Most Iconic Iowa Football Pictures Ever

And Bo Pelini was on the field for this play. He's one of the guys Marv Cook is dragging into the end zone.

The+Catch2.jpg
That game was the final straw for Earle Bruce who couldn't beat Michigan or illinois and was now losing to Iowa. He was relieved of his duties the following Monday, but was allowed to coach the Michigan game. Guess what? The beat Michigan and a roar went through Kinnick when the score was announced during the Minnesota game.

1963 Minnesota game
1nW8T58.jpg
#61 is Mike Reilly, who did analysis on radio with Ron Gonder for many years and who's son Jim played at Iowa in the late eighties. Jim, I believe ended up marrying a field hockey player name Erica Richards who I had several classes with in college and knew a little bit. Nice Jersey girl.

The famous Joe Salem game where the embattled Minnesota coach may have gotten fired before or during the game and may have gone incognito in the middle of it. Minnesota definite looked rudderless that day. Note the 61-10 score. Ronnie Harmon got his first significant time at tailback that day after two years of flanker, a sign of things to come. #55 is Joe Levellis and #78 is future Kansas City Chief John Alt.

TIMBER!!!

Ron Hawley wipes out the MSU goal post.

#41 was Bobby Stoops. MSU had the old fashioned H shaped goalposts installed for their final game of the season so the students would damage the regular ones. Sure enough, a player knocked one over. Three years later, Scott Helverson collided with an H shaped goalpost at Wisconsin and it dislodged what would have been a TD reception.

Hahah nah I considered it, he's a pretty nice guy but I doubt he's terribly proud of Vodka Sam's infamy.

Now it's Acie Earl 10 feet from my office :0

A buddy of mine and I once poured (dribbled) beer on Acie's head from the upper floor of the Fieldhouse back in the day. Thought was going to get my azz kicked that night. "C'mon bro, your spilling beer on us."

Then after last call we ended up taking two Indiana volleyball players back to his dorm room in Hillcrest. I got the plumper one. Now I really doubt they were Indiana volleyball players but prob just regular U of Iowa students. I mean why would Indiana be in town for volleyball in the spring? Oh the memories.