My 2 cents from the PTLtonight

Would love to be arguing about who is better in this class, Basabe or Marble, when they are seniors :)

As for defense, most Juco players get to the college level lacking a lot on defense. But its not like that can't be taught, or at least an acceptable level.

Most JUCO players get to JUCO having been coached in High School. Hub admitted that he wasn't coachable and therefore didn't play in high school.

People need to realize that Hub is a very special case in more than just his personal background. Just no fitting comparison.

Rip Van Bawinkle 2.0.

Haha...doubtful CAAR. There is a difference between a senior who cant play a lick of defense, and has zero 2 point FG attempts and 0 free throw attempts for the season and Oglesby. Oglesby is a Top 150 player that had several other high major offers.

Honestly, what are you expecting out of a true freshman?

To be fair, I've seen CAAR's explanation for Bawinkle 2.0. "2.0" would mean BETTER. Oglesby will hopefully not be as streaky as Devan, and can play better defense. He's also a good passer by all accounts.

Oglesby is a better player who will play a similar role as Bawinkle did. He will just do it better.

Um, you do realize Bawinkle had offers from Georgetown and Depaul and was one of the top players in Illinois when he signed with West Virginia, right? Both are three stars.

I am just saying, if Jon says he is a spot up shooter that isn't going to take his man off the dribble, that is the same style of play as Bawinkle. Do you have a reasonable counter to that?

That being said, don't you think this team could use a player like that? The problem with Bawinkle is that Iowa didn't have the other guys to complement his ability.

Last edited:
Um, you do realize Bawinkle had offers from Georgetown and Depaul and was one of the top players in Illinois when he signed with West Virginia, right? Both are three stars.

I am just saying, if Jon says he is a spot up shooter that isn't going to take his man off the dribble, that is the same style of play as Bawinkle. Do you have a reasonable counter to that?

That being said, don't you think this team could use a player like that? The problem with Bawinkle is that Iowa didn't have the other guys to complement his ability.

Have you seen Oglesby play? If Bawinkle didnt get a 3 off there was no chance of him doing anything else.

Oglesby is a decent ball handler that can drive and finish or distribute if he beats his man. Not saying that he can penetrate at will in the Big Ten, but he will be able to make some plays.

Most JUCO players get to JUCO having been coached in High School. Hub admitted that he wasn't coachable and therefore didn't play in high school.

People need to realize that Hub is a very special case in more than just his personal background. Just no fitting comparison.

Hubbard is just struggling on D because he has no Iowa teammates on his PTL team! Do you guys not realize how uncomfortable he must feel in this league?

I just notice that most of the current players had pretty good nights scoring while most of the newcomers aren't doing much, at least statistically. Just goes to show that we can get caught up in expecting big things from freshmen and and Juco transfers from all the hype but that they're mostly going to be role players when they start playing with the big boys on the current team (with the exception of Hubbard probably).

Course, I realize it's just one game from pick up basketball so things could change.

Josh is more athletic than Bawinkle, who was a liability in a few areas. I'd like to let the kid play one season of Big Ten basketball before I cast his lot. You are making a broad assumption.

It is great that people are actually excited about Hawkeye basketball in June but we must remember that PTL is just glorified open gym, Josh is going thru what Marble experienced last summer, Hubbard will learn just like Cartwright did, very few high school seniors are ready to dominate college players unless they are top 25 talent, Woodbury and Gessel will go thru the same growing pains, I would bet if you asked Fran about PTL he would tell you it is hard to watch and hopefully no one gets hurt. Other than drawing interest to the program the players do not get a lot of it but some loose scrimmaging. Baasbe will be a beast if matures physically and more importantly mentally!

Josh O will hopefully fill Gatens role next season, stretch the defense and open the lanes, He is much more athletic and all around player than Bawinkle

This is great, we already have the Hubbard haters and lovers/oppologists identified, and it looks like we will be there on Oglseby in short order.

It's only one example, but in one of the PTL highlight videos I saw Josh hit a baseline fadeaway jumper that IMO would be beyond Baewinkle's athletic capability.

I'll say this about Josh O having watched him a few times in HS and AAU ball. He won't be B1G pg quick, but he is athletic and a fantastic ball handler. It won't surprise me if he's the best passer on the team this year, he's accurate, on-time and very quick with his passes and will have quite a few unbelievable "did you see that?" kind of assists. He won't break down every defender off the bounce, but should be able to create some shots for himself. And lastly, should be the best outside shooter on the team.

He isn't going to have the skills of a starting level B1G pg (which some seem to expect for some reason), but he will be much more than just a shooter.

I'll bookmark this page and we can look back periodically. I have a feeling people have downgraded Devan over the years and I think people might be upgrading Josh a bit. I just have a feeling they are much closer than people conceive, but we'll see.

I'll bookmark this page and we can look back periodically. I have a feeling people have downgraded Devan over the years and I think people might be upgrading Josh a bit. I just have a feeling they are much closer than people conceive, but we'll see.

Sounds good. FYI here are Bawinkel's numbers from his senior year:

3.1 PPG, 0.9 RPG, 0.4 APG 38.1 FG%, 38.1 3 PT FG% while playing 15.1 minutes per game.

My guess is that Oglesby will exceed those numbers as a true freshman while playing about 1/2 or 2/3 of the minutes Balwinkel got.

This year it might be hard for Josh to get minutes because Matt is going to be playing as much as possible. Might be we get a better idea next year.

This is called player development and something that has been missing in Iowa hoops for more seasons than I care to remember. Unless you are one of the elite programs, you need to bring in freshman to play limited roles / minutes behind more seasoned players. Sure everybody wants the Harrison Barnes or in our world, maybe a Jake Kelly, to come along and exceed expectations as a true freshman, but that isn't likely. We saw last year's freshman develop throughout the season and experience highs and lows/

How can you downgrade a player who averaged 3pts and less than 1 rebound and 1 assist? Not to mention the guys was a pretty terrible defender. No doubt in my mind Josh eclipses those very sad numbers his soph year, if not this year. I can understand heavy drinking through Lackluster years, but you must have really been puttin' em back if you thought Bawinkle did anything for the Iowa basketball program.

Latest posts