most thought hawks would beat Isu in 2014

It's not King I'm worried about, it's the other side. And before we completely toss Mabin under the bus, it wasn't all on him, the over-the-top help was less than stellar. Basically, communication among the D was not good. It better improve in a hurry
It's kind of hard to get down on Mabin. Keep throwing the ball to the 6-4 receiver he's covering . . . not a complicated formula. I thought they may have switched King onto Gardner at some point, but it didn't matter a hell of a lot in the end.

It's kind of hard to get down on Mabin. Keep throwing the ball to the 6-4 receiver he's covering . . . not a complicated formula. I thought they may have switched King onto Gardner at some point, but it didn't matter a hell of a lot in the end.

Like I said, it was the communication between Mabin and Snyder that was bad.

I feel like this Iowa team has a bigger chip on its shoulder than others that have walked into the Cyclone game complacently. This team has the pressure of going 12-0 and then crapping the bed in the B1G title game and the Rose Bowl riding on them. They haven't forgotten that. Heck, Desmond King said that's why he came back -- unfinished business. They won't sleep through this and the Hawkeyes are most definitely the better team.

I agree about the chip factor. We tend to play our best football when we are the underdog and have that collective team chip. Not only is CJ a winner but coming into last year negativity was at an all-time high. The program was counted out by everyone including many of us. Not the case this year. We were very sharp in the opening game last year building a 31-0 lead before giving up 2 late game TDs with the back ups in. We were the trendy upset pick that week by football analysts. Contrast that to the Miami of Ohio opener this year where I thought the offense was sharp early but the defense looked complacent as a whole.

Now that leads me into this series with ISU where we are always the overwhelming favorite. They get to play the disrespected underdog role every year. Add in the fact they lose to an FCS program the week before and get to hear all week how bad they are and how they are going to get steamrolled by Iowa. That's a chip builder 101 and makes it difficult for us to generate our own chip.

If we do not get out to a fast start and put a couple of unanswered scores on the board to take their will away this will help ISU think they can hang. Then it will be a dog fight. The first quarter start for us is big.

Last edited:
SpecialKHawk -- no doubt. I noticed that UNI ran for 200+ yards on ISU. I imagine Wadley and Daniels will be seeing the ball a lot.

If we lose it will be because CJ got hurt, we have 5 turnovers, or Kirk coached the most boring game of football he's ever coached. With Wadley, I'm not even sure we can lose with the 3rd option. In '14, our line dominated for 4 yard gains because we had a fullback. If the exact same situation played out this year, our running backs would take advantage when the big holes were there and break a few big ones instead of converting those opportunities into 10 yard gains like Weisman did.

If we lose it will be because CJ got hurt, we have 5 turnovers, or Kirk coached the most boring game of football he's ever coached. With Wadley, I'm not even sure we can lose with the 3rd option. In '14, our line dominated for 4 yard gains because we had a fullback. If the exact same situation played out this year, our running backs would take advantage when the big holes were there and break a few big ones instead of converting those opportunities into 10 yard gains like Weisman did.

Agreed. Plus it is freaking ISU and it is Hate week. WTF man I'm not gonna sit here and act like we should be afraid of that shatty team. We are the better team, lets act like it.

2014 was a classic "keep the other team in the game" approach by KFz. Even former players (McNutt for one) were tweeting "Throw the damn ball downfield!" during the game. Kirk needs to eat a little more red meat.

Nothing short of a complete beat down will be acceptable. I think we'll see just that, with a lot of young guys getting 2nd half playing time.

Beating ISU I still will not be able to gauge how good Iowa is. I never can when they beat ISU.

Lose to them and it raises a bunch of red flags. If they can exploit Iowa's weaknesses it means the rest of the teams on the Iowa schedule can do the same. Especially this year, this ISU team is flat out awful.

Beating ISU I still will not be able to gauge how good Iowa is. I never can when they beat ISU.

Lose to them and it raises a bunch of red flags. If they can exploit Iowa's weaknesses it means the rest of the teams on the Iowa schedule can do the same. Especially this year, this ISU team is flat out awful.

