Monday Morning Stuff - RPI, Lunardi, etc.

True. Win or loss, other opponents' RPI being higher is obviously helpful. That said, I think ISU having a high RPI would have a bigger impact on our RPI if we had won that game, rather than losing.

I don't recall exactly how the formula works, but isn't there some sort of multiplier applied to road wins? I'm not sure if that applies to road losses or not.

Yes, the loss counts as a .5 loss on the road while a road win counts as 1.5 with neutral courts counting as a full win or loss.

But when talking about a tournament resume the Iowa State loss will not have much of an impact unless they fall out of a RPI top 100, and I can't see that happening.

I believe there IS room for more than 1 major D1 school in the state. Look at last year! We had 3! It helps that MooU goes to NYC and Vegas and TX and wherever else they get their transfers, er ... uh ... I mean players. One of the 3 schools definitely has to get their players from out of state. Still, coach has the right plan, IMHO in getting the best players from IA, IL and Missouri and every once-in-awhile from Nebraska. Michigan is a good source, too. Clearly, getting the BEST players in Iowa is the foundation. How many of us would like to have had the Center from UNI last year? Or the big kid from Augustana that beat us in the pre-season. Upper level AAU basketball in Iowa has lots of talent. A lot more than people outside the state would have you believe. Nick Baer being a walk-on? How has that worked out?!!!

UNI really isn't a major D1 school, they are a very good mid major.

Yes, the loss counts as a .5 loss on the road while a road win counts as 1.5 with neutral courts counting as a full win or loss.

But when talking about a tournament resume the Iowa State loss will not have much of an impact unless they fall out of a RPI top 100, and I can't see that happening.

Thanks. So in other words, a road win helps you a lot more than a road loss hurts you. How do they score home wins/losses?

I'm not worried about ISU's RPI, either. In fact, they seem solidly Top 50, even.

Thanks. So in other words, a road win helps you a lot more than a road loss hurts you. How do they score home wins/losses?

I'm not worried about ISU's RPI, either. In fact, they seem solidly Top 50, even.

Oops, I am off by a tenth. Road wins are 1.4 while losses are .6 on the flip side a home win would be .6 while a home loss is 1.4 (neutral sites count whole). Keep in mind the team win percentage is only 25% of the RPI score, the bulk of it (50%) is the opponents win percentage, and the other 25% is their opponents win percentage.

Here is a link that explains the formula - http://www.collegerpi.com/rpifaq.html

With a little patience and a spreadsheet a person could calculate the RPI themselves. This is also why people say not to pay attention to the RPI early in the season because every win & loss weigh's heavily in the RPI score while later in the season it doesn't move as much since there is a much bigger pool of games that have been played.

To much bball to play yet. Root for the clowns to lose and go to the NIT

Would love to see the Clowns make the tournament as one of the four play-in teams and argue how those are suddenly First Round Games as opposed to play-in games as they were when we played Tennessee.

I believe there IS room for more than 1 major D1 school in the state. Look at last year! We had 3! It helps that MooU goes to NYC and Vegas and TX and wherever else they get their transfers, er ... uh ... I mean players. One of the 3 schools definitely has to get their players from out of state. Still, coach has the right plan, IMHO in getting the best players from IA, IL and Missouri and every once-in-awhile from Nebraska. Michigan is a good source, too. Clearly, getting the BEST players in Iowa is the foundation. How many of us would like to have had the Center from UNI last year? Or the big kid from Augustana that beat us in the pre-season. Upper level AAU basketball in Iowa has lots of talent. A lot more than people outside the state would have you believe. Nick Baer being a walk-on? How has that worked out?!!!

Agree with you whole heartedy..AAU has done a lot to develop talent in Iowa. Look at where some of the TOP players in the country are coming from. Iowa. All Fran has to do is lock up the top Iowa players and round out the class with out of state players. Couldn't do this 20 or 10 years ago. But now we can. Let ISU do the transfer thing. Its bound to bite them in the @ss.

I'd love to have Lunardi's job. So much season left and so many ups and downs. Yet ESPN pays him to take a guess.

I don't think he is guessing, He is projecting seeds based off of how things stand today. It will change tomorrow and will definitely change by season's end.

I don't think he is guessing, He is projecting seeds based off of how things stand today. It will change tomorrow and will definitely change by season's end.

And considering that the committee doesn't say anything until Selection Sunday, we have no idea how they would actually pick. Lunardi's job isn't very tough at all. It's 100% driven by web traffic, because it's meaningless guesswork that will bring fans to the site in droves. In other words, it's classic ESPN content.

And considering that the committee doesn't say anything until Selection Sunday, we have no idea how they would actually pick. Lunardi's job isn't very tough at all. It's 100% driven by web traffic, because it's meaningless guesswork that will bring fans to the site in droves. In other words, it's classic ESPN content.

Yep, it meaningless, stupid, contrived stuff.......and yet I will check it out every time Iowa makes it into is brackets. Well done ESPN, well done.