My 2018 W-L Prediction thread

We always lose top players every year. The standard model of development at Iowa predicts that every time. We lost King, Leshun, Kittle, Beathard, Mabin, and others. Many of those are having more than just a bench-warming spot in the NFL. I'm going to assume similar production in general (just not in specific positions).

Northern Illinois --- W
ISU --- W
UNI --- W
Wisconsin --- L
Minnesota --- W
Indiana --- W
Maryland --- W
PSU --- L
Purdue --- W
NW --- W
ILL --- W
Nebraska --- W

So I'm expecting at least 9-3, but probably 10-2 regular season. It's possible we drop one against Maryland or NW, because they're just weird for us always.
I could maybe stretch mine to 7-5 if I tried, but not 10-2. That's way out there.

No, but the Wadley factor can't be overlooked. The offense is going to have to find some new magic to replace his skills. AW bailed us out a lot...a lot.
Agreed he sure did. I think what we'll see is a running game similar to the Jordan Canzeri/Leshun Daniels season with Kelly-Martin and Young. If the passing game can improve (Stanleys pocket presence/completion% and 3rd downs) even a little bit I think they'll be pretty tough. I think having a Brandon Smith take a huge dramatic leap up would do the trick in helping that (one of the receivers sure needs to) Our TEs as good as they are can't do it all.

Agreed he sure did. I think what we'll see is a running game similar to the Jordan Canzeri/Leshun Daniels season with Kelly-Martin and Young. If the passing game can improve (Stanleys pocket presence/completion% and 3rd downs) even a little bit I think they'll be pretty tough. I think having a Brandon Smith take a huge dramatic leap up would do the trick in helping that (one of the receivers sure needs to) Our TEs as good as they are can't do it all.

If our passing game (and receivers) grow this could be a solid formula. Hard to forgot those AW highlight (ISU game for example) where we probably wouldn't have won without him.

If we only win 6 next year, this board will explode.

Does BF survive another 6-6 season? Does FKF?

KF is very safe. His contract assures he isn’t going anywhere unless something crazy happens. The only scenario I can see getting him in trouble is Kinnick paid attendance starts dipping below 50,000 for an entire season. That would get some attention

We all know losses are unacceptable. There were hundreds of failures this year and only one winner. It is undefeated or bust. That is what everyone secretly believes as we saw last season. Anything short of undefeated is a failure if it is complete fantasy and wishful thinking. Like playing the lottery someone has to win so why not throw down that $100 bill and get some tickets. And another thing we learned last season, it doesn't matter if you just walked off a high school field last fall, if you step on the field at Kinnick you have to be perfect and play like an NFL 10 time all Pro from snap 1 til you walk off or are carted off that field. Just so those guys know the real rules around here on forum board fantasy land.

Maybe Barta goes after this debacle of a basketball season and we take a step back in football.

Things could get real interesting if Barta goes.

If our passing game (and receivers) grow this could be a solid formula. Hard to forgot those AW highlight (ISU game for example) where we probably wouldn't have won without him.
Yeah it'd be a pleasant surprise to have two 1k backs again. But again Wadley is special and that'd be a lot to ask he averaged 6 yards per carry that yr. So I could see one of next yrs guys inching over 1k with the other around 700ish with a 3rd back having some touches too. There's going to be more put on Stanleys plate next yr. I think it'll be fun he should only get better.

You all are smoking crack if you think ISU beats Iowa next season in Kinnick. Campbell had some success this year with Rhoade's recruits, he loses a lot next year, and there has not been an uptick in their recruiting (ranked 58th in 24/7 Sports, Iowa: 33). I predict not only a win, but a blow-out, ala 2016.

You all are smoking crack if you think ISU beats Iowa next season in Kinnick. Campbell had some success this year with Rhoade's recruits, he loses a lot next year, and there has not been an uptick in their recruiting (ranked 58th in 24/7 Sports, Iowa: 33). I predict not only a win, but a blow-out, ala 2016.
I mean, worse ISU teams have won in Kinnick, so don't take it to the bank. But, yes, I don't see us losing to a fresh-faced ISU team at home, early in the season.

As for me, anything under 8-4 = bad, 8-4 = meh, 9-3 and up = success.

High probability of win= NIU, ISU, UNI, Maryland, at Illinois

Any one of these would be a bad loss IMO.

Should win= at Minny, at Indiana, Nebraska

I'd be more confident against Minny if it were at home, but they're also breaking in another QB. Indiana usually gives our defense fits, and have been on a recent upswing (for them), and Frost has a pretty big rebuilding job, coupled with a likely night or late afternoon game at Kinnick. History says we drop one of these, though I couldn't say who at this point.

Toss-ups= Northwestern, at Purdue

NW should be no surprise, though they may have trouble if Thorson doesn't heal fast enough. Purdue showed down the stretch they were one of the most improved teams in the country, but how does Brohm build on that after losing a lot of last year's team?

Should lose= Wisconsin, at Penn State

Wisconsin is the team to beat for the West, at Happy Valley at night scares the shit out of me. BUT, history also says we steal one of these, and my money is on Wisconsin, since #KinnickatNight is pretty fearsome itself.

I also reserve the right to revise as we gain news through the offseason, then throw it all out the window and predict 12-0 once the late preseason hype and koolaid starts to take hold.

No, but the Wadley factor can't be overlooked. The offense is going to have to find some new magic to replace his skills. AW bailed us out a lot...a lot.

Wadley really bailed us out catching passes, like against ISU, Penn ST which was almost a game winner, some other early games to get the offense started, etc.

We dont know if Young and IKM can catch the ball because again they didnt get the chance in any games last year.

Wadley really bailed us out catching passes, like against ISU, Penn ST which was almost a game winner, some other early games to get the offense started, etc.

We dont know if Young and IKM can catch the ball because again they didnt get the chance in any games last year.

Hopefully IKM can. I just think this kid is going to be a stud. Young will be a nice counter, and it will interesting to see what Bryan can do as there will be pt available. Really like Geil's tape too. We have nice stable of young backs.

Marvin McNutt when he quit being a QB
Yeah, not bad. Not really the same thing though since we didn't have a wr baseline by which to measure a "dramatic leap" in 2009.

But, if that's the most recent example, it's been 8 years. Maybe they're due?