My 2 cents

Great rant.. I have a couple questions One why does everyone think that Chris Murray should go to the NBA. Money and he'll go. But through the season I didn't really see him totally take over games against good teams mediocre team Yes But I think he should stay another year help the team become a better player increase stock. Because he'll just be A G league player. I hope he gets some good advice.. 2nd question everyone wants to get rid of fran but do you really want barta To pick another coach I don't think he has 5 names in his desk that he can go to or For some coach who wants to come to Iowa. Remember he hired Todd licklighter, enough said.. That's my rant..
There's a few reasons Kris should go. He'll be 23 next yr. They'll be guys in the NBA starting their 2nd contracts the same age. He'll be a mid-late 1st rd pick. That's a whole lotta guaranteed generational wealth $$. Could his game benefit from staying? Maybe yeah. But the Gleague allows teams to draft a guy and develop them that way too. I don't think by staying he'd raise his stock up to being a top 5 pick like Keegan was. To do that while not making millions seems pretty risky. I'm in the camp that he should go.

As far as getting rid of Fran I've seen some chatter of that but I don't think there's an overwhelming calling for it. I agree that I'm not a fan of Barta either. I hope he doesn't make the next hires in football or hoops. I think a lot of fans are always just of the mindset the grass is always greener. Things aren't all that bad here honestly.

There's a few reasons Kris should go. He'll be 23 next yr. They'll be guys in the NBA starting their 2nd contracts the same age. He'll be a mid-late 1st rd pick. That's a whole lotta guaranteed generational wealth $$. Could his game benefit from staying? Maybe yeah. But the Gleague allows teams to draft a guy and develop them that way too. I don't think by staying he'd raise his stock up to being a top 5 pick like Keegan was. To do that while not making millions seems pretty risky. I'm in the camp that he should go.

As far as getting rid of Fran I've seen some chatter of that but I don't think there's an overwhelming calling for it. I agree that I'm not a fan of Barta either. I hope he doesn't make the next hires in football or hoops. I think a lot of fans are always just of the mindset the grass is always greener. Things aren't all that bad here honestly.
The one downside to leaving is it would take a few years to get a huge contract if he ends up being 2 years behind Keegan's trajectory. If he somehow ends up good enough to be top 5 pick worthy a year from now, he'd be way better off spending that year in college and being a top 5 pick than he would leaving now and being a late 1st rounder. That decision could cost him tens of millions. Staying another year and being wrong probably wouldn't cost him much money at all, baring a big injury.

That said, I don't think there's any way he has that type of ceiling so he might as well start his Cook/Marble type career.

The one downside to leaving is it would take a few years to get a huge contract if he ends up being 2 years behind Keegan's trajectory. If he somehow ends up good enough to be top 5 pick worthy a year from now, he'd be way better off spending that year in college and being a top 5 pick than he would leaving now and being a late 1st rounder. That decision could cost him tens of millions. Staying another year and being wrong probably wouldn't cost him much money at all, baring a big injury.

That said, I don't think there's any way he has that type of ceiling so he might as well start his Cook/Marble type career.
If he was 20 or even 21 maybe I'd say that's a risk worth taking. But all of that combined to me just says it's time to go and get his NBA clock started. The big big $ is always that 2nd contract and he can't get to that till he gets started. And since it looks like he'll be a 1st rounder and not a 2nd rounder it makes sense to go. It's hard telling what his ceiling is. I don't think it's what Keegans is. If he can be a catch and shoot 3 pt shooter there's plenty of value in that

Murray isn't coming back, he's ready for the NBA, he's going to stay in the 1st round and has nothing left to accomplish or prove at Iowa.

Anyone who says he's not good enough for the NBA, needs to come back or isn't good enough is wrong. How do I know that? Because he's in every mock draft's top 20 players. So, now you're going to tell me you know better than every person who creates mock drafts. Then you're going to have to convince me that you know more than NBA scouts, who likely are the main catalyst driving these projections.

spoiler: you're not going to convince me and no one on this board is qualified beyond giving their opinion (one that isn't weighted nearly as high as NBA scouts).

Anyone who says he's not good enough for the NBA, needs to come back or isn't good enough is wrong.
Even if he weren't good enough (which I'm not saying is the case), 24 years old is ancient as rookies go and there's no way waiting that long would benefit him.

Murray isn't coming back, he's ready for the NBA, he's going to stay in the 1st round and has nothing left to accomplish or prove at Iowa.

Anyone who says he's not good enough for the NBA, needs to come back or isn't good enough is wrong. How do I know that? Because he's in every mock draft's top 20 players. So, now you're going to tell me you know better than every person who creates mock drafts. Then you're going to have to convince me that you know more than NBA scouts, who likely are the main catalyst driving these projections.

spoiler: you're not going to convince me and no one on this board is qualified beyond giving their opinion (one that isn't weighted nearly as high as NBA scouts).
No no no. He is not good enough to play in the NBA or even to be drafted because Iowa lost in the first round of the tourney and he did not play very well and he didn't look all that good to a lot of people. That is enough hard data right there. We don't need to examine that his twin brother was the 4th overall pick last year and is having an outstanding rookie season. We don't need to look at the fact that he and his brother have very similar statistics when comparing Keegan from last year to Kris this year. We don't need to take into account that Keegan had the benefit of Iowa's all-time 3 point shooting leader on the floor, plus his talented twin brother coming off the bench, to take some of the pressure and D off of him last season. We don't need to see what nearly every expert is predicting, which is that he is highly likely to get drafted in the first round and an absolute lock to be drafted at some point. Those things can and should be ignored. We as Iowa fans saw Iowa lose and Kris play not as great as we wanted in one game and that is enough to declare him NOT an NBA player. Period. Done.

