Mrs. McCaffery

smiley-sad011.gif
wow go cry somewhere else

I watched this board all day, this morning the majority of you were crying about this coach and now all of a sudden you rip a guy for putting his 2 cents in? Who needs that? I came here to read up on the new coach and I got more attitude than I did information. I thought fellow hawkeye's had more class than this, apparently not. So go ahead and rip on me for that too, but have you listened to yourselves lately?

I watched this board all day, this morning the majority of you were crying about this coach and now all of a sudden you rip a guy for putting his 2 cents in? Who needs that? I came here to read up on the new coach and I got more attitude than I did information. I thought fellow hawkeye's had more class than this, apparently not. So go ahead and rip on me for that too, but have you listened to yourselves lately?

it is really funny how you talk about how you got more attitude than information when the first thing you said on this board was that you saw nothing good from the hire...no backup evidence or reasoning behind it...just that you didnt see any good from the hire. Thats a solid posting if you ask me. Now you come and say you thought the fans had more class after posting that as well. I'm thinking your 0-2 right now with one air ball and another one barely hitting the rim, keep shooting though it might get better.

it is really funny how you talk about how you got more attitude than information when the first thing you said on this board was that you saw nothing good from the hire...no backup evidence or reasoning behind it...just that you didnt see any good from the hire. Thats a solid posting if you ask me. Now you come and say you thought the fans had more class after posting that as well. I'm thinking your 0-2 right now with one air ball and another one barely hitting the rim, keep shooting though it might get better.

You proved my point exactly

His opinionated wife is probably smarter than 90% of the people on this board.

Make that 99%. Margaret Nowlin McCaffery was one of the top Minnesota players in MN HS basketball all-time. POY in 1988, the best woman athlete probably to come out of Cretin-Durham Hall, one of the most successful athletic programs in the Twin Cities.

Nowlin was a prime target of Vivian Stringer, who lost the girl to Notre Dame: where she became the leading rebounder and one of the top scorers the Irish have had.

Always thought that she would have been the difference-maker to get Skinner's best teams (100 wins, 60-12 in the BT, 3 championships and a 2nd place finish)n the 4 years from 1988 to 1992 to Final Fours and a possible National Championship It was a great team with only one relative weakness: after Shanda Beryy graduated, the Hawkeyes lacked size inside. Imagine Nowlin's ferocious rebounding added to All-Americans Toni Foster & Fran Price up front, with the exceptional guards Jolette Law, Steph Schueler, Then add Tia jackson, LaTonya Tate, Trish Waugh, Molly Tideback, Laurie Aaron, eventually Nicole Tunsil. What a team it would have been with Nowlin's consistent double-doubles, 20 plus PPG, 10 plus RPG.

Even more, imagine having the basketball smarts & savvy of eventual college coaches (Jackson, U of Washington; Law, U of Illinois, Nowlin McCaffery) on the court together carrying out Vivian's game plan.

It was a very sad day when Margaret Nowlin turned us down: I still want to cry thinking about what might have been. Hope that these next few years in Iowa City will show her what a mistake she made 22 years ago.

Or... if you prefer optimism... here's how she's proven to be a positive influence on the program.

: How to Beat Margaret McCaffery's Apple Cobbler

Good article. It sounds like the McCaffery's know how to build relationships with players.

Coaches who share the positive aspects of their personal lives, and those that are close to them, with their athletes are following the key principles we discuss in our recruiting guides for college recruiters. They are adding an effective weapon to their recruiting arsenal.

Why? Because today's recruits value personal relationships a lot. And, most are looking for a connection with a coach as a primary method of determining which school is the "right fit" for them

Make that 99%. Margaret Nowlin McCaffery was one of the top Minnesota players in MN HS basketball all-time. POY in 1988, the best woman athlete probably to come out of Cretin-Durham Hall, one of the most successful athletic programs in the Twin Cities.

Nowlin was a prime target of Vivian Stringer, who lost the girl to Notre Dame: where she became the leading rebounder and one of the top scorers the Irish have had.

It was a very sad day when Margaret Nowlin turned us down: I still want to cry thinking about what might have been. Hope that these next few years in Iowa City will show her what a mistake she made 22 years ago.
Getting old is never more apparent than when I read posts like yours and remember everything as if it were yesterday and then realize it was 22 years ago:(.

On a present-day note, do you think Margaret will become involved in any important way with the women's team? Maybe in a way to boost attendance or something? It seems like it good be a natural fit. I wonder if she knows the present coaching staff since they are from approximately the same era.

Latest posts