Mr. Davis

I think Michigan is a bad example to try to prove your point. For one, Harbaugh sucked enough to get fired for years now and they just stuck with him. Also, they were probably about ready to fire him if he had another bad year because it looked like he would never get it done. Then he ended up getting it done, proving that sometimes it pays to not fire a coach.
Six years. That’s not a long time. The point is they went through several coaches in search of a coach that could bring back the level of success they had in the past. I would say that you are likely right in that his leash was getting shorter and shorter.
Michigan is also Michigan. They’rea blue blood. They will always have the athletes to get the job done. Iowa doesn’t have that.

Make a bad hire at Iowa and you’re fucked because it will only take a couple bad seasons in a row to run recruiting just like what happened at nebraska. Michigan can survive bad coaches because recruiting as a blue blood is pretty much guaranteed no matter what the program is doing.

Apples/oranges.

Iowa has lost to 3 good teams, 2 of them on the road. I was hoping for a split, they didn't get it, but still a lot of opportunities in front of them. This team lost a lot and is still finding itself, I think they will continue to progress and get better.... My expectation is still the Dance.
My expectation is I will win the lottery, give enough to the department of athletics to fire Fran and still have enough left to buy that shiny new, tricked-out F-150 I keep seeing on a nearby lot. I think my expectation is far more likely to happen than yours.

I so wish I could fight you on this but I can't, you are right and it's sad. Back in the 70's and 80's the basketball team was probably more popular than football, people packed that old field house and then we got the new shiny Carver. The fans were into it, the students were rowdy, and going to a basketball game was a blast. Every Iowa game was televised and if you watched it from home you couldn't wait to hear a "OH MY!".

Now few give a shit. You go to the game and besides the pep band there are not many students. You got all the old geezers like Huckfinn who sit on their hands all game. I hate how far back Carver feels even if you're sitting in the first few rows.

All of this because back in the mid to late 90s there were a group of fans who felt that TD wasn't good enough and they wanted to see Iowa take the next step as a program. Going to the NCAA tournament every year and winning at least the first round wasn't good enough. So they went out and got, what was thought to be, the hottest young coach around in Steve Alford. Most of you probably know the rest of the story so I won't describe it. But let's just say Iowa as a basketball program returning to the Alford/Lickliter years could happen very easily. Fran may never get Iowa to the next level but at least the team is fun to watch and usually competitive.

It's no different than football and people hating on KF. All you have to do is look to our west to see how quickly a program like Iowa could turn into a dumpster fire.
So we should stick with Fran's red face because at least he's not Lick? Or Alfraud?

Sorry, not good enough to retain Mediocaffrey.

Last edited:
Only if you want wealthy alumni to pull their donations.

We have cheated before. How do you think Raveling ot those players out of Michigan and Illinois. I just don't know how or exactly what was offered.
I think you're missing a critical reason why Raveling was able to pull players out of inner city areas...

This may be beating a dead horse, but let's just admit the design and seating arrangement of Carver-Hawkeye suck in terms of creating a hostile environment for opponents.

This may be beating a dead horse, but let's just admit the design and seating arrangement of Carver-Hawkeye suck in terms of creating a hostile environment for opponents.
“Beating a dead horse” would certainly define the myth that CHA is not a hostile environment for visitors.

I think you're missing a critical reason why Raveling was able to pull players out of inner city areas...
BJ Armstrong went to Brother Rice HS (an exclusive Catholic HS) in Bloomfield Township, hardly inner city. Roy Marble went to Flint Beecher HS and is NOT inner city. Both Ed Horton and Kevin Gamble could be considered inner city, both went to Lanphier HS in Springfield. Bill Jones could also be considered inner city as Southwestern HS was in southwest Detroit. Michael Morgan was from Haughton, LA - at 3500 or so, hardly inner city. Michael Reaves was from Milledgeville, GA; while a poor community, at about 15000 again hardly inner city. I guess Kent Hill could be considered inner city, being from Wichita, KS.

Jeff Moe, Al Lorenzen, Bart Casey and Les Jepsen can in no way be considered "inner city".

I guess what I'm getting at is that Raveling could really evaluate and successfully recruit talent; he was still learning as a bench coach when we hired him, though.

If we had Nunge and Wieskamp we could probably compete for a Big 10 title again this year. I'm not going to put either of those losses on Fran and I think there are only about 10 programs in the country that could withstand losing 2 huge pieces like that and not have a drop off. I expect an Iowa coach to be able to sustain success after losing senior classes. But I don't really expect them to sustain success after losing a player early to the pros and another leaving under the circumstances Nunge left under. Fwiw I do hold it against the coach when they can't sustain success when guys like CJ and Moss leave.

If we had Nunge and Wieskamp we could probably compete for a Big 10 title again this year. I'm not going to put either of those losses on Fran and I think there are only about 10 programs in the country that could withstand losing 2 huge pieces like that and not have a drop off. I expect an Iowa coach to be able to sustain success after losing senior classes. But I don't really expect them to sustain success after losing a player early to the pros and another leaving under the circumstances Nunge left under. Fwiw I do hold it against the coach when they can't sustain success when guys like CJ and Moss leave.
I think maybe one loss this year if Nunge had stayed. Pretty much agree with everything stated here.

The early outs in the NCAA tournaments however fall squarely on Fran however.

I think maybe one loss this year if Nunge had stayed. Pretty much agree with everything stated here.

The early outs in the NCAA tournaments however fall squarely on Fran however.
He's just like Davis in that regard. Has never lost a round of 64 game...

My expectation is I will win the lottery, give enough to the department of athletics to fire Fran and still have enough left to buy that shiny new, tricked-out F-150 I keep seeing on a nearby lot. I think my expectation is far more likely to happen than yours.
if you say so, but I kind of doubt it and your grasp on the lottery odds and how you would spend your winnings tells me you likely wouldn't be able to grasp a whole lot of common sense. I'd be happy to put actual money on it so you can get out of Rainbow Brite Land and join the rest of us.

Those thinking Jbo should run point that honestly is the most ridiculous think posted. I wish Jbo was gone TBH. I don't recall ever feeling this way about an Iowa basketball player before. He is a classless and down right arrogant. The blowing a kiss to the Hilton crowd after draining the 3 was the icing on the cake for me, he is just a clown..

Those thinking Jbo should run point that honestly is the most ridiculous think posted. I wish Jbo was gone TBH. I don't recall ever feeling this way about an Iowa basketball player before. He is a classless and down right arrogant. The blowing a kiss to the Hilton crowd after draining the 3 was the icing on the cake for me, he is just a clown..
If he reads your post I am sure he will be crushed!