My favorite part of the Greg Davis presser

Explain to all of us your view as to why you think this would be dumb? Quite frankly you are looking like the idiot right now.

I already have, go back and read it. It's pretty elementary. Moving someone from one position to another doesn't inherently make them better.

Yet, he was in there at TE all season long...right. Same was said of Dallas Clark, btw, but because he was an actual threat...he played. CJF isn't a threat as a receiver/playmaker. That's the flaw.

Reading comprehension fail. I was referring to his freshman year, not his sophomore year. And if you don't think CJF isn't a threat as a receiver, you really have no ******* clue. Just because Vandenberg didn't utilize the TE like Stanzi did doesn't mean that the TE's were all average at best receivers. It means JVB tended to lock on to McNutt.

Clark also had the benefit of lining up next to the best offensive line in school history. His blocking wasn't at as much of a premium as CJF's (or any TE, for that matter) is right now.

I already have, go back and read it. It's pretty elementary. Moving someone from one position to another doesn't inherently make them better.

Their impact can be increased if their measurables create mismatches, and add a different wrinkle to the offense that defenses have to prepare for.

Like I said, history here is established, TE's at Iowa that are threats are utilized, in the TE position. Period. Fall back on claiming his greatness was overshadowed because JVB was busy throwing to McNutt, but history isn't on your side here. Even when Clark was getting berated on a weekly basis about blocking he was still being utilized out of the TE position. Don't pretend we didn't just graduate another great crop of OL to the NFL. The stage was set for CJF to do well last year and him not doing so wasn't an accident. He wasn't ready or he would have been incorporate. God only knows how many times we needed relief opposite McNutt.

His stats were marginal for a reason. He wasn't ready to be a threat.

Like I said, history here is established, TE's at Iowa that are threats are utilized, in the TE position. Period. Fall back on claiming his greatness was overshadowed because JVB was busy throwing to McNutt, but history isn't on your side here. Even when Clark was getting berated on a weekly basis about blocking he was still being utilized out of the TE position. Don't pretend we didn't just graduate another great crop of OL to the NFL. The stage was set for CJF to do well last year and him not doing so wasn't an accident. He wasn't ready or he would have been incorporate. God only knows how many times we needed relief opposite McNutt.His stats were marginal for a reason. He wasn't ready to be a threat.

even tho Clark wasn't great at blocking he might have still been the best blocking tight end on that particular team. CJF was not the beat blocking tight end on last years team and it sounds like that's the reason he didn't see the field much early

one other thing that is funny about this thread. the same people that complain about iowa's offense being to vanilla, too simple, too predictable now attacking it for being too complex......like i said previously - when you think you've heard it all, just log into hn.com....

you're wrong here. implementing more wrinkles into an offense to better suit the players we have definitely makes the offense more complex

umm not that i was in the coaching meetings but i assumed cjf wasn't getting playing time early in the year was because the few times he was out there early in the year he dropped everything thrown his way... as did all of the tight ends we fielded. IMHO not having a go to TE last year was a big part of the offenses problems. If you don't have confidence in a guy your not going to call his number... and your not going to bother checking down to him when you don't feel he's going to make the catch.

People like ******** about the play calling being predictable, but go back and look at the games, between people dropping easy passes and jvb battling nerves most of the road games, we stalled a lot of drives and left a lot of points on the field.

so you think ferentz plays guys that put the team in the best position to lose?

I've now heard it all.

No... but at the risk of stating the painfully obvious...he's demonstrated that he often believes playing "not to lose" is the best way to "win".

And sticking with experience over talent is a prime example of that kind of thinking.

even tho Clark wasn't great at blocking he might have still been the best blocking tight end on that particular team. CJF was not the beat blocking tight end on last years team and it sounds like that's the reason he didn't see the field much early

The reason he didn't see the field was because he was going through the motions. I think KF has been pretty established in his practice of not just giving guys game day time as a right of passage. Play time is earned. I understand fans want to make light of this with various excuses, but it's one thing I admire about Kirk. He makes no exceptions...work hard, and you get your chance.

His lack of blocking may have been part of the issue, but the underlying issue was work ethic. You can't be a threat on the field at Iowa on sheer talent alone, KF doesn't operate that way.

Like I said, hopefully he has sincerely moved past this issue and is poised for a great season. We know he can run and catch...if he hits it hard this off season and in the spring, I think we'll see a productive threat at TE this year.

It's not about moving him to the slot. It's about him moving his butt in practices.

That is not a good comparison at all. We all know that in the NFL, how much a person is making is the the biggest indicator if he will be on the field over whom. That comes down to the will of the owner wanting to see his highest paid investment play.

so you think ferentz plays guys that put the team in the best position to lose? I've now heard it all.
Obviously. And Bill Belichik was wanting to lose when he was playing Bledsoe over Brady. He only got bailed out from injury.

plenty of seniors on the bench too.

how many juniors/seniors were playing on iowa's best teams? plenty. probably a majority.. there is a reason seniors play over other players and generally it is because they are better, stronger, faster, etc. and not just because 'they are a senior'.

They... won't... make... as... many... mistakes....

It took so long for KF to allow Chaney JR. to return punts even though Chaney JR. had the most speed/playmaking ability on the squad because of a rumor he dropped balls (even though there was no evidence of Chaney JR. dropping balls while he returned punts).

EDIT: I'll bet it was KOK who convinced KF to allow Chaney JR. to return punts.

Last edited: