most thought hawks would beat Isu in 2014

I think the hawks should win big this saturday and I almost think the hawks will win by 20 plus. but I thought they should have won in 2014 and was shocked by the loss. so I hate to read people say we are going to kill them.

is there a Isu super bowl jinx with KF and this series? there have been more than several surprising losses.

2014 was the year the opposing teams figured out we had a fullback as our main running back. 2.9 yards per rush in that game for all rushers (44 attempts and we attempted 24 passes to show how lopsided the play calling was). Run heavy and it wasn't working. Rudock had 12 attempts, not sure how many of those were ones where he did his freeze in the pocket routine.

That 2014 game makes more sense when you look at what played out for the remainder of the season. No surprise at all that it turned out like it did. We just could not see then what was to come for the balance of the year. We were not as good as everyone was making us out to be and that game and others made that very apparent.

2014 was the year the opposing teams figured out we had a fullback as our main running back. 2.9 yards per rush in that game for all rushers (44 attempts and we attempted 24 passes to show how lopsided the play calling was). Run heavy and it wasn't working. Rudock had 12 attempts, not sure how many of those were ones where he did his freeze in the pocket routine.

That 2014 game makes more sense when you look at what played out for the remainder of the season. No surprise at all that it turned out like it did. We just could not see then what was to come for the balance of the year. We were not as good as everyone was making us out to be and that game and others made that very apparent.

It still does not explain that loss. The hawks played conservative on both sides of the ball and the Coordinators admitted it the next Tuesday and the presser. Stupid coaching againsst a weak opponent.

It still does not explain that loss. The hawks played conservative on both sides of the ball and the Coordinators admitted it the next Tuesday and the presser. Stupid coaching againsst a weak opponent.
Iowa was the only team not to put up 30 plus against ISU. They were terrible. One of worst coached games ever.

The worse the opponent, the more conservative the game plan. Kirk 101.

It's funny because Iowa state is the worst team iowa will face all year and yet a lot of people are really nervous about the game. If you put Akron or kent state on their helmets nobody would be concerned at all.

I suppose we have recent history to thank

This is the game where the 2014 game plan of running the ball down their throats may actually work. It didn't with MW, but with Daniels and Wadley, instead of those 2-3 yard gains, we're seeing 8-15+

I think this year will be telling. Does KF go back to ultra conservative every game, or do we build off of some aspects of last year (trying to score at half, few more long shots down field).

I do get tired of the fle flicker as our only deep option most games. I'd like to see a little more creativity if we're doing "trick" plays.

This game always makes us nervous, because KF record against the Clones is really, really bad.

The 2014 team wasn't as talented or experienced as this year's team. Plus, the biggest difference in my opinion is the linebackers. Ferentz coached Iowa teams have excelled when they've had good linebacking and struggled when they've had poor or mediocre linebacking. The 2014 team had lost Hitchens and Kirksey both 3 year starters so they had almost no experience at linebacker. I almost never feel good about the ISU game, but this year I feel very confident. We are significantly better than them on both lines and we have talented linebackers.

Well I would say that running over 40 times and only averaging 2.9 per carry explains it as you mentioned the coaches commented the following day.

As I will reiterate. The loss may have been shocking at the time, but seeing how all of 2014 played out, that loss in hindsight is not all that shocking. Can't just look at what we believed at that moment in time. 2014 was not a good year so losing to them really doesn't seem that shocking to me.

I'm a Kirk supporter but that was in his bottom 3 as far as coaching performances in his career.

That game was the beginning of the "dump Kirk, he's done" movement...and rightfully so. It was embarrassing and weak. the quintessential example of 'Playing-not-to-lose".

You know, Iowa wasn't great in 2014 but ISU was absolutely terrible. That WAS a poorly coached game by Ferentz and Co. We'll see tomorrow night if they've upped their game since then. No excuses ... no doubt Iowa has the better team. Now they need to make sure the team proves it.

Latest posts