Mixed feelings on Hubbard's departure

tweeterhawk

Since this story broke I have been angry and upset by Hubbard's decision, especially considering the way Fran and Gary stuck their necks out for the kid. He could have contributed valuable minutes, points and boards. I'm also angry that his commitment apparently brought an end to discussions with another guard who could contribute.

That said, I'm also feeling a bit of relief. The somewhat fragile reputation of the Iowa basketball program was on the line with his recruitment and scholarship; any slip-up the next two years would have been magnified 10 times over. That risk is now gone.

So is any chance of an improved season over last year.
We better all start praying for the continued health of Bryce Cartwright.

When will something good happen for this program? I am sick to my stomach over this.
Skipping supper and going straight to the bottle.

Sounds like the decision to leave was not his own, so really how much worse could this look for Iowa basketball? A convicted felon is given a scholarship, paraded around on a redemption tour, and then forced out out the door before he even puts on an Iowa uniform.

I supposed compared to Pierre Pierce, though, it doesn't sound that bad.

Sounds like the decision to leave was not his own, so really how much worse could this look for Iowa basketball? A convicted felon is given a scholarship, paraded around on a redemption tour, and then forced out out the door before he even puts on an Iowa uniform.

I supposed compared to Pierre Pierce, though, it doesn't sound that bad.

I hadn't heard that. How was he forced to leave?

Beginning to sound like it was grades. Though if you don't want to believe that, him leaving on his own accord makes it an even more impressive story.

This 'forced to leave' stuff seems like a scapegoat to me. He's not some 18 or 19 year old who still is under the wings of his parents. The guy is 26 years old. Barring being kicked off the team for violations, the majority of this decision falls on his shoulders.

This 'forced to leave' stuff seems like a scapegoat to me. He's not some 18 or 19 year old who still is under the wings of his parents. The guy is 26 years old. Barring being kicked off the team for violations, the majority of this decision falls on his shoulders.

Um, isn't being kicked off a team also forced to leave?

What do you honestly think "forced to leave" means?

He very well may have been kicked off the team. But don't you think they would have said that? By you're definition of being "forced to leave" it would have been a team violation, such as grades. Why wouldn't they say that he had been dismissed from the team? And for all us simple peasant folk know that announcement might surface in the coming days.

Or could your notion of being forced off the team be left open for interpretation. As in family members, friends, etc. pushing Hubbard to do one thing or the other. Which is a completely different ball of wax, and one which I was saying could most likely be ruled out.

I couldn't care less. This guy wasn't a Hawkeye, he was just a recruit.
See ya later, dummy. Good luck finding a decent jobby.