Most Damning Instance of the fact that Kirk F "Just does not grasp what is happening"

Re: Most Damning Instance of the fact that Kirk F "Just does not grasp what is happen

Iowa was +11 last year in turnover margin good for 13th in the nation and 4 wins.... One stat alone does not win games.

Re: Most Damning Instance of the fact that Kirk F "Just does not grasp what is happen

Is it out of the realm of possibility that not getting pressure on Lynch was by design; that the game plan going into the game (in regards to Lynch) was to not let him run?

Lynch didn't run at all on Saturday, but he clearly worked on his accuracy over the off-season.
Yes, I am sure that was by design. Lynch appears to become a complete QB now. Here is the thing that no one wants to address..WE ESSENTIALLY HAVE A MAC team talent wise. If we were playing in the MAC that would be fine. KF hangs his hat on execution.But execution is what often kills this team at critical times. You then blame the players for lack of exection..But who recruited and coached these guys? There is no excuse for getting beat by MAC teams at our place. Spin it any way you want. The amount of money spent on this program dwarfs what NIU spends. NIU is getting alot for their $$$$$$. What are we getting????????

Yes, I am sure that was by design. Lynch appears to become a complete QB now. Here is the thing that no one wants to address..WE ESSENTIALLY HAVE A MAC team talent wise. If we were playing in the MAC that would be fine. KF hangs his hat on execution.But execution is what often kills this team at critical times. You then blame the players for lack of exection..But who recruited and coached these guys? There is no excuse for getting beat by MAC teams at our place. Spin it any way you want. The amount of money spent on this program dwarfs what NIU spends. NIU is getting alot for their $$$$$$. What are we getting????????

Umm....a bunch of crybaby fans?

True, but they are out in full force now. I will wait and see how this season unfolds before I decide how I feel. All I know is that I still can't wait for Saturdays to get here during football season so I can watch my Hawks! I want them to win every game, but I sure don't jump off a building when they have a bad run. If Kirk cant right the ship he will go, but it won't be my decision and I won't get to choose when it happens. Regardless of who the coach is, I will still be a die hard Hawk fan.

Umm....a bunch of crybaby fans?
what the hell do you see that makes you think things are getting better? Our 3rd string should be able to go toe to toe with their 1st string. Everybodys expectations for our tema under a coach who has been here 12+ seasons is to win 6 games.. wow..just frickin wow.. What that money has bought is blind fans

This quote from today's Teleconference is most telling

Ferentz: "The bottom line is its tough to win a game when you have three turnovers."

He just does not see that the first two would not have had any effect on the game had he just simply realized that the only way to lose for certain was throwing the ball when your running attack was averaging 5 YPC.

There is no excuse for the third turnover, you let your ground game eat up a tired and overmatched Defense by running the ball 3 times from that first and ten onward, maybe even running again on 4th and short.

The fact that he says the above quote shows me that he lacks foresight into the understanding of fundamental football knowledge.

While some may say this is hindsight, we all had the benefit of the 58:30 of football prior to that point and all indications were "simply run the ball into FG position, take a shot at the kick and if you miss or end up having to punt just run over them again in OT."

and when Iowa does run the ball in these situations, posters like you ***** that we are playing not to lose and going into Overtime.

Seriously, I agree that we should have run the ball more in the second half and on 3rd and short, but to say run the ball all 4 downs is the thing to do with a minute and change left, I question that. If it doesn't work, you'd say Ferentz is being too conservative. blah blah blah

Last edited:

It was well publicized that Iowa planned to make Lynch beat us with his arm. The game plan worked, except that Lynch beat us with his arm...that, and individual mistakes by our corner backs that gave up three TD's.

And there lies the issue with running a 3-4 (Cover 4/Cover 2) defensive scheme. Successful execution of the Cover 4/Cover 2 requires getting quick pressure on the QB otherwise it exposes your secondary too much. When you have a QB that can run we have to pick our poison. Do you contain the QB and sacrifice the pass rush and open ourselves up to the deep pass, or rush the QB and hope he doesn't run all over us?

The achilles heel of this defense has always been teams with QB's who can run (think ISU - Steele Janz, or NW - Persa). Give it up to NIU they had a better game plan than we did. They may have executed slightly better than Iowa, but they made their share of mistakes as well.

Last edited:

It was well publicized that Iowa planned to make Lynch beat us with his arm. The game plan worked, except that Lynch beat us with his arm...that, and individual mistakes by our corner backs that gave up three TD's.

Iowa loves to make QBs win it with their arms. The problem is, they do.

And there lies the issue with running a 3-4 (Cover 4) defensive scheme. Successful execution of the Cover 4 requires getting quick pressure on the QB otherwise it exposes your secondary too much. When you have a QB that can run we have to pick our poison. Do you contain the QB and sacrifice the pass rush and open ourselves up to the deep pass, or rush the QB and hope he doesn't run all over us?

The achilles heel of this defense has always been teams with QB's who can run (think ISU - Steele Janz, or NW - Persa). Give it up to NIU they had a better game plan than we did. They may have executed slightly better than Iowa, but they made their share of mistakes as well.

I don't necessarily disagree with your point; remember, however, that whatever defense you put out there, it has strengths and weaknesses. The job of the offense is to exploit the weaknesses...the old "scratch where is itches" philosophy from Hayden. Change ups on coverage, pass rush, etc. are part of the chess game. Does Iowa play it "straight up" too much of the time? Could be.

Latest posts