Most Iconic Iowa Football Pictures Ever

Chuck Long re-telling that play and his chat with Fry on the sideline before the play is epic awesomeness
I was there, and I've seen it on TV at least 5,000 times. The only defensive player who didn't buy the fake was #44, but either Rick Bayless or David Hudson got a good piece of him in the backfield and he couldn't get to Long in time. Chuck had to feel like his back was turned for about fifteen minutes, but he had to sell the fake. Needless to say he executed it well. Bo Jackson is the greatest athlete I've ever seen, but Chuck Long deserved the Heisman that year.

iowawavepic.jpg

I was there, and I've seen it on TV at least 5,000 times. The only defensive player who didn't buy the fake was #44, but either Rick Bayless or David Hudson got a good piece of him in the backfield and he couldn't get to Long in time. Chuck had to feel like his back was turned for about fifteen minutes, but he had to sell the fake. Needless to say he executed it well. Bo Jackson is the greatest athlete I've ever seen, but Chuck Long deserved the Heisman that year.
Wasn't Phil Parker on the field for MSU on that play?

Yes it is.

That Kinnick run was a huge picture at the old Ironmen Inn.

For those who are poking fun at it, that 39 team ran a no huddle wide open offense that the rest of the nation was buzzing about.
Sad statement that our 39 offense was more exciting than anything we have seen in the new century.
Old Ironmen Inn, where was that? Never heard of it

Wasn't Phil Parker on the field for MSU on that play?
He would have been #32 I believe and was probably on the field for that play unless he came out for goal line defense.

A more iconic play occurred on Iowa's first offensive series when Long and Robert Smith hooked up for a sixty yard bomb with Parker in futile pursuit of Smith.

View attachment 3398

And then there was this......
Harmon and the 86 Rose Bowl were discussed in a thread about 6-8 weeks ago, but here's a new take on that game, and it has a connection with the previously discussed MSU game. If you remember, Lorenzo White and Craig Johnson ran roughshod over us with misdirection and counter plays to the weak side. UCLA studied film of that game and saw what MSU apparently did; one of our defensive linemen would change what hand he put down for his three point stance depending on which way he was going to slant. When UCLA saw it in the game, they audibled to counter against pursuit (and we were an overagressive pursuing team anyway) For one game Eric Ball, who didn't even start but came in when Gaston Green was injured early, looked like Adrian Peterson.

Latest posts