More Smoke Regarding North Carolina and Georgia Tech

How does KU leave with the GOR? The Big 12 would get KUs TV revenue for the next decade+. Most of the Big 10 money is from BTN. I could see it happening later in the GOR cycle but right now it doesn't seem like the economic move that KU or the B10 would want.

What adding GT does is it makes it so that tOSU, Michigan, PSU and the rest of the B1G are playing games down there in Georgia, smack dab in the middle of $EC country.

This is a very real point. And I think that once the Big Ten goes to 16 (and they will within two years, before their new TV deal is negotiated before 2017) I think Michigan, Ohio State and PSU will all be in the same division and they will be in those new TV markets

Just my take here

The next school in is Virginia

North Carolina is second.

Georgia Tech is a joke

This is just Espn making things up
You're right. Virginia is next. All of the reasons for adding Maryland hold true for Virginia. Filching Virginia does a couple of things:

1. It put pressure on the SEC to expand stealing two schools from the ACC.
2. Losing 3 prestigious schools to the SEC and B1G will cause the ACC to lose its BCS status.
3. The XII will claim the leftovers (and end up with basically a Great Plains Division and an Atlantic Coast Division)
4. The B1G won't chose a 16th team immediately but allow one last exit ramp for Notre Dame to join the B1G.
5. North Carolina won't be the 16th. If ND says "no" again, then it will most likely be UConn. If the B1G Jim wants to throw a parting jab at the Irish, then the B1G could chose the #2 Catholic school (Boston College) and add Massachusetts eyeballs and put a nice bow on the Northeast.

In the end, the other four super-conferences will have the conference champion make it to the football final four. Notre Dame could save the ACC if they join in football before any more schools are pilfered. They won't join sooner rather than later. After the ACC is bleeding they will at the landscape to the football final four and then decide to join the independent television minded XII along with the major ACC survivors.

The BCS super-conferences will offer a fifth spot for non-aligned schools that will allow a play-in game and be improbable to reach (something like a Top 4 ranking in the BCS Poll).

We're probably going to end up with three regional conferences and a conference with two non-contiguous regional divisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the B1G is going to stop at 16, I think they are going to 20. In that they add.

Boston College (HUGE TV MARKET)
Virginia Prestige and swallows up DC
UNC
Georgia Tech
Kansas or Mizzou (maintain midwest roots)

and yes, once these dominoes fall, Notre Dame.

You can then accomplish a few things.

1) With Notre Dame you are truly a nationwide conference
2) You have presence throughout the Midwest, New England, Mid Atlantic and Southeast.
3) You can create two conferences and four divisions

Conf A:

Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Illinois

Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Indiana
Ohio State

Conf B

Nebraska
Penn State
Notre Dame
KU/MU
Boston College

Virginia
Maryland
Rutgers
UNC
Georgia Tech

There is ZERO chance that the champion of the B1Gs doesn't get into the big four playoff. So now, you have no need for out of conference slates.

They'll add a 13th game to keep 7 home games per institution and then go to a 12 game conference slate. Playing all 9 teams in your conference and 3 in the other division.

Semi's played on campus and the championship played between Soldier Field and MetLife Stadium.

Remember, you heard it here first.

I don't think the B1G is going to stop at 16, I think they are going to 20. In that they add.

Boston College (HUGE TV MARKET)
Virginia Prestige and swallows up DC
UNC
Georgia Tech
Kansas or Mizzou (maintain midwest roots)

and yes, once these dominoes fall, Notre Dame.

You can then accomplish a few things.

1) With Notre Dame you are truly a nationwide conference
2) You have presence throughout the Midwest, New England, Mid Atlantic and Southeast.
3) You can create two conferences and four divisions

Conf A:

Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Illinois

Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Indiana
Ohio State

Conf B

Nebraska
Penn State
Notre Dame
KU/MU
Boston College

Virginia
Maryland
Rutgers
UNC
Georgia Tech

There is ZERO chance that the champion of the B1Gs doesn't get into the big four playoff. So now, you have no need for out of conference slates.

They'll add a 13th game to keep 7 home games per institution and then go to a 12 game conference slate. Playing all 9 teams in your conference and 3 in the other division.

Semi's played on campus and the championship played between Soldier Field and MetLife Stadium.

Remember, you heard it here first.

The best possible solution to expansion would be to have an 'old Big Ten teams' division and a 'new teams' division. Unfortunately, they're never going to do that.

The Big Ten quit being a Midwest only conference when Penn St joined.

Yah, still trying to wrap my mind around Rutgers and Maryland. Say it isn't so Joe, say it isn't so. I think this eastern footprint is the beginning of a much larger footprint that is likely already in the works but not known publicly. Stay tuned for further developments.

Last edited:

Latest posts