My 2017 Iowa Football Prediction

There is a long history of teams doing well nationally, without wide receivers...unfortunately, it was in the 20s and 30s...

Hopefully...we will end up 6-6 and play someone in a bowl that won't make us a national "road kill" punchline.

I'll take a stab at the 1 to 10 confidence system
  • Wyoming
    • QB questions for Iowa in a stark comparison but they loose to much so this one is a 6.
  • ISU
    • More of a game then last year so this one is going to be a 7
  • North Texas
    • No such thing as a lock but this is as close as you can get so a 9
  • Penn
    • Hawks show up but "pass completed by Trace McSorely" will be heard to many times echoing in Kinnick so this is a 4
  • MSU
    • Hard fought game and Iowa gets it's revenge for the CCG loss in 2015 therefore a 6
  • IL
    • Line play wins games and Iowa's lines are superior - a 7
  • NW
    • I think this could go either way. One team will walk a way with it but which one? 5
  • MN
    • Going to be tuff but this is a grudge match w/ hardware on the line. Floyd stays in IAC - a 6
  • tOSU
    • I hate Urban Meyer but maybe we see an upset... Most likely not so a 3
  • Whisky
    • The bull stays in Madison, but just barely. Hard fought game as usual. I see a 4
  • Purdue
    • Not a total walk in the park but line play wins another one for the Hawkeyes. Giving this a 7
  • Nebraska
    • Riley's days are going to be numbered if the Hawks pull off a third in a row in Lincoln. I like Iowa in this contest so a 6 as this will be no cakewalk.
That's a 70 out of 120 for 8 wins. Using this 10 point confidence methodology the one toss up I see, NW, would be a loss, probably on pick late in the game by a somewhat inexperienced Hawkeye QB.

I'm slughtly more optimistic but I would put the Iowa State game at a 6 and Penn St at home at a 4.

Maybe increase at NW and at Nebby from 4 to 5. I would probably lower at Wiscy from a 4 to 3.

7-5 would is my worst case. I think 8-4 more likely with a possibility of 9 wins

I'm slightly more optimistic as well. For this reason. The QB position will be a strength when its all said and done. We'll see a good enough passing game and by Sept 15 we'll forget all about the 'bad passing game'.

I think Iowa could be 50/50 or better against everyone except OSU and PSU.

I'll go out on a limb and predict 7 wins. who knows maybe 8. Call it 7.5.

what will make a difference for the fans is this.

1) Big plays and excitement on offense
2) Respectable outings against the good teams
3) A nice win in the bowl (Music City, foster farms, Pin Stripe or Detroit)

I can see where you're coming from with ISU. I know this isn't going to happen, but I'd really like to see Parker send the blitz on ISU's first obvious passing situation.

Why KFz hasn't come out and kicked them directly in the nads, over and over again... is beyond me.

Given the schedule I wouldn't beach about losing to PSU, Ohio St, Wisconsin and Nebraska. That's 8-4. Throw in one upset and a loss to somebody else and 8-4 should be realistic.

But knowing Fleck's approach he'll have his guys fired up and catch Kirk punching the clock (the familiar ISU formula). Northwestern is on the road but 7 games into the season we should have matured enough to beat them, MIchigan St should be pizzed after last year so who knows what'll happen in East Lansing. 6-6 wouldn't be good...but I could easily see it happening.

Lose one of the first 3 and it's 2014 all over again.

Last edited:
I don't think we can overstate the issues our offense could have at qb/wr...and then by extension, rb. Man, we're gonna see 11 in the box all season. New qb, new WR's. I could see 4 wins.

What if the offense is a steaming pile.... for 12 weeks straight. Anyone think this would derail BF's career path?

I'll take a stab at the 1 to 10 confidence system
  • Wyoming
    • QB questions for Iowa in a stark comparison but they loose to much so this one is a 6.
  • ISU
    • More of a game then last year so this one is going to be a 7
  • North Texas
    • No such thing as a lock but this is as close as you can get so a 9
  • Penn
    • Hawks show up but "pass completed by Trace McSorely" will be heard to many times echoing in Kinnick so this is a 4
  • MSU
    • Hard fought game and Iowa gets it's revenge for the CCG loss in 2015 therefore a 6
  • IL
    • Line play wins games and Iowa's lines are superior - a 7
  • NW
    • I think this could go either way. One team will walk a way with it but which one? 5
  • MN
    • Going to be tuff but this is a grudge match w/ hardware on the line. Floyd stays in IAC - a 6
  • tOSU
    • I hate Urban Meyer but maybe we see an upset... Most likely not so a 3
  • Whisky
    • The bull stays in Madison, but just barely. Hard fought game as usual. I see a 4
  • Purdue
    • Not a total walk in the park but line play wins another one for the Hawkeyes. Giving this a 7
  • Nebraska
    • Riley's days are going to be numbered if the Hawks pull off a third in a row in Lincoln. I like Iowa in this contest so a 6 as this will be no cakewalk.
That's a 70 out of 120 for 8 wins. Using this 10 point confidence methodology the one toss up I see, NW, would be a loss, probably on pick late in the game by a somewhat inexperienced Hawkeye QB.

Everybody is free to use their own formula, but typically, If you are using a 10-point scale, then divide by 10 to get the final win total. So 70 points out of 120 means 7 wins.

Some other examples. 120 points equals 12 wins. 65 points equals 6.5 wins.

We beat ISU. We are strong in the trenches, they are not.

golf9er, I think we'll be soft up the middle on D for at least the first few games. NB coming back from injury and then new dudes at the DT spot. I will say that I think Iowa will be playing better at the end of the season. but, I am highly concerned with our qb/wr positions. qb has talent, but inexperienced. wr is all inexperienced, except MVB, but he's coming off a broken foot he's broken in the same place within 6 months.

Latest posts