Most Likely Recruits

UncleHawk

There's lots of speculation and wish lists going on concerning our last two recruiting spots. However, the only two uncommitted prospects who have visited or have set a confirmed visit are Hubbard and Olaseni. Because signing day is 3 weeks away, I'm going with those 2 as the most likely recruits. Remember, Fran has said repeatedly that he's going after the best available talents, not necessarily a PG.

A lot of posters shy away from Hubbard because of his past. However, Fran is not stupid and he doesn't have a religious axe to grind that might blind him like Alford. You've got to be sure Fran and staff checked this guy out thoroughly before offering. That said, his past is why he's available. He could step right into our line-up as a player with all of May's athletic talents plus ball-handling and penetrating ability, good 3pt shooter (33%), rebounding (10 per currently), no fear in the lane (20ppg, 64%fg), and lots of BB experience at 25 yo. Because he's a penetrator, I could do without a PG in this class and go with Cartwright, Payne, and Marble. He would also allow a line-up with White, Basabe, Hubbard, Gatens, and Cartwright because of his rebounding. Note that this line-up could potentially have 5 double-digit scorers. Olaseni is likely to be most suited to come off the bench his first year. He and Brommer could provide 25 or so minutes at center. I think this would be ideal for Olaseni because he could be coached before he went into the game and share time with a Sr. already familiar with the system. He'd be set up as the only center going into 2012 with any experience. He's an unknown quantity but rumored to be strong defensively, something we could obviously use under the hoop. No other offers or visits I know of. I think Hubbard is trying to play a waiting game, hoping a high-level team will pick him up. Because of his past, I don't think that's going to happen and we could well be lucky enough to get him. I think it would be a good thing for him too, as adding his shooting, rebounding, and penetrating ability to our already existing line-up would shore up weaknesses and make IA a better team. His talents would be well-used at Iowa.

The other main pursuits that I know of are Carter, Jackson, and Glover. God's Gift Achiuwa keeps being talked about on IA fan sites but nowhere else. I think he might be going to St. John's. Katenda is going to ND or Wake, face it. As the highest-rated PG remaining on the board, Carter's going to be unlikely. I think Jackson is on hold because UNC gave him a whiff and he too is unlikely as he is a top ten recruit remaining of the board. Is there continuing interest in Glover?

To be clear, if we could get any 2 of the above, I'd be very happy. However, for the reasons stated, at this late date without other scheduled visits, I think we are most likely to get Olaseni and Hubbard.

UncleHawk

Last edited:
Not much to add to this other than I think this was a quality post.
I love Hawkeye basketball and I'm glad it's back!!!

"Fran is not stupid and he doesn't have a religious axe to grind that might blind him like Alford."

What?

First off, I believe McCaffery is Catholic, and second, when did Alford ever drive away a player or a recruit based on religious beliefs or traditions?

The man gave PP a second chance, a poor decision, but one that certainly refutes the idea that Alford would shy away from a troubled player based on past incidents.

Also, does anyone have any video of Hubbard?

"Fran is not stupid and he doesn't have a religious axe to grind that might blind him like Alford."

What?

First off, I believe McCaffery is Catholic, and second, when did Alford ever drive away a player or a recruit based on religious beliefs or traditions?

The man gave PP a second chance, a poor decision, but one that certainly refutes the idea that Alford would shy away from a troubled player based on past incidents.

Also, does anyone have any video of Hubbard?[/QUOTE]

Does surveillance video count? :cool:

Just kidding.

Regarding Alford and his "Christianity on his sleeve" attitude, I do remember getting awfully sick and tired of people saying (when he was first hired) "what a good Christian man he was. What would his religion have anything to do with his coaching ability or his ability to get along with players, staff, fans, etc.? Nobody ever said what a good Jewish man Todd Lickliter was when he was hired, did they?

Okay, got that off my chest.

