MSU @ Purdue

I was glad to see msu get beat. I could see them stealing a 1 seed if their hot streak had continued. Defn thought they were ranked too high as in overrated

I'm kinda glad Purdue won as it basically eliminated MSU from the conference race. When you look at both teams remaining schedules MSU looks like they could easily run the table with their toughest games being at home against Indiana & Wisconsin while Purdue still has games on the road vs Michigan & Indiana with Maryland as a home game. IMO a four loss team "could" still win the conference but I don't see a 5 loss team winning the B1G and I don't see Purdue winning out.

So the conference race will probably come down to Iowa, Indiana, or Maryland. Obviously Iowa could poke a huge hole in Indiana's chances with a win tomorrow.

Probably a good thing for B1G. MSU will get a good seed anyway, Purdue needs some more wins to get a 4 seed or so.

I'm kinda glad Purdue won as it basically eliminated MSU from the conference race. When you look at both teams remaining schedules MSU looks like they could easily run the table with their toughest games being at home against Indiana & Wisconsin while Purdue still has games on the road vs Michigan & Indiana with Maryland as a home game. IMO a four loss team "could" still win the conference but I don't see a 5 loss team winning the B1G and I don't see Purdue winning out.

So the conference race will probably come down to Iowa, Indiana, or Maryland. Obviously Iowa could poke a huge hole in Indiana's chances with a win tomorrow.

4 losses means a team has to be 4 games better than us (in the case of MSU seeding wise) over 7 games to pass us. I don't think it would have happened regardless

Tomorrow's game is huge for so many reasons. Hopefully normal Iowa shows up and not the Iowa that shot so poorly against Maryland. Hell, even if that Iowa team shows up tomorrow it should be enough to beat Indiana.

Tomorrow's game is huge for so many reasons. Hopefully normal Iowa shows up and not the Iowa that shot so poorly against Maryland. Hell, even if that Iowa team shows up tomorrow it should be enough to beat Indiana.

Defense will keep us in it. Hot shooting by us and the rout is on.

4 losses means a team has to be 4 games better than us (in the case of MSU seeding wise) over 7 games to pass us. I don't think it would have happened regardless

I am hoping Iowa doesn't have to share the regular season title.

I am hoping Iowa doesn't have to share the regular season title.

Maryland should lose one more and probably 2...road games at Purdue and Indiana. Indiana should lose at least 2 more after tonight...road games at Michigan State and Iowa. I know as Hawk fans we want to err on the side of caution. But 14-4 should be good for a 2nd place tie. So we have to lose 3 more...at least 2 more IMO. Below are the current Sagarin spreads for our remaining games.

@ IN +1
MN -24
@ PSU -12
WI -12
@ OSU -6.5
IN -7
@ MI -2

Against this schedule we should be expected to be no worse than 16-2 based on what we've done thus far and the talent on our team. An undisputed conference championship while playing as tough a schedule as anyone is highly likely...barring injuries.

Maryland should lose one more and probably 2...road games at Purdue and Indiana. Indiana should lose at least 2 more after tonight...road games at Michigan State and Iowa. I know as Hawk fans we want to err on the side of caution. But 14-4 should be good for a 2nd place tie. So we have to lose 3 more...at least 2 more IMO. Below are the current Sagarin spreads for our remaining games.

@ IN +1
MN -24
@ PSU -12
WI -12
@ OSU -6.5
IN -7
@ MI -2

Against this schedule we should be expected to be no worse than 16-2 based on what we've done thus far and the talent on our team. An undisputed conference championship while playing as tough a schedule as anyone is highly likely...barring injuries.

I appreciate your optimism, I really do and I agree with your assessment of Maryland as I see good individuals players on Maryland but not a great team. But Iowa played horrible in that Maryland game and that game showed we are 1 bad shooting night by Uthoff of getting beat. IMO, Iowa should win the rest of the games as they have the talent to do it but the game at Maryland, Dayton, and even the win over Drake proves we can't take anybody for granted. A 4-3 finish, while disappointing, would not surprise me.

I appreciate your optimism, I really do and I agree with your assessment of Maryland as I see good individuals players on Maryland but not a great team. But Iowa played horrible in that Maryland game and that game showed we are 1 bad shooting night by Uthoff of getting beat. IMO, Iowa should win the rest of the games as they have the talent to do it but the game at Maryland, Dayton, and even the win over Drake proves we can't take anybody for granted. A 4-3 finish, while disappointing, would not surprise me.

It would shock me. Drake and Dayton were a long time ago. Dayton is good. Drake benefited from an Iowa State hangover...perfect trap game. We've won 12 out of 13. In the Maryland game Uthoff was posting up hard in the 2nd half and our guys weren't giving him the ball. We've been doing a much better job of that since. I can't envision another single digit game from Uthoff this season...definitely not 3 of them in the next 7 games.

It's been a long time since we had a team this good. We all need to enjoy this because we have 7 games and a postseason left and then we have to say goodbye to 4 outstanding seniors. And if we lose 3 out of 7 then we lose 3 out of 7. But it shouldn't happen so the last thing I'm going to do is worry about it.

I don't want it to sound like I'm arguing with you. I like the back and forth. And I saw Star Wars. The force has awakened.

Oh I'm enjoying it but we should have beaten Maryland. I mean how many air balls did Iowa shoot in that game? I'm exaggerating but it felt like Uhl had 5 by himself. Maybe we won't see that side of Iowa again, but it exists and any one of Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, and even Penn State could take advantage if it happens again. As bad as they played in that game it blows my mind they still had a shot to win it.

Let's check back after game tonight.

Oh I'm enjoying it but we should have beaten Maryland. I mean how many air balls did Iowa shoot in that game? I'm exaggerating but it felt like Uhl had 5 by himself. Maybe we won't see that side of Iowa again, but it exists and any one of Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, and even Penn State could take advantage if it happens again. As bad as they played in that game it blows my mind they still had a shot to win it.

Let's check back after game tonight.

I'm still not worried about the last 6 games. I thought we (the starters anyway) reacted better in this game than Maryland. There was some growth IMO. And there are no road games in the NCAA Tournament...or the conference tournament for that matter.

I'm still not worried about the last 6 games. I thought we (the starters anyway) reacted better in this game than Maryland. There was some growth IMO. And there are no road games in the NCAA Tournament...or the conference tournament for that matter.

Last nights game did not help my optimism at all.

Latest posts