Beat ISU:
2015 (12)
2013 (8)
2010 (8)
2009 (11)
2008 (9)
2006 (6)
2004 (10)
2003 (10)

Average wins per year when beating ISU 9.25 Wins

Lose to ISU:
2014 (7)
2012 (4)
2011 (7)
2007 (6)
2005 (7)
2002 (11)
2001 (7)
2000 (3)
1999 (1)

Average wins per year when losing to ISU 5.88 Wins

I think we can get a pretty good idea of how good we will be if we beat ISU. Only 1 time did we fail to win at least 8 games when beating them. Only 1 time did we go better than 7 wins if we lost to them.

Beat ISU:
2015 (12)
2013 (8)
2010 (8)
2009 (11)
2008 (9)
2006 (6)
2004 (10)
2003 (10)

Average wins per year when beating ISU 9.25 Wins

Lose to ISU:
2014 (7)
2012 (4)
2011 (7)
2007 (6)
2005 (7)
2002 (11)
2001 (7)
2000 (3)
1999 (1)

Average wins per year when losing to ISU 5.88 Wins

I think we can get a pretty good idea of how good we will be if we beat ISU. Only 1 time did we fail to win at least 8 games when beating them. Only 1 time did we go better than 7 wins if we lost to them.

So in other words Iowa will win Saturday. I am expecting 9+ wins this season.

2014 was a classic "keep the other team in the game" approach by KFz. Even former players (McNutt for one) were tweeting "Throw the damn ball downfield!" during the game. Kirk needs to eat a little more red meat.

Nothing short of a complete beat down will be acceptable. I think we'll see just that, with a lot of young guys getting 2nd half playing time.

Considering freaking UNI put up 25 points . . . if we don't put up AT LEAST 45 Hayden might tweet this 51-10 . . . 59-21 . . . 57-3 . . . 43-7 . . . 48-9 !!!!!

We won't lose Saturday. I expect a 17 point win.
And Miami of Ohio is a very much improved team. Great QB play wins many games for them this year.
I bet Miami of Ohio would knock the crap out of the clowns! Geeeezzz would everybody stop with the nervousness already! This clown team is awful!!!!!!! We're playing in KINNICK!!!!!!! The stadium will be rocking and those clowns won't know what hit them! KF has learned losing to those clowns IS NOT acceptable and Hawkeye Nation WILL NOT tolerate it any longer!! Come on Hawk fans quit being so squeamish for crying out loud!!!! Go Hawks!!!

Losing a 1st team all big 10 LB and potential all American early in the 1st game of the season is going to lead to some defensive adversity. Other than that I think we are fine. This game most likely will be closer than it should based on passing game mismatches but the hawks will "pull away" to win by 10-14. There are enough kids on the cyclones side of things that do drink the koolaid of making this a cyclone state. Hawks by 14 but it will feel like a game most of the day.

Yes. Jewell also would have called any defensive adjustments. I am sure the backup didn't always call it correctly as often as Jewell would have.

We lost that game in 2014 after Jake threw that pic. After that he could not make any play with any kind of confidence. He was just out there doing nothing. Our coaches blew it, when they didn't replace him when it was clear he had a problem. They should have put in the talented CJ B.
The coaches lost 2014 game for us. They should've replaced Jake. And finally, Kirk calling that stupid time out to try to ice the kicker after he already kicked.? That was the dumbest move he made all day.....gave him a free practice shot. And of course he missed the practice shot. But made the game winner.

We had some terrible second halves that year. That was the year of the Ball State game also. That game alone should have foreshadowed what was to come.

The game last year was tied 17-17 with 3 minutes to play in the 4th quarter. Sorry folks, Miami of Ohio is NOT a good team. Iowa needs to come out and play with great effort and enthusiasm to defeat Iowa State. I believe they will; it is a national game on BTN and under the lights. If Iowa doesn't give maximum effort in this game, there is something wrong. Respect Iowa State and play them accordingly. This won't be an easy game for Iowa. As always, Iowa State makes their season and Campbell makes his career by beating Iowa. Nothing ever changes in this rivalry

I think we dominate this game from the start and cover the spread. I'd love to see King cover Lazard all game and shut him down but I don't think we move him around. He did seem to cover Boyd almost exclusively last year, maybe that was just a coincidence?
ISU fans were so confident in Campbell (like they are every 5 years a new coach comes in) and were quickly brought back to reality and reminded who they are; ISU, the 3rd best football school in the state.

Latest posts