I would be shocked if Iowa didn't pull in a PG, whether that's Eli Carter (LONG shot) or one of the many, many JUCO PGs out there.

What?

I know Alford liked church. I mean he was nailing the church secretary in the hot tub when his wife caught them. Not sure about the being a Christian part though.

Just kidding.

Regarding Alford and his "Christianity on his sleeve" attitude, I do remember getting awfully sick and tired of people saying (when he was first hired) "what a good Christian man he was. What would his religion have anything to do with his coaching ability or his ability to get along with players, staff, fans, etc.? Nobody ever said what a good Jewish man Todd Lickliter was when he was hired, did they?

I would be shocked if Iowa didn't pull in a PG, whether that's Eli Carter (LONG shot) or one of the many, many JUCO PGs out there.

Agree. No way can McCaffrey not bring a PG in. Watching all the tourney games reinforced why we desperately need an updgrade here. Cartwright is a great option for next season, but a backcourt of Cartwright and Payne isn't going to strike fear into the opposition.

In an ideal world a third roster spot would open up, as we need to add 3 for next year. It is getting frustrating to look at the calendar and see April approaching without a verbal. I hope we are not scavenging in May again.

Based on what I've read of Hubbard's game, he would be an ideal fit. He is a legitimate Big Ten scorer and defender from day one.

I think Cartwright, Gatens, Hubbard, Basabe, and White/Brommer is a mid-tier conference team.

And I'll say this about Hubbard. Reading his quotes is refreshing. He sounds articulate, mature and seems to have a great perspective on his past. I am intrigued by stories of redemption, particularly when it involves Iowans embracing someone from a completely different environment, and in turn, that individual embracing Iowans.

I trust Fran on this one. He knows the stakes if he is wrong on a kid with this type of background. I'm also impressed with Fran's courage and faith in himself to evaluate a young person's character. If he had any doubts, this "kid" wouldn't be worth the risk.

What?

Just kidding.

Guess I didn't even know Lickliter was Jewish. He was a quality guy, it seems, and maybe he was a good Jewish man. Bruce Pearl I know is Jewish and him being a good Jewish man. Hmmm, maybe not so much.

Anyway, agreed about the comment on Alford's religous axe to grind comment. Nonsense.

Anyway, agreed about the comment on Alford's religous axe to grind comment. Nonsense.

My take on this was simply that he came off as a young, grounded, honest guy (think about Ferentz's profile) which was a real positive considering some of the sleazy coaches out there we could have hired. It wasn't necessarily his specific religion.

But...that's also why people turned on him so readily once his arrogance became so obvious. They didn't like feeling like they were dupped.

Based on what I've read of Hubbard's game, he would be an ideal fit. He is a legitimate Big Ten scorer and defender from day one.

I think Cartwright, Gatens, Hubbard, Basabe, and White/Brommer is a mid-tier conference team.

And I'll say this about Hubbard. Reading his quotes is refreshing. He sounds articulate, mature and seems to have a great perspective on his past. I am intrigued by stories of redemption, particularly when it involves Iowans embracing someone from a completely different environment, and in turn, that individual embracing Iowans.

I trust Fran on this one. He knows the stakes if he is wrong on a kid with this type of background. I'm also impressed with Fran's courage and faith in himself to evaluate a young person's character. If he had any doubts, this "kid" wouldn't be worth the risk.

Well put, Swirlin. If Hubbard was 18 years old instead of 25, fans would be salivating over him. The reality is that for Iowa to get players with his kind of size and skills, there are going to be flaws, just as all of our recruits during this era are going to be flawed in some way. I'm glad that Hubbard's flaw involves something that happened 8 years ago.

It also cracks me up to read about guys picking apart Kyle Meyer, for instance, because he isn't big or strong enough. If Kyle Meyer was 6'10", 250 with dominant rebounding skills and 16-foot range as a high school junior, he would be a lottery pick in 2013. Instead, he's 6'9", 220, with 16-foot range, and he's coming to Iowa. I'll gladly take that.

