Mom's Blessing Allows Alger to Become a Hawkeye

HawkeyeHypnosis

Mom's Blessing Allows Alger to Become a Hawkeye - Iowa Official Athletic Site

From article:

A three-time Iowa high school state wrestling champion from Lisbon, Iowa, Alger was one of the top recruits in the nation in 1983. But with the Hawkeye program seeking its sixth consecutive national title, money in the UI scholarship pool paled to what rivals had available.

"When (head coach) Dan Gable showed up at my house, I had all these full-rides from different places, and I had a half-ride at Iowa," Alger recalls. "My mom said, `Royce, you have to go for the golden ring.' I think of my mom a lot, because I came from basically a poor family, I had a full letter of intent on my table, and my mom said you have to take the golden ring, even if it's half. You will make your way."

Chasing a `golden ring' led Alger to a career record of 131-12-3 and individual NCAA titles in 1986 (158 pounds) and 1987 (167); he was part of four Big Ten Conference and three NCAA championship teams. Iowa was 69-4 in dual meets from 1983-87.

Alger said coming to the UI and training under Gable was a perfect storm, although he would rather "do time than go back through those workouts." Gable was head coach of the Hawkeyes from 1976-97.

"One thing (Gable) always said is that you can do more," Alger said. "That is one thing I took away from this program, even now that I have my own business in Des Moines. When I want to push away from the desk, I know I can meet one more client or one more prospect."

"There are always some foolish people out there," Alger said. "A lot of people had me painted into a corner as a brawler without a lot of finesse, so my skill sets weren't really appreciated. I don't consider myself as much of a wrestler, per se, if you looked it up in a dictionary.

"I consider myself a taker: take positions and take control of the mat, the crowd, the ref. I was more of a throwback. You wouldn't see a lot of rolling around or high-falootin moves; you would see a lot of grinding, a lot of workmanship. Grab your lunch pail and go to work."

When he isn't in the office, Alger, 47, is back near a mat, as a camp clinician, assisting with the United States World Team, or following his sons, Eli (15) and Jesse (11), who are wrestlers.

Eli and Jesse also accompanied their father to the Hall of Fame ceremony, so they heard the warranted applause: most of it for their father, but an adequate amount for Grandma Faye.

After all, she is the one that directed Royce to chase gold at the University of Iowa.

a lot of ppl were dissing alger this weekend for what he was wearing calling him gay and some pretty mean stuff luckily i was just buzzing and not drunk but sure as hell was standing and cheering for him!

you have to know him to understand why he does the things he does in public lol

alger wears weird stuff like this all the time he dressed up like a oky state cowboy for their home dual...who does that?

Latest posts