Most Disappointing Iowa Team Ever?

OkstHawk

Given all of the hype by the Iowa media experts for this team and the on court results, the question must be asked -- is this the most disappointing Iowa basketball season of all time?

I am assuming the results aren't going to get any better by the looks of what we've seen.

Given all of the hype by the Iowa media experts for this team and the on court results, the question must be asked -- is this the most disappointing Iowa basketball season of all time?

I am assuming the results aren't going to get any better by the looks of what we've seen.

The last 3 years looked really bad early so I'm not going to say it won't improve. But if it doesn't, then it has to be at the top of the disappointing list.

Can't remember any team, even the Lick teams, so non-competitive! So yes, this in my 28 years watching Iowa basketball is right up there with most disappointing. Is there some internal strife? Late in the game nobody even bothered to set a pick or screen for JBo. What's the deal with that? Down 10 with over a minute to go and JBO has to drive because nobody is screening. Honesty I've said it before, just get better. Forget about the record. We just got to figure who should get the minutes.

Can't remember any team, even the Lick teams, so non-competitive! So yes, this in my 28 years watching Iowa basketball is right up there with most disappointing. Is there some internal strife? Late in the game nobody even bothered to set a pick or screen for JBo. What's the deal with that? Down 10 with over a minute to go and JBO has to drive because nobody is screening. Honesty I've said it before, just get better. Forget about the record. We just got to figure who should get the minutes.
I think I've figured it out...someone hooked up with Aaron Whites lady again. Damn college kids!

2001-2002 for me, started in the top ten and then things just slid further down hill until we almost bailed it out in the B10 tournament with Recker's magic run.

But I thought this year was an NIT year anyway so I didn't have high expectations. I didn't see the same optimism based off a few late season wins last year against an injured Maryland, a slumping Wisconsin, and a couple non-Jok games against Rutgers and an injury depleted OSU. We are still the same team that got killed by Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana, lost twice to Illinois, and had to rally to win at home against Rutgers. The only difference is Jok saved us from having a few more bad losses last year and it covered the warts.

The last 3 years looked really bad early so I'm not going to say it won't improve. But if it doesn't, then it has to be at the top of the disappointing list.

o_OThere has been nothing remotely close to this bad the last 3 years ... it’s been at least 6 years since any Iowa team has looked so bad.
Those 2010-2011 teams were bad but they were completely void of talent. This team has talent that is lost and poorly coached. That makes it far more disappointing than any Iowa team in recent memory.

o_OThere has been nothing remotely close to this bad the last 3 years ... it’s been at least 6 years since any Iowa team has looked so bad.
Those 2010-2011 teams were bad but they were completely void of talent. This team has talent that is lost and poorly coached. That makes it far more disappointing than any Iowa team in recent memory.
Gesell and Woodbury their senior years couldn’t get us into the sweet 16. They were four star recruits and four year starters who never really improved. I’d say that was a disappointing season

I can honestly say I have never been more wrong about a team going in to a season than this one. Wow was I off.
This team is Lickliter bad, it really is which is sad. Lack of athleticism on the roster looks just like a Lick team.

agree

I'm not terribly disappointed. The shock is that they were as good as they were the previous years.

Seriously, if I'm wrong in my statement, then he deserves a couple more years. If I'm right, keeping him is a waste of time.

I'm not terribly disappointed. The shock is that they were as good as they were the previous years.

Seriously, if I'm wrong in my statement, then he deserves a couple more years. If I'm right, keeping him is a waste of time.

How is it a waste of time? His previous 5 seasons at Iowa are 25-13, 20-13, 22-12, 22-11 and 19-15. None of those season set the world on fire, nor am I am trying to say that he has been much better than average, but he doesn't deserve fired. He also has a good frosh and soph class on campus now, with 1 top 150 kid coming in next year and a top 50 kid. Firing him now, would actually be pretty counter productive and create a pretty big mess in something that had shown progress for the most part up until this point. He will however, with out a doubt, deserve to be fired IN season next year with anything that resembles what we are watching now.

How is it a waste of time? His previous 5 seasons at Iowa are 25-13, 20-13, 22-12, 22-11 and 19-15. None of those season set the world on fire, nor am I am trying to say that he has been much better than average, but he doesn't deserve fired. He also has a good frosh and soph class on campus now, with 1 top 150 kid coming in next year and a top 50 kid. Firing him now, would actually be pretty counter productive and create a pretty big mess in something that had shown progress for the most part up until this point. He will however, with out a doubt, deserve to be fired IN season next year with anything that resembles what we are watching now.

Because he's not a good coach. His teams are terrible at many fundamentals. If I'm right, then keeping him won't work out.

Marbles senior season was tremendously bad overall.
First Iowa team to make the tournament in how many years? It was dissapointing in that we at one point were ranked in the top 10 and then fell apart. Overall I think people were happy with the season as a whole.

Fran hasn't developed like we'd hoped.. but it's not time to fire him yet. If we see the same thing next year he could be in trouble. His teams inability to play defense is staggering.

Because he's not a good coach. His teams are terrible at many fundamentals. If I'm right, then keeping him won't work out.

in his last five seasons, he's taken Iowa to three NCAA Tournaments and within a whisker of two others. He’s earned the right to have a bad season. Bad coaches don't do that. Firing him now is not even an option.

People forget in Tom Davis’ fourth season in 1989-90, Iowa was 12-16 overall and 4-14 in Big Ten play. Iowa lost some of the best players in school history — which Davis didn’t recruit — and the Hawkeyes dropped eight of their last nine games. But that struggling team turned into an NCAA squad the next three seasons.

in his last five seasons, he's taken Iowa to three NCAA Tournaments and within a whisker of two others. He’s earned the right to have a bad season. Bad coaches don't do that. Firing him now is not even an option.

People forget in Tom Davis’ fourth season in 1989-90, Iowa was 12-16 overall and 4-14 in Big Ten play. Iowa lost some of the best players in school history — which Davis didn’t recruit — and the Hawkeyes dropped eight of their last nine games. But that struggling team turned into an NCAA squad the next three seasons.
Is there a realistic path to the tournament next year? See the thread I started Fran conundrum. I really don’t think there is.