Murray and Patrick

Iceman

Both need more minutes, and Connor fewer. Last two games team played better when CM sat and Murray or PM came in. Connor can't shoot, and his man just doubles Garza.

I'm telling you...next year is going to be pretty fun to watch too. You likely have a starting lineup of Weiskamp, Federick, Connor, Murray and Nunge, with Toussaint, Patrick, Ulis, the other Murray coming off the bench. I hate to say it but Connor may be passed by...it's just whether the Iowa coaches are honest with themselves. You can get alot of length out of those lineups.

Connor has to prove he can make teams pay if they double Garza. He has to shoot it and if he's not hitting it...he has to sit. I think he can shoot 35-40% from three...he needs to believe it.

I love what Connor brings to the floor and so I want him on the court as many minutes as possible. He can guard 1-4, is our best facilitator (especially post feeds), and brings some serious toughness and composure as an added bonus.

Like anyone else with functioning eyesight (or a radio and a good imagination), I've been very impressed with Murray. We got ourselves a steal there. He'd be a starter in many (maybe most) other seasons, but on this team he's squeezing in where he can. I'll gladly take the "more talent than minutes" problem because I've watched a lot of Iowa teams with the opposite problem.

Patrick has a lot of upside, but I think he's a bit raw yet. His minutes seem about right to me.

I'm not willing to swap Connor for either guy. There is more to basketball than scoring. Our starting 5 is already very long on scoring with Garza, Wieskamp, Fredrick, and Bohannon all being 20 ppg candidates if we made any one of them the focal point of the offense. Let Keegan and Patrick continue to provide a spark off the bench - that is extremely important in basketball (how many teams have you watched in your life have consistently gone dead offensively when the starters are out? For me, it's more than I care to count).

I have a radical idea...let the coaches decide who plays and how much. Look. I know we are all entitled to our opinions. This just happens to be mine.
Well...thus far, letting the coaches decide can't get us out of the first round in the B10 tourney or past the first weekend in the NCAA tourney. I really think it's time the fans got input. LOL.

Geezus, some don't understand there is more to basketball than JUST scoring. Connor brings a certain talent and what he does best is take care of the ball and assists. Iowa needs his ball handling. It can't be just Joe T. I realize Bohannon can run the point, but they are trying to get him to succeed at the #2 spot if his shot gets consistent.

The only legit point made by the OP is that without him hitting shots, they double down on Garza more. I can agree to that.

Connor is a glue guy that has a toughness about him. He has a role.

I love what Connor brings to the floor and so I want him on the court as many minutes as possible. He can guard 1-4, is our best facilitator (especially post feeds), and brings some serious toughness and composure as an added bonus.

Like anyone else with functioning eyesight (or a radio and a good imagination), I've been very impressed with Murray. We got ourselves a steal there. He'd be a starter in many (maybe most) other seasons, but on this team he's squeezing in where he can. I'll gladly take the "more talent than minutes" problem because I've watched a lot of Iowa teams with the opposite problem.

Patrick has a lot of upside, but I think he's a bit raw yet. His minutes seem about right to me.

I'm not willing to swap Connor for either guy. There is more to basketball than scoring. Our starting 5 is already very long on scoring with Garza, Wieskamp, Fredrick, and Bohannon all being 20 ppg candidates if we made any one of them the focal point of the offense. Let Keegan and Patrick continue to provide a spark off the bench - that is extremely important in basketball (how many teams have you watched in your life have consistently gone dead offensively when the starters are out? For me, it's more than I care to count).
As has been said before, many times when Connor feeds Luka in the post, the double comes and there isn't a big threat of kicking it back out to Connor for a wide open three. I'm surprised that they don't have Connor cut to the basket more often instead - a quick give and go for an easy layup more often. Easier said than done but they have to at least come up with a reason for Connor's man to make him stay put. Anyone else think this would work or am I crazy?

As has been said before, many times when Connor feeds Luka in the post, the double comes and there isn't a big threat of kicking it back out to Connor for a wide open three. I'm surprised that they don't have Connor cut to the basket more often instead - a quick give and go for an easy layup more often. Easier said than done but they have to at least come up with a reason for Connor's man to make him stay put. Anyone else think this would work or am I crazy?
The problem is the defense does not worry about Connor shooting a 3 pointer so I don't think that cut would be there. If only he would nail a few 3's to force the defense out to defend him, it would free up Garza more and that cut play you are suggesting would work.

Here's what I think, with PMac, Keegan, Nunge, Ogundele, and I'll throw in Kris Murray, for the next several years our front court is in great shape!

The funny thing about CMac's shooting is that he's such a good free throw shooter, money at the end of a game for the most part, it seems like that should translate to better shooting from the field. And, I wish he drove a bit more which would send him to the line.

And, with JBo gone next year, it's going to be hard to keep Joe T and Ulis off the floor.

The problem is the defense does not worry about Connor shooting a 3 pointer so I don't think that cut would be there. If only he would nail a few 3's to force the defense out to defend him, it would free up Garza more and that cut play you are suggesting would work.
Not crazy. Even if he stops and pops from 15 ft. His man is hanging all over Garza.

Connor leads the team in assists. His assist to TO ratio is an incredible 4.5 to 1. IMO he has the highest basketball IQ on the team. And he’s a tough SOB.
Agree he is an integral part of the team and big part of the success.

A side note I am glad we have people defending and supporting the coach's kids, because the situation can be such a lightning rod for criticism. Course when they are really good it makes it hard to say too much. Can't wait for son #3. The youngest are generally the best.

Here's what I think, with PMac, Keegan, Nunge, Ogundele, and I'll throw in Kris Murray, for the next several years our front court is in great shape!

The funny thing about CMac's shooting is that he's such a good free throw shooter, money at the end of a game for the most part, it seems like that should translate to better shooting from the field. And, I wish he drove a bit more which would send him to the line.

And, with JBo gone next year, it's going to be hard to keep Joe T and Ulis off the floor.
Do we know for certain JBo is not coming back next year?

Agree he is an integral part of the team and big part of the success.

A side note I am glad we have people defending and supporting the coach's kids, because the situation can be such a lightning rod for criticism. Course when they are really good it makes it hard to say too much. Can't wait for son #3. The youngest are generally the best.
I'm not hating on CM, and last I checked Patrick was the coaches kid too. 4 guard set is great, but can't argue CM is 6-5, PM 6-9 and long, Murray 6-8. Going to be times we will need to go bigger at the 4. Fran has a pleasant problem of finding time for guys really playing well.

Just think, if we reduced Connor's minutes, our offense might actually be pretty good. Christ, we're averaging over 90 pts a game, folks.

Go back and watch the NW game, there are 4 or 5 great passes made by Connor that lead to easy baskets. No one else on the team has demonstrated that they can consistently do this.

Patrick had a very nice play in the NW game

Going for a tip/rebound on a missed Hawkeye shot

He slightly nudged the NW player in front of him, while he was airborne

The pussykat sailed past the rim and PMac tipped it in, quite nicely

He and Keegan have a lot of energy and savvy

They are intense and appear to be active in every play/possession

We do need Connor on the floor

He is the General and is competent and reliable

A quite qualified floor leader

Like a previous poster said it would be nice to have Garza step out for the three and have Conner cut or post, he has good size and is usually taller than the guard playing him.

Plus he either makes the basket and/or gets free throws

And usually makes 9 out of 10 attempts

Latest posts