Monday Morning Stuff - RPI, Lunardi, etc.

1977Hawkeye

Hawks at #9 in the RPI this morning. FSU now a Top 50 win:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/teamId/2294

As of Saturday, Joe Lunardi listed Iowa at 11th, then tack on the win over Michigan. Presumably, he would list Iowa as a 3 seed in his next bracketology, for what it's worth on January 18th. Some teams ahead of Iowa lost, though. MSU, UVA, and Miami (I think).
https://twitter.com/ESPNLunardi?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Saturday seed list (CAPS=AQ): 01-Okla, 02-Kansas, 03-UNC, 04-NOVA, 05-Xavier, 06-MichSt, 07-Md, 08-WVU, 09-UVa, 10-Miami, 11-IOWA, 12-A&M...

5 top 50 wins. Two on the road and one on neutral court. Room for more and room for more and a few more top 100 wins.

6-3 vs. Top 50 as of right now, actually, since FSU just climbed to 48.

It'll take some doing to move up from the 2 slot. Guess I still expect Lunardi to consider us a 3, but I'd have to believe a strong 3, possibly low 2, after yesterday's W.

What do you guys think of the ISU Oklahoma game? I hate rooting for ISU but I'm starting to dream big here and Oklahoma is 1 team that's in our way.

Let's just keep it going,we have a lot games left to play before March Madness.It would be nice to finally not getting a 8-9 seed.Keep winning and the respect will come.Go Hawks
The challenge is win more games without a loss than the football team.

The better ISU is, the better it is for us of course. Being an L, though, I'm guessing ISU's exact RPI won't have much impact on us just as long as they stay in the Top 50, so not sure their game against OU makes a ton of difference. They're in the teens still, so am not too worried about that.

Gramps is right - still a lot of hoops left to play, so Iowa's challenge is to sustain their level of play. Starts with avoiding an egg laying @Rutgers on Thursday.. Then two big games coming with Purdue & MD. Hoping for at least a split there.

I'd love to be at least in that 2/3 slot - so that we're still the favorite in that round of 32 game. Whatever makes it easier for us to get to the Sweet 16+. Get to that point, and you never know how you might benefit from other upsets in the bracket..

Last edited:
What do you guys think of the ISU Oklahoma game? I hate rooting for ISU but I'm starting to dream big here and Oklahoma is 1 team that's in our way.

But Iowa can take care of business with or without Iowa State winning. I'm hoping ISU starts slipping into being irrelevant again, really only room for 1 major D1 school in the state of Iowa. To me building a tournament resume through other teams wins/losses feels like building a house of cards, what's real is what Iowa does with the remaining conference games and then the conference tournament. Since Iowa lost to Iowa State about the only thing you don't want to see happen is for that loss to turn into a bad loss, which means they drop out of the RPI top 100 and I have a hard time seeing that happen.

But Iowa can take care of business with or without Iowa State winning. I'm hoping ISU starts slipping into being irrelevant again, really only room for 1 major D1 school in the state of Iowa. To me building a tournament resume through other teams wins/losses feels like building a house of cards, what's real is what Iowa does with the remaining conference games and then the conference tournament. Since Iowa lost to Iowa State about the only thing you don't want to see happen is for that loss to turn into a bad loss, which means they drop out of the RPI top 100 and I have a hard time seeing that happen.

Generally, I'd agree with this. But when you're talking about being in line for 1-4 seeds, those little things can be the difference. Teams looking at seeds in that range have all taken care of business.

Generally, I'd agree with this. But when you're talking about being in line for 1-4 seeds, those little things can be the difference. Teams looking at seeds in that range have all taken care of business.

True. Win or loss, other opponents' RPI being higher is obviously helpful. That said, I think ISU having a high RPI would have a bigger impact on our RPI if we had won that game, rather than losing.

I don't recall exactly how the formula works, but isn't there some sort of multiplier applied to road wins? I'm not sure if that applies to road losses or not.

It's too late for us to play our way into a 1 seed without other teams losing. It's also too late to play our way to the number 1 ranking without other teams losing. More that likely we will lose too many games for either of those things to happen but like I said, I'm dreaming big.

How good or bad ISU is won't matter for our seeding. If we win the B1G the worse we will be is a #2 seed.

I believe there IS room for more than 1 major D1 school in the state. Look at last year! We had 3! It helps that MooU goes to NYC and Vegas and TX and wherever else they get their transfers, er ... uh ... I mean players. One of the 3 schools definitely has to get their players from out of state. Still, coach has the right plan, IMHO in getting the best players from IA, IL and Missouri and every once-in-awhile from Nebraska. Michigan is a good source, too. Clearly, getting the BEST players in Iowa is the foundation. How many of us would like to have had the Center from UNI last year? Or the big kid from Augustana that beat us in the pre-season. Upper level AAU basketball in Iowa has lots of talent. A lot more than people outside the state would have you believe. Nick Baer being a walk-on? How has that worked out?!!!

One of the best things about this season is there's no clear #1 team with duke and Kentucky having down years (for them). Their are some really impressive teams like oklahoma and Villanova but nobody that iowa would be huge underdogs against

Its truly wide open

One of the best things about this season is there's no clear #1 team with duke and Kentucky having down years (for them). Their are some really impressive teams like oklahoma and Villanova but nobody that iowa would be huge underdogs against

Its truly wide open

The opportunity is there to do awesome things...

Latest posts