Most Iconic Iowa Football Pictures Ever

Brings back memories of my Simon and Garfunkel rewrite after Minnesota punked us 51-14 in 2014 mainly because we couldn't stop their tight ends. I'll dust off an oldie but goodie.

"Where have you gone Jeff Tarpanian
Hawk nation turns it's lonely eyes to you
Hoo, Hoo, Hoo.

If we had Edds, Sash, and Angerer
Maxx Williams catches no TD's today.
Hey Hey Hey!
Hey Hey Hey!"

hawkscreenshot3.jpg

Hayden and the aviator shades. Only thing missing is the stache. What is cool with this photo is you can see the Hawks lined up in formation on his shades.

haydenfry12.jpg

One thing you will never hear come out of this mans mouth ................. “Well that’s football”

ajaxhelper

Another photo of the original Iowa Stadium (1890-1928). Holding 30K at its peak, it gave way to "Kinnick" stadium (Iowa Stadium until 1972) in 1929.

I personally love the river atmosphere, although I wonder how often it flooded.

ajaxhelper

A rare field-level shot of the original Iowa Field. It was the "Governor's Day" troop formation of 1927.

The paucity of press boxes is significant. The first college football radio broadcast was in 1921. (Not sure when the first Iowa FB game was on the radio--although WOC in Davenport first broadcast in 1922). Odd to think games were played here for thirty years without any radio.

Last edited:
ajaxhelper

A rare field-level shot of the original Iowa Field. It was the "Governor's Day" troop formation of 1927.

The paucity of press boxes is significant. The first college football radio broadcast was in 1921. (Not sure when the first Iowa FB game was on the radio--although WOC in Davenport first broadcast in 1922). Odd to think games were played here for thirty years without any radio.
Jim Zabel would have been in grade school when this photo was taken. Bob Brooks too. Ironically the field was very close to where the main library now resides.

Latest posts