Must win tonight?

WindyCityHawkI

If the Hawks want to make the tourney, they really need to knock off a few ranked teams at home because it's obvious road wins of any kind, especially against the ranked teams in the conference will be very difficult. The only games we have a chance to do that are MSU/MN/IL at home, so it would be huge to get a win tonight and then a split with MN/IL would be nice.

Was thinking about this very question last night.
Iowa still doesn't have a big win. This is one they could get. While I don't believe in the "must win game" theory, other than at the end of the season, this would be a very beneficial win.
So I won't call it "must win." But damn, we need this game!

Kind of.

If they want the "easiest" road to the tourney they need to win tonight.

There are scenarios, it just would involve winning at OSU or IU or beating Minnesota.

I don't think they do either of those. I go back to picking NIT if they lose tonight but than again, I never expected a Wisconsin sweep last year and I think OSU is vulnerable.

My prediction of Iowa and NCAA tourney has hinged on beating Indiana at home, or tonight.
It is going to be too tough to win on the road to overcome not getting a good win.
OSU is vulnerable, we will find out more about them Sunday.

My prediction of Iowa and NCAA tourney has hinged on beating Indiana at home, or tonight.
It is going to be too tough to win on the road to overcome not getting a good win.
OSU is vulnerable, we will find out more about them Sunday.

I agree. Letting that Indiana opportunity slip away put this into the must win category.

It's certainly not a "must win." We can lose this game, finish 10-5, and still make the dance.

But, it will be very tough sledding indeed if we don't get this one.

By the way, people are behaving that the sky is falling. Did we not all see this coming? I personally had the first three Big Ten games down as losses. In fact, we're two wins ahead of where I thought we'd be at this stage.

Guys we need GoHawkz to decide on this. He's the offical Hawkeyenation voice on what is or is not a must win NCAA elimination game.

GoHawkz, plz respond.

Step one build a foundation.
Step two build depth.
Step three establish dominance at home.
Step four consistently challenge good teams on the road.

This team is working on step three.

Still a lot of tickets available from the ticket office.

A little disappointing not being able to sell the game out. 6 p.m. is a perfect time slot.
Last I knew, over 1500 adult tickets still available. That doesn't include the 3,000 empty seats in the student section.

We only have 3 ranked teams left on our home schedule,and Illinois might be unranked by the time they come to town. We let the IU game slip away,and I do not like our chances vs Minny. So,yes, tonite we must find a way to win,or start praying for a miracle.

Latest posts