In conclusion, Hawkeye fans, I ask you: would you rather sit at home on prom night because all the popular girls shot you down, or ask out a girl who might actually want to go with you?

Well put, Swirlin. If Hubbard was 18 years old instead of 25, fans would be salivating over him. The reality is that for Iowa to get players with his kind of size and skills, there are going to be flaws, just as all of our recruits during this era are going to be flawed in some way. I'm glad that Hubbard's flaw involves something that happened 8 years ago.

It also cracks me up to read about guys picking apart Kyle Meyer, for instance, because he isn't big or strong enough. If Kyle Meyer was 6'10", 250 with dominant rebounding skills and 16-foot range as a high school junior, he would be a lottery pick in 2013. Instead, he's 6'9", 220, with 16-foot range, and he's coming to Iowa. I'll gladly take that.

In conclusion, Hawkeye fans, I ask you: would you rather sit at home on prom night because all the popular girls shot you down, or ask out a girl who might actually want to go with you?

If this chick who wants to go with me might potentially stab my grandmother, I'll go ahead and sit the night out.

Excellent post. It is human nature for us biased hawk fans to want the best players to want us, but we are not the sparkling new car on the lot. We have some dents and dings ourselves and have to be honest about who we can realistically expect to sign until we get back to respectability.

McCaffrey has to find some kids that are under the radar as juniors and seniors and hope they grow, develop, etc., as players at Iowa. I have no illusions about winning recruiting battles with MSU, Purdue, KU, but hope we can win battles against mid majors and lower level programs from other BCS conferences.

That's a great point. Has he been in any trouble in the past 8 years? Yet how many times has Iowa (or any program) taken chances on kids with problems in their recent past?

From what I've read of Hubbard, he is extremely focused on the task at hand and wanting to maximize his opportunities over the next two years. Not exactly the kind of guy you'd find passed out in the alley behind the Field House. Twice.

The more I think about it, the more I love the idea of Cartwright and Hubbard in the backcourt. You heard it here first. That backcourt puts us in the tourney next season.

You think Cartwright and Hubbard, with their life experiences and maturity, go into Madison and get intimidated? You think we lose to Northwestern twice?

They both also seem like great teammates.

Everything I've read about Hubbard is that he's remorseful of his prior actions and has really turned his life around.

If he fits Mac's style and philosophy I see no problem with him coming to Iowa. I know I'll be rooting for him.

I think getting an athletic wing like Hubbard might allow Fran to have more options offensively.

What?

Just kidding.

Not that it makes a huge difference, but I am pretty sure Lickliter was Greek Orthodox. Faith is a personal thing, has no bearing on how good someone is at coaching, or just about anything else I guess! There are a lot of bums out there, who happen to be great coaches, or at least they win alot1

ToothGuy

I just want to make this clear, nobody has seen Hubbard play, correct?

We all know he is a great players based on what exactly?

Also, does anyone have any video of Hubbard?

Dunk showing hops:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er78kalr0MA]YouTube - Anthony Hubbard Dunk vs. DBC[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAVReonArrw]YouTube - Anthony Hubbard Scores for Turlock High.mp4[/ame]

HawkCentral article answering some questions:
UI officials did background search on recruit | Hawk Central

Hubbard's JC stats:
NJCAA | Colleges | Frederick Community College | Basketball I | Roster

UncleHawk

I don't think those videos are of the right Anthony Hubbard.

There is a high school senior named Anthony Hubbard who plays for Turlock High. Remember, AH spent the last two years at JUCOs and the previous four locked up for beating up and old person in a home invasion, so high school and AAU footage will be much older than those.

This is the Anthony Hubbard you linked Turlock?s Hubbard adds scoring presence among other threats (Archive)

Anthony Hubbard Basketball Profile - Turlock 09-10 - MaxPreps

Latest posts