Nobody takes over a game without a support cast. He's better than ya'll think. Wonder how many none 1st rounders average +20 per game and 7 boards?
Overall, the talent simply isn't there for Iowa. Fran has a nice system and we seem to do reasonably well in the Big Ten, but the talent and athleticism to compete nationally is missing. And I don't really think it will improve any time during the remaining Fran tenure. His two sons are not great athletes and certainly are not great shooters.

Hard to tell how good Murray is going to be....his supporting cast was pretty weak this year. If you watched carefully, during the latter half of this season he was getting double teamed a lot by the opposition.

I think Kris is easily the worst 1st team conference player in the Fran era. I fully concede I know less about it than the people who make the decisions. But watching every game of every season tells me Marble, White ,Uthoff, Jok, and Garza were all better college players. I also know that the NBA drafts on potential and the twin brother of Keegan Murray has a shit ton of potential. I'm rooting hard for him. Hopefully he's a really late bloomer. Some people are.

I think Kris is easily the worst 1st team conference player in the Fran era. I fully concede I know less about it than the people who make the decisions. But watching every game of every season tells me Marble, White ,Uthoff, Jok, and Garza were all better college players. I also know that the NBA drafts on potential and the twin brother of Keegan Murray has a shit ton of potential. I'm rooting hard for him. Hopefully he's a really late bloomer. Some people are.
Interesting debate Q of sorts... Pick a top 5 of Marble White Uthoff Jok Garza Joe W, Keegan & Kris...

I'd go Garza, Keegan, White, Uthoff, Jok, with Marble and Kris on the outside looking in. I'm going off all those guys at their best. Obviously Uthoff was a different dude his senior yr compared to his soph yr drastically so as were most of them.

Crap I left off Tyler Cook he's cashing checks in G league too. I always felt like he left some meat on the bone with his career. Maybe it was because Garza was there too I dunno. But I felt like he didn't reach his ceiling at Iowa. I'd put him between Jok and Joe W I suppose. He doesn't make my top 5

Last edited:
He is clearly a late bloomer. Neither twin had a notable offer out of high school and Kris will be older than half the league when he gets drafted, which he will.

As to whether he is the "worst 1st team conference player in the Fran era" that has so many layers. First, it speaks to the success Fran has brought to this team. Its been a long time since there has been this sort of run when it comes to 1st team all conference for Iowa, and most of these kids were not exactly hot prospects out of high school. Second, whether it is true or not, I do agree his supporting cast was not as strong as others on the list. Finally, whether true or not, it has nothing to do with whether he will be drafted or a success in the NBA. College success and NBA success seem connected in a very attenuated way these days.

Kris is projected as a #21 in an NBC Mock Draft

Kris Murray is showcasing a lot of the skills that made his twin brother Keegan a top-five pick just a year ago. He's a natural scorer who will be a positional mismatch with his 6-foot-8 length. Most teams should be able to plug him in right away. - TB

1679427258286.png

In all if not most of the Mock Drafts Kris is picked Number 18-21 in all of them

He Should Definitely Should Go

Entirely too much $ offered, to come back and perhaps have a lackluster year {However Unlikely} or suffer an injury which might have an effect on his status

Interesting debate Q of sorts... Pick a top 5 of Marble White Uthoff Jok Garza Joe W, Keegan & Kris...

I'd go Garza, Keegan, White, Uthoff, Jok, with Marble and Kris on the outside looking in. I'm going off all those guys at their best. Obviously Uthoff was a different dude his senior yr compared to his soph yr drastically so as were most of them.

Crap I left off Tyler Cook he's cashing checks in G league too. I always felt like he left some meat on the bone with his career. Maybe it was because Garza was there too I dunno. But I felt like he didn't reach his ceiling at Iowa. I'd put him between Jok and Joe W I suppose. He doesn't make my top 5
To be fair to Kris, he is probably better than Marble, White, Uthoff, and Jok were their junior years. They all took big jumps in their last year. We won't be able to see that jump from Kris. Wieskamp could have possibly been a 1st teamer his senior year too.

To be fair to Kris, he is probably better than Marble, White, Uthoff, and Jok were their junior years. They all took big jumps in their last year. We won't be able to see that jump from Kris. Wieskamp could have possibly been a 1st teamer his senior year too.
It's relative though Kris is probably older now then they were then. Remember he had that prep yr.

Kris is projected as a #21 in an NBC Mock Draft

Kris Murray is showcasing a lot of the skills that made his twin brother Keegan a top-five pick just a year ago. He's a natural scorer who will be a positional mismatch with his 6-foot-8 length. Most teams should be able to plug him in right away. - TB

View attachment 9990

In all if not most of the Mock Drafts Kris is picked Number 18-21 in all of them

He Should Definitely Should Go

Entirely too much $ offered, to come back and perhaps have a lackluster year {However Unlikely} or suffer an injury which might have an effect on his status
It would be interesting to know what he's making in NIL this yr. Is he making $200k? Maybe I'm way off I'm just talking out my ass with that guess. I know he's got a few things going on along with whatever the SWARM hooks them up with. Does anyone really know what that they knock down? Regardless of whatever it is it's not millions of dollars plural so it isn't going to incentivize one to come back if you're a 1st rounder. There's just no way.

Unless he was really gung ho about graduating and getting his degree but even then he can come back for it later. I haven't a clue what his major is but I'm assuming he was majoring in basketball and how to handle large amounts of $ cause that'll be his life the next 12-15 yrs I hope.

Kris looked tired at the end of this season. I go back to all the minutes he was logging when Perkins was out and Pat took his leave. I think there were some games he pretty much played entire games, at least 38 minutes. He might to well in the NBA with less minutes and the D not keying on him as much. I think he could be productive and fill a need for a team.

Latest posts