Murray, Gettis and Prater to Miss EIU game

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Three University of Iowa football players have been declared out of Saturday’s season opener, against Eastern Illinois, for medical reasons. All three were potential starters in the 11 a.m. kickoff at Kinnick Stadium. The announcement came today from Head Coach Kirk Ferentz
Junior offensive guard Adam Gettis, junior defensive back Shaun Prater and senior placekicker Daniel Murray will not be able to participate because of injuries.

Hopefully Prater can recover from the Hamstring injury......we know from Trey Stross that those things can linger.

I guess we won't be showing ISU anything on film this week.

my guess is that the start of this season will be no different than the start of any other season under the current staff. not to be critical of your statement, but i doubt the gameplan that iowa has for game #1 has nothing to do with showing ISU stuff on film. they know what iowa runs from the past 10 years of film.

Along with suspensions for Hampton and Binns, that makes 5 starters not available.
Probably get by ok this game,but hate that we cannot establish continuity right from game 1 with all hands on deck. Feel especially bad for Gettis,who had a great summer camp.

Call me Debbie Downer but with all these guys out and after last year's near season opening disaster, this EIU game makes me a little on edge. I can see EIU hanging around and Iowa winning close. Not as close as last year but a 7-14 point victory wouldn't surprise me. We all know that if Iowa gets up big, O'Keefe and Ferentz wil call off the dogs to make it respectable and as usual keep the opponent in the game.

Iowa can't afford that this year if they want people to believe they CAN compete with the best. Every little thing will get critized this season so ISU fans and media can find anything to prove Iowa isn't legit.

i cant' remember a season where we opened up our 1st game with all of our starters healthy and ready to go......
John or anyone who may have any "inside scoop, etc) know if these guys will be ready for week 2 or 3?!? last i recall, sounds like Gettis was being held out for "cautionary" purposes, completely sounds good to me...same thing with Prater--- much rather have them sit out to play it safe and be ready to go for ISU and not risk re-injury!

Call me Debbie Downer but with all these guys out and after last year's near season opening disaster, this EIU game makes me a little on edge. I can see EIU hanging around and Iowa winning close. Not as close as last year but a 7-14 point victory wouldn't surprise me. We all know that if Iowa gets up big, O'Keefe and Ferentz wil call off the dogs to make it respectable and as usual keep the opponent in the game.

Iowa can't afford that this year if they want people to believe they CAN compete with the best. Every little thing will get critized this season so ISU fans and media can find anything to prove Iowa isn't legit.
Are you serious or are you saying this with a "wink,wink"? It will be a 50 point rout.

Agreed about KF and crew laying off the gas pedal and keeping it close, but as far as being "concerned" about this game, not at all---- frankly, i believe we should be able to play off our 2s agaisnt their 1s and still be them by 14-17--- isn't EIU supposed to be really bad this year? plus they have a chunk of their own injury's along with starter's suspended (sound familar? LOL)

Not having Gettis and Prater for ISU ready-- yeah i'd be a little bit nervous but we get binns and hampton back....

Iowa has a strong back to pick up for the loss of Hampton.
Iowa has guys with good experience to step in at corner.
Iowa has an abundance of good D-linemen to make up for Binns being gone.
Iowa has a battle at kicker where it hadn't been determined who will be the starter, so we have Mossbrucker to step in there and reportedly Meyer was going to be the kickoff guy not matter what.

The only position where we might be shaky is O-line and the guy stepping in is stepping in for a guy who only had one unimpressive start at the position.

Things have been way worse in the past.

Ryno:

Last year was a totally different scenario. We had young guys that hadn't been in the program long and hadn't played before stepping into key roles for injured players. This year we have guys who have been in the program for a while to plug those holes.

We were saying the exact same thing last year! How that turn out? We CAN'T do that again. Until they win comfortably, I'm worried.

Last year we played an in-state school with in-state players, that has performed very well recently if you have followed them. It was almost a rivarly-type game. This game is nothing like that, and they have the results from last year to keep the team on their toes for this game. Expect a game similar to OSU-Marshall last night.

Plus, I wasnt at the game last year, and will be there this year. So they better play better.

Last edited:

Latest posts