Most Iconic Iowa Football Pictures Ever

Kollman sounds like he, as a grown adult now past sixty, doesn't even respect the Hawks.

Not surprising that an ex clone would respond that way. And as for fixing him up that probably told you everything you needed to know.

Look, I hated Illinois in the 1980's. Couldn't stand them. Would never root for them in a neutral game. I thought both Mike White and Lou Henson were cheating. I also thought they played chippy. But I got over it. Life's too damn short. That's pretty sad that a grown adult would respond that way no matter who he played for or what role he played in the loss.
He must hate a lot of teams, since he was 4-13 on field goals that season.

He must hate a lot of teams, since he was 4-13 on field goals that season.
Iowa State played in the Peach Bowl that year, losing to NC State.

Who knows how big of a bowl that loss to Iowa cost them.

The coach for NC State that day would meet a tragic ending. Bo Rein, not to be confused with the Wisconsin BB coach, was hired at LSU at the end of the the 1979 season. Early in 1980, he was on a recruiting trip when the plane lost cabin pressure trying to fly over a thunderstorm. The plane is believed to have gone down in the Gulf of Mexico and was never recovered. Rein, who played for Woody Hayes at tOSU on their 1968 championship team, was only 33 years old.

Kollman sounds like he, as a grown adult now past sixty, doesn't even respect the Hawks.

Not surprising that an ex clone would respond that way. And as for fixing him up that probably told you everything you needed to know.

Look, I hated Illinois in the 1980's. Couldn't stand them. Would never root for them in a neutral game. I thought both Mike White and Lou Henson were cheating. I also thought they played chippy. But I got over it. Life's too damn short. That's pretty sad that a grown adult would respond that way no matter who he played for or what role he played in the loss.

He's what you would expect a former Cyclone kicker to be...i.e., not worth getting to know...

That kicker, Scott Kollman, goes to our church. My wife tried to fix him up with one of my sisters. We were at a party where we happened to be watching the Hawks/Wisconsin game in 2014. He casually mentioned he was pulling for Wisconsin. When I asked him if he was from there, he replied that he went to Iowa State, missed two FGs as their kicker in the 1977 game, and that he "always" roots against the Hawks.

Suffice it to say, he was neither allowed to sit next to my sister at dinner, nor was he allowed any conversation with her. Oh, and my wife just finished up her penance last month.
Sounds like he has that "Beat Iowa" on his jersey now tattooed on his brain.

Went thru the whole thread, amazing memories from all those years of games.

One iconic pic not yet seen: Dallas Clark's over-the-shoulder catch in the end zone to beat Purdue in 2002. Still one of the top 5 games I've been to. Still no pic of Larry Station nailing Jamie Morris on 3rd down late in the epic 1985 game? Without that stop, we lose. Hope someone can find that.

Random pic observations from a long-time older fan (first Iowa game was in 1969):

Isn't it great to have to think for a second as to what year it was, with any picture between 1979 and 2018, since our unis are almost unchanged since then? I used to want to "update" them but now---naw. The great programs never change them.

I think the "bear cave" in the grassy corner was a drainage thing.

Interesting to see #77 Alex Karras as one of the two players carrying Evy off the field after a big win, because they f-----g HATED each other.

Nile looks like he was pretty ripped, and back then you didn't lift a lot of heavy weights or you were thought to get "muscle-bound". I wonder what his training regimen was, aside from the universal use of "medicine balls' at that time? Also, he was a Christian Scientist and refused most medical care.

Any picture with Tyler Sash almost brings me to tears. Just incredibly sad.

Loved seeing Phil Parker and Bo Pellini playing against Iowa--and wasn't Phil Parker the one who broke then-QB Jim Harbaugh's leg in a game, ending his season? Just another reason to love the man.

Timmy D gets kicked out of that game pronto with that hit now. Or, really, any hit he had as a defender.

Iowa Stadium was overlooked by a hill and--true story--there was a game during the influenza epidemic that was played with NO SPECTATORS. And they threatened to have people stationed on the hill to spot intruders and arrest them.

Houghtlin is praying as he leans over the tee, and realizes the tee is only 6 yards behind the LOS. He re-marks it at the usual 7, and nails the kick to beat UM 12-10. What if he hadn't noticed that? We'll never know.

Always neat to see the married student housing quonset huts in the now-elite donors' lot at Kinnick. I imagine they tailgated pretty hard on gameday. Or maybe not, I think a lot of them had kids at that time. Another bygone thing: kids sold pop and popcorn and hotdogs in the stands back then (I was one of them). Got to see the game for free, and made a little change along the way. Games never on TV, only radio. Zero corporate sponsorship of anything. "Knothole" tickets for kids cost $4. Only had five home games some years, all at 1:05 pm. Yeah, nothing has changed!

The Scottish Highlanders, either loved or despised. They played three things: Scotland the Brave, Black Bear, and some song during the drum-dance. I miss them. Most do not.

Hayden didn't run as many exotics as people remember, but he DID run a lot of draw plays on 3rd down. A LOT of draw plays. But he did really talk that folksy way, all the time. A bigger contrast to Bob Commings you will never find. And while Kirk is a quiet Belichick-esque about injuries, Hayden never shut up about how "banged-up" we were, or how we were "the walking wounded." And so on. But he was always up-beat--hell, you had to be, in those early days.

It's a myth that Kinnick sold-out even when we were bad. We only sold-out when Hayden came on board. In the awful 1973 year, when we went 0-11, we averaged about 42,000 per home game, and only 31,000 showed up for the final game against MSU. We were worse than you can imagine, and for 20 years.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. But thought some of you youngsters might find these tidbits about The Good Ole Days of some interest.

Latest posts