to me if the proposed OSU-PSU-WIS trinity balk at a top-tier that is slightly heavier than the West and want a break at the bottom of the division. That would not be in line with The Delaney Realignment Rule #1, although it would still maintain all the natural rivalries (Delaney Rule #2). In any proposed alignment, Delaney Rule #3 is going to be stretched, but stretching wouldn't be beyond recognition or be necessarily a bad thing.

I feel like I've wandered into The Three Rules of Robotics that are supposed to be absolute but always finding some way of being bent ever so slightly to bring about the story's end. Jim Delaney is the sports version of sci-fi writer Isaac Asimov.

And now I'm picturing Will Smith lacing up Converse canvas high-tops -- sweeeeet.

If he would only have had a pair of cleats hanging over his shoulder . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Switch purdue to the west and Indiana to the East. This will make it easy for Notre dame to join the West in the future knowing they would still have games with Mich, MSU, and Purdue.

Great analysis DDThompson!
Hawkeyz10, i agree with switching Purdue and Indiana. This also saves the Illinois and Indiana rivalry. Then ND's protected rivalry could be Indiana.

If ND comes in they will play Mich, MSU, and Purdue every year

I don't really care if Illinois is matched up with Indiana or Purdue, both make sense

You mentioned that Wisconsin would have to play 3 of the 4 winningest programs in the country...but we all already do that right now every year. It wouldn't be much different than playing Michigan Penn St Ohio State every year. I don't think it is as huge of an arguement for someone like Wisconsin who already plays those schools as for Nebraska, but then again, that is why Nebraska is joining the Big Ten...to play schools like that and their traditions. I don't worry about Grandpa Barry. Osborne inspires more fear in Big Ten ADs than Mr. Alvarez. Nebraska "gots our back" so to speak.

I know what you are getting at, but we do not play everyone every year, most years, not every year.

I still don't get the love for having Nebraska play Wisconsin, nor for a 'rivalry' game between Nebraska and PSU.

What, because Nebraska and PSU come in with #3 and #4 wins among Big Ten teams, that automatically means they have to play each other?

As for Wisconsin, maybe they're just sick of losing to Iowa lately? More than anything, I think it's simply Wisconsin trying to angle for the better opponent compared to another Indiana or Purdue game. But I'm sure all the talk from Alvarez just has Nebraska fans rolling their eyes.

Latest posts