Monika waived by Sparks

Zstatman

The LA Sparks announced they have waived Monika and wish her Good Luck............

Maybe the Mercury will pick her up and she can play with Negan?

Will any team pick her up or is she on her way to medical school?

Last edited:
I think the future is bright for her regardless of what she chooses, but I think if she chooses to pursue basketball, she can catch on somewhere. Megan had to adjust and took a minute to find her niche.

As mentioned here in HN before, there aren't that many roster spots in the WNBA. Too bad there's not a G League equivalent. They haven't figured out yet how have women's pro basketball make money.

It does look like Megan will stick with the Mercury as Brittany Griner's backup. I say that because she appears to be the only other center on the camp roster. Any, the Mercury like her corgi......

The fact that the last three games the Iowa women played generated more interest than 25+ years of WNBA is absolutely hilarious.
People get so butthurt about it being sexist, but there's effectively zero interest and it's very clear. Women's sports aren't generally accepted as being in the same zip code of excitement as men's. If they were they'd sell tickets and make money.

I really think some people would make it a requirement under penalty of death that we all watch women's basketball and buy a minimum of $500 worth of tickets to college and pro games every 12 months.

I get that some people had daughters play or think it's a hoot to watch, but 99.99% of the population couldn't name 2 WNBA teams.

It will be interesting to see what kind of a bump in the ratings Caitlin gives the WNBA if any. I think I will watch my first WNBA game the first opportunity I have to watch a game involving Caitlin.

Ain't gonna happen regardless. There's no demand.

Also, women's professional b-ball is not a money maker. Actually, it is pretty much subsidized by the NBA, to my understanding. I think Ashley Joen's contract after being a second round pick is only going to be like $60,000 something a year to start. Now, that is a decent salary for a young individual just starting but it is no where near other pro sport leagues.

It will be interesting to see what kind of a bump in the ratings Caitlin gives the WNBA if any. I think I will watch my first WNBA game the first opportunity I have to watch a game involving Caitlin.

Yea., but people are going to tune in at first, but it will fade away over time and you won't seek out games like in the beginning. After Keegan got drafted by the Kings, I looked at their schedule as well as their viewing options, than eventually just said F it, I guess I won't see too many games over the course of a year. I'd try to catch on national stations but didn't take the effort to really look that up as the year went on.
I did tune in to their playoff games.

Also, women's professional b-ball is not a money maker. Actually, it is pretty much subsidized by the NBA, to my understanding. I think Ashley Joen's contract after being a second round pick is only going to be like $60,000 something a year to start. Now, that is a decent salary for a young individual just starting but it is no where near other pro sport leagues.
Yep it's just not exciting to most people. The college game always carries a bunch of backstory and drama to make it more like a soap opera, but the pro game just isn't worth tuning into.