MSU Game on Beggars Night?

First of all I can tell you don't have kids.

This is the mentality that is wrong with today's society. This isn't about me, you will find out in life that your decisions can influence and have an effect on other human beings as well and sometimes things aren't always what is best for yourself, we must make sacrifices, with that said beggars night isn't a huge deal to me, but I'm not going to tell a 6 year old she can't go trick or treating and have fun because daddy is going to a football game and having fun for himself.

First of all, I can tell that you love your kid very much, your life is centered around your kid and your kid is probably a little spoiled.

You are absolutely correct in that I do not have kids. However, I've grown up around kids my entire life and have come to the conclusion that your life is YOUR life and not your kids' life. You must maintain some of your own independence. I see nothing wrong with you, or any other parent, enjoying something that they really enjoy, even if it is at the expense of something your kids may want to do. You can't give your kids everything they want, every time they want it. I also find it hard to believe that you wouldn't be able to find some kind of alternative (do it the night before, or have someone else take them.) They don't just have to miss out on the fun becasue "daddy is going to a football game."

Again, beggar's night is NOT a huge deal.

First of all, I can tell that you love your kid very much, your life is centered around your kid and your kid is probably a little spoiled.

You are absolutely correct in that I do not have kids. However, I've grown up around kids my entire life and have come to the conclusion that your life is YOUR life and not your kids' life. You must maintain some of your own independence. I see nothing wrong with you, or any other parent, enjoying something that they really enjoy, even if it is at the expense of something your kids may want to do. You can't give your kids everything they want, every time they want it. I also find it hard to believe that you wouldn't be able to find some kind of alternative (do it the night before, or have someone else take them.) They don't just have to miss out on the fun becasue "daddy is going to a football game."

Again, beggar's night is NOT a huge deal.

It IS a huge deal to a child. Let's hope if you do have kids, your outlook on this changes, which, can happen, because it is completely different when they are your own! Otherwise, I feel sorry for your children! Being selfish with your time, is why so many kids don't have good role models to base their behavior on, and grow up being just as selfish. You get out 10 fold what you put into it. Anyway, enough preaching....to each their own, but I think the reason this thread existed, is because the person obviously puts his children first, and was posting his hope that this game won't be inconfilict with the beggers night activity. I sold my tickets to ball state, because of Homecoming conflicting the same day, and not getting back in time to be here to take pictures. As others have said, you will never get these times of their lives back, so enjoy them when they come around....trust me, they notice when you arent there....

Last edited:
I agree it is stupid but for Kids it is a huge thrill for them so it is fun for me to see how excited they are.

Don't get me wrong, I like Halloween and love the excitement in my kids but doing Trick or Treating on Oct 30th and calling it "Beggar's night", and then not doing anything on Halloween is stupid. Granted I haven't lived in Iowa my whole life so I don't know the reasoning for this, but even if I did know the reasoning I'm sure I'd still think it it was stupid. :rolleyes:

Can anyone enlighten me? Why does the Des Moines area do Beggar's night as opposed to Halloween?

It IS a huge deal to a child. Let's hope if you do have kids, your outlook on this changes, which, can happen, because it is completely different when they are your own! Otherwise, I feel sorry for your children! Being selfish with your time, is why so many kids don't have good role models to base their behavior on, and grow up being just as selfish. You get out 10 fold what you put into it. Anyway, enough preaching....to each their own, but I think the reason this thread existed, is because the person obviously puts his children first, and was posting his hope that this game won't be inconfilict with the beggers night activity. I sold my tickets to ball state, because of Homecoming conflicting the same day, and not getting back in time to be here to take pictures. As others have said, you will never get these times of their lives back, so enjoy them when they come around....trust me, they notice when you arent there....

We were all children once...therefore, we are all just as much an expert on children as you (at least what children believe, not changing diapers and such). Your child will believe that events and things are huge deals if you teach them that they are huge deals. Is it also a huge deal when Miley Cyrus comes to town?

Please don't ever feel sorry for me, or my future children.

Sorry, I digressed from the subject. If you have no one else that would like to take the children (wife, aunts, uncles, granparents), or it's important to you to be there, then by all means skip the game.

no way this will be 11:00 game...especially if State wins this weekend - sorry fellas!

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I must be old. When I was a kid I went trick or treating...on HALLOWEEN!!

What do you do on Halloween, have an Easter egg hunt?

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I must be old. When I was a kid I went trick or treating...on HALLOWEEN!!

What do you do on Halloween, have an Easter egg hunt?

I don't understand....why not have Halloween on....Halloween???

I KNOW! I have a feeling that the Des Moines City Council had something to do with this many many moons ago and it was some politically correct move that has stuck.

Fun Haters!

What the hell is 'Beggar's Night'?

Beggar's night in Des Moines is when you send your kids out to trick or treat. It's usually Oct 30. I don't know for sure why they do it that day, but remember being told once that it's safer for the younger kids to go that day than on Halloween because older "kids" may be creating trouble on Halloween. Probably BS.

Growing up in Des Moines, I thought that was the way everybody, everywhere did it, but having lived in several different states now, discovered that's NOT the case. If you ask about Beggars night, they look at you funny. In Rochester, MN, don't cha know, they trick or treat on Halloween.

First of all I can tell you don't have kids.

This is the mentality that is wrong with today's society. This isn't about me, you will find out in life that your decisions can influence and have an effect on other human beings as well and sometimes things aren't always what is best for yourself, we must make sacrifices, with that said beggars night isn't a huge deal to me, but I'm not going to tell a 6 year old she can't go trick or treating and have fun because daddy is going to a football game and having fun for himself.

What about mommy? Last year mommy went to the football game on Halloween and even dressed up! Daddy stayed home and went trick or treating. No one complained. I only felt bad about it for a few minutes...I've sacrificed a lot of personal time for my four children over the years, neglecting myself. It's really important to get away just for yourself sometimes, and frankly I've done to little of that. Until this summer, when we sent our two youngest to Des Moines to visit grandparents for a week, I have never been away from them more than 24 hours! They are 10 and 8. I understand what you're saying...the are lots of really selfish parents, but just because they miss one trick or treat night does it make them selfish.

I don't understand....why not have Halloween on....Halloween???

Yeah, well, I agree...there was no such thing as "beggar's night" in Colorado either, so this was an adaptation for my wife to adjust to when we moved back here to IA. [Having lived in South FL as well for many years, "trick or treating" was a major neighborhood social gathering and parents were handed out bottle's of beer at every few stops and everyone would sit in their lawn chairs on the front lawn or driveway. usual temps in the 60'-70's ]

Locally, and ironically, our city council has a choice which day to make "beggar's night", they wisely chose Sunday night. The thought process is to avoid having a conflict with local HS sports events, which usually occur on Fri. and sometimes Sat.

Problem I see with Sat. night is who's going to keep getting up to answer the doorbell when the Iowa game is in the 4th quarter?

My wife is staying home and taking our kids out to rot their teeth. But I do enjoy going out with the kids trick or treating. Our neighborhood is pretty cool. Some of the folks have beer for the parents, so it's kind of a party atmosphere.

Still...I'm not missing my Hawkeyes. The wife records the kids when I'm at work or a game on these occasions.

I have the solution: everyone bring candy to the tailgate, and dress your kids up as Iowa football players (or cheerleaders if you have girls). Wear a costume yourself, also. I plan to dress up as Hayden Fry...just like last year!

Latest posts